Would you give a discount?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

Unibond3 wrote:Hi,

I'd like to ask if owners get repeat visits because they have a pro-active policy of mailing (or e-mailing) previous bookers on their database to persuade them to return, (and whether it is appropriate to include an incentive in the mailshot), or whether they have a reactive approach because repeat bookings just happen!
I sent Xmas cards to all 2012 guests and got a repeat booking from one of them. Included my business card in each to remind them of our website
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

Note that our area is very strongly seasonal. We ourselves are only open from May through October each year. While some people who visit our area are making their plans for the next summer as early as September or October, most are not actively looking until after the new year.

We have an opt-in mailing list that we use to send out an annual newsletter in November, with a few other updates sent over the winter and into the summer. Each year, just before sending out the annual newsletter, we send invitations to all of our past year's guests who are not yet subscribed to the mailing list to subscribe if they want.

Last year we sent postcards in the spring to all guests who had stayed at Harborfields in the past two years that we had not yet heard from, thanking them for staying with us and inviting them to consider staying with us again in the future. We have not yet decided whether we will try that again this year.

The incentives that we offer returning guests are as follows:

(1) they are guaranteed first dibs on their cottage for their week for the following year, up until January 1. In other words we hold off on accepting reservations from new guests until we've heard from the past year's guests, at least until January 1. This is a long-standing tradition that we have here at Harborfields, and it is not uncommon at some other similar places (to give preference to current guests over new ones). We do keep a waiting list if we get inquiries from new guests before January 1, and contact these people as soon as we know what is and isn't available (i.e. on New Year's day!)

(2) If the returning guests get their reservations in early enough (i.e. before the end of November), we offer them the past summer's rate. In other words, any rate increases are delayed a year for them.

Other than this, we do not offer any special discount for returning guests. We still have a decent proportion of returning guests, many who have been coming every year for decades. We also get guests who come back after a few years (or more) hiatus, as well. Just yesterday we entertained an inquiry from a guest who had last stayed here 10 years ago -- the second such inquiry this season!
aasta

Post by aasta »

We just received a reservation from returning guests and have given them last seasons prices and are not charging extra now that their children are over 7 and therfore not free anymore. We normally charge €10.- per night for children 6 to 12 years old.
A favorite guest who is coming back for the 4th time is always invited to dinner and we give a complimentary guided tour, since she also travels without a car.
aasta
shamac

Post by shamac »

Yes 10% here as well, my repeat bookings are about 25%. Like the idea of offering a referral reward will try that :D
The harder you work, the luckier you get.