Guests with late departures

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
CostaBlanca

Guests with late departures

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi,

In the early stage of any enquiry, I always confirm that the villa will be available from 3pm (arrival day) to 10am (departure). One set of guests have just sent me their flight timings and they are not due to fly home till late at night.

So, would you advise them again of T&Cs regarding departure time from the villa, in the event that they have forgotten?
If the villa is unoccupied immediately after these guests, do you let me them stay on and have the villa cleaned on Sunday morning? :(

Where possible in the past, I have allowed guests to stay on longer on departure day especially if there are young children. This usually causes more inconvenience and I am wondering what other villa owners do. If you have management agent or employ cleaning staff, I guess that they start the changeover clean at the designated time.

Saludos,
A-two

Re: Guests with late departures

Post by A-two »

Maria wrote: So, would you advise them again of T&Cs regarding departure time from the villa, in the event that they have forgotten?

If the villa is unoccupied immediately after these guests, do you let me them stay on and have the villa cleaned on Sunday morning? :(
We always offer late check out or early check in where possible. My cleaners don't like doing Sundays, (Church), but are amenable to being pushed back a few hours on the Saturday if I don't have a same day check in, arriving at around 2pm instead of 11am. I can then offer a late check out up to 1.30pm instead of 10.30am. The extra 3 hours are much appreciated and fits well with an international evening flight as they have 1-1/2hr drive to JFK airport and need to be there 2 hours before flight departure. I would definitely discuss this with them now to avoid possible misunderstandings on the day.

P.S. Actually, I do all this upfront, at the time I write the contract and add it under "additional terms and conditions" - "possible late check out up to 1pm" or whatever. I think it shows care for the guests, that we are not just kicking them out as soon as the contract is over, only for the place to stand empty. Equally, if I can't do it (and there are many times I can't), I apologise and explain why I can't offer a late check out, asking if they are going to be alright. Inevitably, they say they will be fine, but appreciate the concern.

Finally, if they want to stay beyond 3pm, which is normal check in time for next guests, then even though I might not have another booking, I would count that as another night and charge for it.
Last edited by A-two on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

My cleaner comes at 10 am no matter what and it takes her most of the time up until the new people come at 4pm so we can't have a late checkout. In the winter this is totally different of course as she can come another day sometimes ( altho this is getting more of a problem as she is so much in demand!).

www.thepetitmanoir.com
debk

Post by debk »

If no one is checking in the same day (nor early the next morning) that guests leave, we let them stay until they need to leave for their flight. Cleaners can come the next day and it makes life so much nicer for the guests.

However, everyone knows this is on an "as available" basis. If we have back-to-back bookings, then the exiting guests may leave their luggage until an hour before the next guest's official check-in time. Sometimes we've got a lot of luggage sitting in the entry... from those who are leaving late and those who arrived early and dropped luggage before official check-in. Part of the fun!

Seriously though, this type of simple courtesy is greatly appreciated by our guests... as is the ability for them to check-in as early as they wish, as long as no one has booked the night before they arrive.
debk
ps-we don't have set turn-over days
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

We are just as flexible as Deb. If we don't have guests checking in the same day, then departing guests can check out late...same goes for guests checking in..if we don't have a change over on the same day then guests can check-in as soon as they arrive.

Back to back bookings are different and we have to keep to the strict check-in and check-out times so that we can have the time to clean and prepare the villa for the new guests.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We offer this by prior arrangement only, and then only if it is suitable for our apartment manager. We actually had a set of confused guests turn up a day early in February!! They found themselves somewhere else to stay though, and then stayed the extra night anyway.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

We had guests begging to stay an extra night as the Four Tops at the end-of-the-pier show were on the day they were leaving. We are off-peak and there wasn't anybody in the next week, so Jane told them to leave £20 on the table when they left - hopefully, should earn us goodwill and publicity with their friends and relations.

John