Creating a Facebook page for your business Part 2 2013

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
Nemo

Creating a Facebook page for your business Part 2 2013

Post by Nemo »

Ok here it is folks, the new thread. Please post here to continue all Facebook page discussion!

Part 1 is here: viewtopic.php?t=16494

One thing to learn along the way, is that Facebook changes things, so nothing is set in stone forever!

The starting point is whether to register as a local business or as a company? I started as a local business, but converted my page to a company in Travel/Leisure as that appears to give you a little more functionality.

The help pages on Facebook are quite good, so if you have a problem, start there. If you can't find the answer, then post here!

Think carefully as to what you call your page. Once it is established and gained likes, you won't want to change it. Facebook starts by giving you a long url; you can "claim" your name after a few likes (used to be 25 - but try any time just in case).

For more likes, visit the page "Hike Those Likes" on FB, where you can share your page and gain loads of likes very quickly.

That is it in a very small nutshell. Let the discussion recommence. :)
Last edited by Nemo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
elena

Post by elena »

Thanks Nemo!
Just been reading these last few posts with great interest & wondering how much more time I'm going to be spending on social media before I see a return!!!

Am I right in thinking that the quickest ( only?) way to join in with the Hike Those Likes is

Go to the Hike Those Likes page

Go to their recent posts by other section & like those pages from my personal page

Go back to my own business page and leave them a message on their wall

Hope they will all return the likes!

Seems like an awful lot of to-ing & fro-ing...maybe
it's easier to do "bulk" batches....

Elena
Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
keep in touch with Les Crouquets on Facebook
follow us on pinterest
Harborfields

Re: Creating a Facebook page for your business Part 2 2013

Post by Harborfields »

Nemo wrote:The starting point is whether to register as a local business or as a company? I started as a local business, but converted my page to a company in Travel/Leisure as that appears to give you a little more functionality.
We started our page as a Local Business, too. Yes, we all think of ourselves as small businesses that are just a small part of our local community. But think about it -- where does our clientele come from? Are they local people (from the surrounding community) who come to stay with us? No! Our clientele are people coming from outside the local community, from far away, even internationally! So the Travel / Leisure category really is much more fitting.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

No the quickest way, is to like from your profile (as that increases their likes) but post on their wall with a short message. In the message put @ followed by your Facebook page name, with no space between. As you type, FB will offer you options, so click on the option when it pulls up your page. That is then a live link to your FB page within the comment.

You only need to like from your business page if you actually want that page to appear in your newsfeed.

I'll post and like on your page now to show you how it appears.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Nemo wrote:No the quickest way, is to like from your profile (as that increases their likes) but post on their wall with a short message. In the message put @ followed by your Facebook page name, with no space between. As you type, FB will offer you options, so click on the option when it pulls up your page. That is then a live link to your FB page within the comment.

You only need to like from your business page if you actually want that page to appear in your newsfeed.

I'll post and like on your page now to show you how it appears.
Thanks for that info Nemo. It seems very clear. I'll have a go later. I'd given up with HTL because I couldn't figure out how to do the tagging. (I just ended up with @ in my messages :oops: )
elena

Post by elena »

Thanks Debbie!

I know that to increase the number of likes you have to like from your personal page but I've always tried to post by using my business page partly because I don't particularly want my personal profile out there but mainly because I was thinking that posting with the business avatar was more pertinent!

True though I have liked everyone from both my personal page ( to increase their numbers) and also from my business page and my news feed is horribly clogged particularly from businesses which post every 20 seconds!!

I suppose I didn't really understand the workings at the beginning - will have to change!
Thanks again!
Elena

Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
keep in touch with Les Crouquets on Facebook
follow us on pinterest
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Dotty wrote:I'd given up with HTL because I couldn't figure out how to do the tagging. (I just ended up with @ in my messages :oops: )
The @ doesn't work when posting from an iphone and possibly an ipad too (I don't have one to check), but does work when posting from your computer.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

elena wrote:I know that to increase the number of likes you have to like from your personal page but I've always tried to post by using my business page partly because I don't particularly want my personal profile out there but mainly because I was thinking that posting with the business avatar was more pertinent!
That had always been my stance until getting involved with HTL. If I want likes, it seems appropriate that I have to be willing to do the same back from my personal profile. You can always do as I have done and post a second message from your business page on some pages if you think it relevant, but I think you'll get a perfectly good response by liking from your profile. It brings the human side to it; after all we are small businesses and this type of networking reflects that.

My likes are up by 80 or so in the last 48 hours, so it's hard work but it works!
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Nemo wrote:My likes are up by 80 or so in the last 48 hours, so it's hard work but it works!
Very well done!!! :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

Some more thoughts about FB business pages:

They are not intended to be static pages that you build once and then you are done (like a typical website). You can certainly do that, but that's not the point behind FB. They are intended to be dynamic places where you interact with people (the people who have "liked" your page, your "fans"). The idea is that you post things (photos, links, "status updates") to the page on a regular basis to try to engage your fans -- you not only want people to "like" your page, you want them to "like" your posts and (even better) to comment on your posts (best of all would be for people to "share" your posts). This is what social networking is all about.

People might visit your actual page -- and look at your timeline, photo albums, etc... -- only once. Its your posts showing up in their news feeds (on an on-going basis) that is where the action is.

FB uses an algorithm they call "edge rank" to determine how many of your fans will see your posts in their news feeds (typically only a small proportion do). The more that people "like" your posts, the more that they "comment" on your posts, and the more that they "share" your posts, the higher your edge rank, and thus even more people will get to see your post in the first place.

Also, the more people engage with your posts, the more people who are not your fans will see your posts. Your fans' friends may see (either in their news feed or their ticker) that their friends (your fans) have liked, or commented on, your post. They might then take a look at it themselves, and if they like it or comment on it also, then their friends might see that, and so on. This is what it means to "go viral"

Obviously the ultimate goal is to create bookings, but that cannot be your immediate goal with FB. In fact, direct "sell" posts tend to backfire, turning off your community instead of engaging them. Rather you need to be thinking about building "brand awareness." It is a long-term marketing investment.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Harborfields wrote:FB uses an algorithm they call "edge rank" to determine how many of your fans will see your posts in their news feeds (typically only a small proportion do). The more that people "like" your posts, the more that they "comment" on your posts, and the more that they "share" your posts, the higher your edge rank, and thus even more people will get to see your post in the first place.

Also, the more people engage with your posts, the more people who are not your fans will see your posts. Your fans' friends may see (either in their news feed or their ticker) that their friends (your fans) have liked, or commented on, your post. They might then take a look at it themselves, and if they like it or comment on it also, then their friends might see that, and so on. This is what it means to "go viral"
Thanks Harborfields, that's the clearest explanation I've seen about going viral. I'm picking up likes on my posts, but comments are as rare as hen's teeth and shares the same. I don't expect too many shares, but I would love comments. Otherwise it feels as if you are talking to yourself!
Windy

Post by Windy »

I'm not sure how getting "likes" without interaction is any real benefit Nemo.

If someone likes my page just because I liked theirs it doesn't really win me anything.

If someone likes my page because they like what I post then I have extended my network in a meaningful way, and if they interact with me or share my content then I have established a valuable relationship.

BTW if anyone wants to enter our free Facebook competition for a weekend break in March it's here

https://apps.facebook.com/easypromos/promotions/68010
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

It helps to have a good look on the Hike Those Likes page Windy. I felt the same as you and was pessimistic at first, but they do give good explanations on how it all works and how the more likes you have the more people see your page via the likers own news feed.

Elena, likewise, keep an eye on the HTL page - they have regular ''hike nights'' [there was one last night] and regular mini hikes too. If you are a regular poster [ie push your product every day, tag yourself, like others,etc etc] then you might find yourself on a mini hike or hike night when the HTL page promotes your 'product'

It isn't a quick result and it took me a while before I got our first FB booking but we are now getting plenty of bookings through FB. The key is - make regular posts on your page [you can schedule these to appear at interval, you don't have to be at the computer for them to appear] , post some of your good photos, guests comments, links to your website, like and share other local businesses, late availability, special offers etc etc.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Windy wrote:I'm not sure how getting "likes" without interaction is any real benefit Nemo.
Indeed, but there has been interaction. Lots of people posted on my page as well as liked. Some express an interest, love the area, haven't thought about the area etc etc. Some are local businesses that may complement mine in the future, or possibly give me relevant news. All the likes are from fellow small business owners - and they need holidays the same as everyone else!

I like networking and it's difficult to do when you work alone - this is an excellent way to do it for me. :)
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I'm rather more with Windy on this one and I'm uncomfortable with all the Hike the Like stuff, which seems to me to be a bit too cold, clinical and marketing-oriented.

My interest on Facebook is in relationship building, not in selling, and to be perfectly honest I'm turned right off by the posts that appear on my timeline that just seem to be 'selling' something, whether it's accommodation or anything else. I enjoy posts that give me something to think about, show me a beautiful picture, tell me about something that's going on, introduce me to a recipe or some local produce or ... well, you get the idea. All of those things I can respond to, but when someone just says 'hey! Book our house, it's wonderful!', there's no obvious response.

I'd much sooner have people 'like' my page slowly and organically because I sound like someone they can relate to than go out harvesting. I'm not a 'product pusher'; never have been and never will be. And I still get all the bookings I want.

Just my 2 centimes worth.