Cumbrian Cottages swallowed up by Hoseasons

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

And thirdly they risk losing out on their commission because the guest might book direct instead.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Lindisfarne

Post by Lindisfarne »

kendalcottages wrote:And thirdly they risk losing out on their commission because the guest might book direct instead.
Oops forgot that one KC :P
People in Stone Houses should not throw Glass

janepalliser

Post by janepalliser »

I run a small charity which invites holiday home owners to donate a week to families who have children, generally, who are terminally ill. It is virtually impossible to do good with your holiday home by offering it to a single hospice because they worry about accountability. Homes with Heart is unique in that I let owners 'bank' a week with me and healthcare professionals across the UK can 'withdraw'.

Over the last couple of years I have written to large and small holiday companies to ask if they'll simply write a paragraph in whatever newsletter they send to their owners introducing me. It doesn't cost them anything in time or money.

Only local holiday companies have done so. They have the freedom to make their own decisions and know their owners well enough to know they won't mind this approach. Trying to get through to the larger organisations is impossible. They could make the most difference but, frankly, suggest something unusual to them that doesn't fit in a box and they don't know what to do with it .... so do nothing.

Small companies definitely have more heart.
To work hard now and look forward to white wine in the sun with good friends
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Definitely Jane! I'm looking forward to my first family from you staying this coming Monday. I will update the thread below, once it's all happened!

Jane runs Homes with Heart and here's a thread relating to it.
viewtopic.php?t=12572
Windy

Post by Windy »

We have had two families staying from Jane's charity since we registered.

It is hard to talk about it without seeming to try to big yourself up, but I really would say that we have gained a lot out of it ourselves. I often look at the card which I have on my bookshelf from our last guests from HWH and it's worth far more than the rental for that week. Honestly it really is.

(Jane we are still here! x)

{but please change your profile link to http://www.homeswithheart.co.uk/ :-) }
janepalliser

Post by janepalliser »

Profile changed!

I've been accepted into a business mentorship programme and I meet my four mentors today. They consider a small charity to be one with a turnover of less than £3m so I am ant-like compared to that. I interviewed in December and they thought the concept of Homes with Heart is worth pursuing so they have waived their usual criteria to let me in. I will start a new forum and let you know their suggestions. Between their corporate minds and owner's experience, HWH will blossom. :D
To work hard now and look forward to white wine in the sun with good friends
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well done Jane, you must be very pleased. I'm sure it will help you and the charity enormously.

I would ask Paolo to move all these posts into a new thread, as none of this is really relevant to the original thread. It would be a shame if it remained hidden from people searching, so I would probably name the thread Homes With Heart - donating to charity, so it comes up in a general search here.
Windy

Post by Windy »

That's good to hear Jane. Good luck!