Windows 8

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Essar

Windows 8

Post by Essar »

Just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - no problems so far - I DON'T LIKE IT!
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I don't even like 7 so am sure I will hate 8! Would go back to XP any day. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes I've had it for a couple of weeks or so now, but it was a pain having to modify it to get it a bit more user friendly. I guess they think it's user friendly already........:lol:
CSE

Post by CSE »

Working in the vacation trade and you never thought to read the reviews? Shame on you :wink:
From what I have gathered it is not so user friendly because of the vast changes to the layout. However wait a while and you will be able to get ad ons, sorry that now should read apps, to help you create a look that is a little more reassuring.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

casasantoestevo wrote:Working in the vacation trade and you never thought to read the reviews? Shame on you :wink:
Read the reviews, didn't like what I read and decided to hang onto stable and user-friendly XP Pro for as long as possible. But, with a couple of software upgrades impossible recently due to support for XP having been withdrawn, I feel the sharp teeth of bleak reality snapping ever closer.
Jim
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I already have an app installed that puts it in Windows Classic view, but for some reason it disappeared last night. Things I am finding annoying are the menu bar appearing over the top of whatever I am doing down the right hand side, and the window I am working on closing and returning to the apps screen. Don't like hovering in the corner to get my desktop back . I could go on, but I'm sure I will get used to it. I haven't really had a great deal of time to sit down with it.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Jimbo, thankfully we went to windows 7 recently. Our PC for customers use is Linux. However Ubuntu has also changed to this square app idea, all be it in a toned down way. Managed to find a "light" version which runs on older machines.
http://lubuntu.net/

I like this review of Windows 8: http://youtu.be/v4boTbv9_nU It really illustrates it is going to be a big learning curve for those who want to use it.
pambon

Post by pambon »

I had to finally take the plunge two weeks ago and with my new laptop acquired Windows 7. Still prefer the old XP and I miss it, but am getting to grips with Number Seven. Don't like Outlook for the post, found OE easier to manage, but all this may be a question of not being able to teach an old dog new tricks :oops:
CSE

Post by CSE »

Here for those who want to go down the 8 road.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/buy
Not a bad price, but for me I will stay with 7.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Resurrecting this to say that Windows 8 came into my life this morning and by tonight I shall probably have committed harakiri.

Among the awfulness is that I can't seem to find out how to install Chrome. I can't live without Chrome. Plus the links sent with new LMH post notifications are no longer linked, as it were.

And that's just for starters. Currently installing anti-virus and making recovery discs - had to hunt around to find out how to do the latter as well as I expected an invitation to do that to be part of the set up.

Thank goodness for trusty old Acer Aspire with XP!
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
pambon

Post by pambon »

pepsipuss wrote: Thank goodness for trusty old Acer Aspire with XP!

Hear hear. I still have my old Acer Aspire with XP handy. Plus I have some emails from forthcoming guests on it that I haven't been able to transfer to Microsoft Outlook.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I have now suffered the indignity of having to call on the HP Help Centre (clearly located somewhere in INdia) because in the middle of doing my recovery discs, I accidentally moved the mouse. I lost the screen and when I finally got it back it said that the operation had failed and wouldn't let me back in to do it again.... The chap seems to have managed to get me back in order and it is chuntering along, taking ages.

Meantime if anyone knows how to get me into Chrome.... or how to bin Norton which I DO NOT WANT!! I can't seem to find 'programmes' in the start menu.

I am obviously far to old to be trusted with this stuff
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

PP. take a deep breath, and download Classic Shell. You can alter the registry settings to get rid of the metro interface but i'll have to find the instructions on how to do it when I get home. I think (but I am on Windows Xp here), if you go to the top left corner of your screen with you mouse, it should show open apps. If Chrome is open it will be there.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

once I'm back on my laptop I'll be able to help with the rest
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Thank you Helen. No rush as it is still chuntering away doing the recovery discs. It rejected three of them so good job I had bought plenty. On last one now and fingers crossed it won't fall at the verify stage.

Son tells me Chrome download is easy so looking forward to doing that and the Classic Shell. Does the Classic mean I lose the pretty desktop icons?