Request for postcode and address at enquiry stage

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Request for postcode and address at enquiry stage

Post by Sam V »

I have sent a quote out a few days ago and the enquirer has come back to me asking for the address and postcode of our property so that she can see where it is located in relation to friends staying in another town. This has happened to me a few times over the years but always makes me feel a little uncomfortable to give out the exact location before it is a confirmed booking. There is a location map on the listing site and on our website ( which i guess contradicts my previus statemen!) so I'm not sure why she can't look there anyway. I don't think it'll convert any way, anyone just looking at google maps can see Gale, Albufeira is not close to Lagos!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I have had the same problem. I give them the first part of the post code which pinpoints the area but will not give the address until I have a booking form and a deposit. Your availability calendar would be a burglar's delight! I have only lost one booking over this.
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Thanks Kyreniagirl, that makes me feel better and less 'silly' about this. I'll just send her the link to the map o my site, come to think of it, my standard email refers them to my website for this info anyway! ...if people want to research where they are going why not read the info supplied!

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

Normandie

Re: Request for postcode and address at enquiry stage

Post by Normandie »

Sam V wrote:...the enquirer has come back to me asking for the address and postcode of our property so that she can see where it is located in relation to friends staying in another town.
<snip>
I don't think it'll convert any way, anyone just looking at google maps can see Gale, Albufeira is not close to Lagos!
She may be trying to ensure they won't have to visit their friends... :twisted:
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Anyone can find out the exact address of a self-catering property in the UK if it pays business rates (which most businesses will do). Look at the business rating lists on-line, then search in google for the name of the property and they'll find your website (hopefully).
If you are worried about security, then I suppose you could install a burglar alarm (we do).
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

newtimber wrote:Anyone can find out the exact address of a self-catering property in the UK if it pays business rates (which most businesses will do). Look at the business rating lists on-line, then search in google for the name of the property and they'll find your website (hopefully).
If you are worried about security, then I suppose you could install a burglar alarm (we do).

Our villa is in Portugal and it also has an alarm

Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I've found this request is becoming more common. It's usually for them to look on Google maps, where, interestingly, they have the wrong name on our lane.

I usually give them the link to the map. I never give out the address until they book, and even then I never give the house number. No one queries that.

On this island we have a big problem with gangs coming over in the summer and continually robbing villas; usually the remote ones. Often the same villa several times.
One of our strengths is that we're in a village and on a lane; we have countryside to the back and front but no isolation. However I've yet to find a way to 'sell' that without scaring people about villa robberies.
Last year we had one guest who stayed in a villa and was robbed the first night. They were a group of girls and terrified for the rest of their holiday. She said they found out it was the 3rd time that summer the villa had been done; naturally the owner said nothing.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Post by arkvilla »

We often have to give out our address so that people can fill in their ESTA and API information but it tends to be UK guests.

Sandra
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Mouse wrote: I usually give them the link to the map. I never give out the address until they book, and even then I never give the house number. No one queries that.

I've done exactly that. No response yet though.

Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I have a standard reply which is "we don't give out the address before booking for security reasons and also to protect the privacy of guests currently staying there". Most people seem happy with that. I explain how close the nearest amenities are and sometimes I give them the postcode which on Google maps takes them just around the corner. If they go into street view and are persistent they could find the house eventually from the web site photos.

I also try to make sure that my calendar always shows the current week as unavailable so potential burglars won't know if it's empty or not. Thinking about what other owners have said, I'm now wondering if burglars would be more interested to know when it is let and potentially had money & passports in it - maybe it would be better if I made the current week show up as available!
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth