Pretty rude enquiry...

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
bananacake

Pretty rude enquiry...

Post by bananacake »

Hi everyone hope all is well at LMH! Need your help with a difficult enquiry...

There has been a long chain of emails going back and forth with a potential guest. Today they asked if they could have a call to discuss. (So far every question they have asked i have replied with the details they require).

I had called the guest and the guest advised to call back later. Then later I received another email from the guestlto call another person (that I was not corresponding with)

My reply to that email was if there was any specific questions to please feel free to email me with any question. Their reply?...

"If you are not willing to discuss we will no longer consider your holiday rental"

?????

How would you reply to such an email?
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

Maybe it's another member of the party who has specific questions to ask and wants to hear the answers first hand?

If you're prepared to speak to one person, why not the other?
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

Hi Richard, yes you are right - its just that im not sure i appreciate the tone of the reply i received.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

With an attitude like that it sounds like they may be trouble! I personally would also be a little concerned about dealing with more than one member of the party. If things are in writing they cannot be confused or misinterpreted either.
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

Nemo wrote:With an attitude like that it sounds like they may be trouble!
My thoughts entirely too!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
Shinnie

Post by Shinnie »

I agree, not a nice tone at all. IF you don't want to lose the business......
You could respond stating (nicely) that you prefer to use email as it allows you to give full and complete answers to any and all questions, whilst at the same time providing a written record for both owner and guests. And that you have found in the past (from your vast experience of this business) that it is the most satisfactory way to proceed for both parties.
Marks

Post by Marks »

You can always ring and then confirm in writing. Personally I would want to hang onto a potential booking.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I agree with the written reply explanation, coupled with a phone call. Anyway, why do you have to ring them - they should be ringing you? It really depends whether you want to entertain this rude person. Personally speaking, I would rather have an empty space than the worry of a difficult person staying.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Before jumping to rash conclusions, are you aware of this "campaign" being waged by HomeAway
Very prominent Pop-Up on all adverts exhort holidaymakers to PHONE !

OK, it may not be the case in this instance, but I am always wary of mixed messages or misunderstood emails.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Our t&cs are clear enough stating that; the rental contract is between ourselves and the 'hirer' not 2 - 3 or 4 hirers. It is the 'hirers' duty to inform all the members of their party of the terms of the rental once they have received that info from us, or from the more concise written version within our own website. That way, In the event of any future issues or accidental damage etc the owner would be dealing with one hirer and not 2 or 3.
It's unreasonable for anyone to ask an owner to call round other 'possible members' of their party to explain what is already written in black and white for all to see - if only they'd take the trouble to do so.
Call the first enquirer to 'discuss' as many of their queries as you possibly can, then urge them to ensure that all possible members of their party are acquainted with your written t&cs prior to completing your booking process.
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Marks

Post by Marks »

FelicityA wrote:Anyway, why do you have to ring them - they should be ringing you?
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I really cannot see the problem speaking to another member of the party, confirm by email to the original enquirer if necessary. It might just be one question that needs answering which will get the booking.

If this other member of the party were to phone you, would you refuse to speak to them?

My old boss once said: Email is the enemy of swift resolution. Couldn't agree more.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Afrique

Post by Afrique »

I have had this situation and it was just a language issue. My guests arrived (they were German) from Germany, speaking perfect Portuguese then flipped to perfect English. I was very impressed. But our phone conversations had been hard, as my partners German and Portuguese is perfect written but put her on a phone and she struggles too. They are probably asking you to call another person who speaks and understands better than they do.

Or they could just be miserable bastards.

:D
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Marks wrote:
I really cannot see the problem speaking to another member of the party, confirm by email to the original enquirer if necessary. It might just be one question that needs answering which will get the booking.
I agree with you Marks. There could be all sort of reasons why one particular person wants to discuss something. The way I see it, enquiries are about people, not contracts. If you want the booking you have to be prepared to form a relationship with the enquirer - or enquirers - on their terms.

By all means follow up any conversation with a confirmatory email to the original enquirer, which keeps everything clear and open.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I agree with the general trend, speak to them, but follow up in email and be wary.

Our house was advertised as disabled-friendly and I would frequently have direct phone conversations with the disabled party to ascertain their needs and whether we could fulfil them.

Some people can come across as very abrupt, maybe because they are stressed or doubtful, so it's worth making a bit of an extra effort. If they continue to be rude, then your options are clear.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
snoozeboy

Post by snoozeboy »

I would reply with "thanks".
Cosy, duplex loft sleeps 4-6 in Chatel village centre - www.chatelaccommodation.com