Your Holiday Matters (I had a dream)

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
marcus

Your Holiday Matters (I had a dream)

Post by marcus »

About three months ago, here on LayMyHat, I suggested the idea of a rental property listing site run by and for owners of rental properties.

The idea was met with enthusiasm, and about 35-40 of us formed a project team to see if we could come up with something. The main goals were: it should be run by and for property owners; it should be selective about which properties are included; and it should be free or cheap to advertise on the site for appropriate properties.

The goal is not to list just the finest most luxurious properties, nor to list every property possible, but to welcome any properties, large or small, expensive or not, where the owner is genuinely concerned that the holidaymaker has a good holiday.

The outcome is http://www.yourholidaymatters.com/ and it has now gone live, initially for LMH members, friends and people we know personally. It will be launched to a wider public in a few weeks.

The site is low cost (initially free in certain circumstances, including the first 50 applicants). The 'cost', as you will see on the site, is the need to write an article about the region around your property, and to provide a link from your personal website to YHM. And you need to apply and be accepted!

We are confident in this project, and hope all will join us. The more quality properties that we can list, the faster our reputation and success will grow. So please do take a look, submit your property, and give us plenty of feedback about the site and the approach we have taken - this feedback is very important to all of us on the project team.

Cheers
Marcus
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

For those interesting in applying below is a direct link to the form

http://yourholidaymatters.com/apply/YHM ... nform.html

Have any of you had a chance to look at the site yet or have any feedback. It would be very useful for us.
Always Learning
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I think it looks terrific. Very well presented and easy to use. Well done everyone.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

kayley wrote:I think it looks terrific. Very well presented and easy to use. Well done everyone.
Any chance of you coming and joining us?

Alan
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Alan,I'd love to, but my Granny always said that "everyone has a talent for something". Unfortunately she never said what mine was and I'm still looking for it! It certainly isn't pool maintainance.
I haven't a clue what I could offer you!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

kayley,
I haven't a clue what I could offer you!
A nice letting property owned by a nice person is the best starting point. Don't take my word for it, send a PM to Paolo and he will tell you all about it.

Alan
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

looks good !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

HI,

The website looks good, I am sure that many of you have put a huge amount of time and effort. I hope it will be a great success for you.

Saludos,
alexjanderson

Post by alexjanderson »

Well done...the site looks great.

The before/after pictures of the ironing board/diving board and the party granny brough a smile to my face.

Wish you all every success.

A
mvus

Post by mvus »

The website looks very appealing Marcus, well done to all involved

What software did you use in the end, openrealty or something else?

How do you manage to get a page rank of 5 when the sites only just gone live? Normally google don't give you anything for at least 3 months
Mountain Goat

Feedback to YHM

Post by Mountain Goat »

Could I suggest in the 'holiday experience' form:

1) Snow sports (half a dozen I guess)
2) Mountain sports
3) Paragliding / gliding / hangliding etc.
4) Language learning / experience
5) Are cookery/wine courses already mentioned?
6) Naturist (if that's what it's called these days)
7) Divorce (you've got Honeymoon, Wedding, so...)

Goat
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Mon May 15, 2006 8:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Mountain Goat, when I have time I might do one on the SnowSports. You could apply to join YHM , but you will need a website, and you have to write an article for the site.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Well, thanks Helen, but I'm not good at joining things; committees, bad sherry and stuff. And an essay?

Mind you, if we could negotiate about that ironing board theme you might have a recruit.

Goat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

No commitee involvement necessary, and you can pay 20 euros not to write the article. I have no influence on the ironing board though, sorry.
marcus

Post by marcus »

I've not been around much for a while, but this thread shows some interesting thoughts.

Just to clarify the purpose of Your Holiday Matters - this is quite simply to list properties that are owned and run by people that are keen to ensure their visitors have a good holiday, by offering a nice, value for money property and by being attentive to the needs of their guests. That is generally why we find ourselves at Lay My Hat in the first place, because we are that kind of owner.

So just to clarify:
YHM does not only list 'posh' properties;
You don't need to be a fabulous article writer or photographer, It costs either nothing or very little to join,
The approach we have taken should mean it gets found in search engines and hence gets bookings for members.
Finally you don't need to have any interest in committees - it is a rental listing site not a private members only club - although all owners listed on the site are able to have a say in the future direction of the site and company, if they want to.

And it needs the support of like-minded owners. So don't be put off applying by any of the above, get yourself listed :D