Independent Cottages or Owners Direct?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
kg1

Independent Cottages or Owners Direct?

Post by kg1 »

I am posting here as I need a specific UK response please. I need a new listing site, sick of HL, HA won't have me as I won't give them copies of my tiltle deeds :roll: , Love to Escape expensive for no. of bookings. So am considering Independent Cottages or Owners Direct. We are a 3 bed house, New Forest/Lymington area. Does anyone have any pros or cons for either site please? Thanks.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I'm with both OD and IC. We get a better quality of enquiry from IC - ie a much higher conversion rate, and on that basis they've outperformed OD this year, and last year as well. My gut feeling is that as part of HA, OD will get worse and deliver less for more outlay.

Being a small setup, IC are very responsive and give good personal service. They also have a last minute offers section which is free for unlimited (AFAIK) use. I'm very likely to dump OD, unlikely to dump IC.

As ever, experiences will vary wildly for reasons that nobody has yet fathomed....... Many people seem to still get good results from OD.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

No experience of OD, but can whole heartedly endorse GB's experience with IC. Small site, excellent service and they have bought me in a good number of bookings. No faceless corporation here.....!
Annew

Post by Annew »

I've been able to compare both - IC great quality of enquiries and a high conversion rate and most of my repeat guests originated from an IC enquiry. OD, quite a lot of enquiries from potential guests, but low low conversion and enquiries are often for dates that are unavailable.

Also, with IC, you can link to your own website and place late availability offers free of charge.

No contest I would say..... IC over OD
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Well been with IC 6 months and only 2 bookings. OD same, 2 bookings over a longer period. What about Cottage Guide?
Our top 3 for 2012.

HL 106
Repeat 47
Website 12
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Thanks. IC does seem to come up on Google with most of the searches I test and I guess it's correct that OD as part of HA will inevitably change. I haven't heard of Cottage Guide so will check that out tomorrow. Thanks for the posts. Think it will be IC in the end.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Would like to add my recommendation for IC and fully endorse what everyone else has already said. We don't get a huge amount of enquiries or bookings from them but had 5 this year compared to only 1 from OD.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Thank you. I have signed up with IC and am waiting for them to build the advert. Also considering My Favourite Holiday Cottage.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Would be interested to see how you get on with IC. OD performs well for us at the moment, but like many other people I'm looking for an alternative to HL and have been looking at IC. Good luck and hope it generates some good enquiries for you!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Ok will keep you posted. They were closed 'till New Year so hopefully my advert will be up and running soon.
waterwitch

Post by waterwitch »

I'm frustrated with Independent Cottages - I was with them from the beginning and got around 30% of my bookings through them. It's particularly good for last minutes deals and I do like to site.

The last couple of year's performance has been really disappointing and slid to almost non-existant!

12 months Jan to Jan for 59 bookings Conwy cottage:

HR - 52%
OD 19% (only started with them in Sept!)
Repeat - 17%
HL 6% (3 month free trial)
IND Cottages 2%
Stay in Wales 5% (now dropped)

OD has been outstanding in the 4 months since we started with them - I just wish IND Cottages could do better for us.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

OD has been outstanding in the 4 months since we started with them
but not for us in the same town how do you work that out?

with you on IC only 2 bookings since June 12 paid for the ad but will not renew unless things improve.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Cleveland House wrote:Would be interested to see how you get on with IC. OD performs well for us at the moment, but like many other people I'm looking for an alternative to HL and have been looking at IC. Good luck and hope it generates some good enquiries for you!
Ad up and running 2 days after New Year so pretty prompt. Awaiting the flood of bookings!!!!!!! :lol:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

kyreniagirl wrote:
Ad up and running 2 days after New Year so pretty prompt. Awaiting the flood of bookings!!!!!!! :lol:
Maybe a trickle rather than a flood.... :wink:

I would never expect a small site to match what the big boys can do (although many sites can do better I expect), based on their advertising spend etc. What I do get is good quality enquiries, enough bookings so far to justify staying with them and none of the issues you have with dealing with the faceless big boys. :lol:

12% of last years enquiries came via them directly, as well as an unknown number who clicked through to my website and enquired directly.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

12% would do me nicely, would justify the outlay. Here's hoping.