Kitting out kitchen, but no room for everything!

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
LeanneA

Post by LeanneA »

Thanks for latest replies.

If we make the breakfast bar deep enough to take a fridge, we will lose nearly a foot of the living area! Also, the worktop we currently have is in great condition, but old, so I doubt we'd get a match so would need to re-top the whole kitchen to make it look right.

I'll get my head around it somehow.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Agree that your clients could use launderette for washing and drying clothes as it is so handy.
IMO if you can supply a small oven (for 2 this is fine) and hob and a fridge of reasonable size that would do fine. I would not have any use for microwave and combination of this and a cooker have proved to be a nightmare in my experience. :roll:
Fleur
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I use a halogen oven but for people not familiar with them it would not be feasible as you do need to understand how they work and timings etc. I also use a combination microwave/oven and it's brill.

In out new let the kitchen was very small but we managed to fit everything necessary in. We built in the microwave in a wall cupboard and felt a full size fridge was essential. We had the facility to put a large shed/utility outside so that houses the washing machine and tumble dryer but you don't need this. We put a full oven and 4 ring hob in too despite the small size. Mind you I love planning kitchens. Apart from our own I've done plans for friends and neighbours and other family members.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've done a few myself too. Eyeing up my own kitchen at home after my success wih the apartment and our utility room, which is larger than many people's kitchens, and houses combination microwave ( the Panasonic one is brilliant) , breadmaking and our double door fridge.
jlaceysmith

Post by jlaceysmith »

when I was renovating the little kitchen area in our baby gite last year, I got lots of good ideas from looking at Paris (famous for tiny kitchens) apartment rental websites - there are lots of photographs showing tiny spaces, used really imaginatively. A favourite seemed to be a 2 ring induction hob set into the work surface above an under-counter fridge, so hob and fridge in one space and it looked really good. Perhaps that could work for you?
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

jlaceysmith wrote:when I was renovating the little kitchen area in our baby gite last year, I got lots of good ideas from looking at Paris (famous for tiny kitchens) apartment rental websites - there are lots of photographs showing tiny spaces, used really imaginatively. A favourite seemed to be a 2 ring induction hob set into the work surface above an under-counter fridge, so hob and fridge in one space and it looked really good. Perhaps that could work for you?
In France you can buy "kitchenette units" like you describe above in all the DIY stores.
Here is a link:
http://www.castorama.fr/store/Kitchenet ... navCount=0

It's a pretty good use of space at a good price!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

A favourite seemed to be a 2 ring induction hob set into the work surface above an under-counter fridge, so hob and fridge in one space and it looked really good. Perhaps that could work for you?
Yes that was what we had in the tiny kitchen in the Venice apartment we rented.
They also had an oven set above the sink.
Unfortunately they don't have aphoto of it on their website. It is tiny though...and was a bit of a shock. Whilst we coped without a microwave it was the counter space that most niggled. At breakfast we have a toaster out, 2 plates, cups and kettle...yet there just wasn't enough workspace. They could have planned better or even had a small butcher block trolley to help.
Oh - also there was very limited cupboard space so they put all crockery, utensils, toaster, glasses etc in a cupboard in the dining area. That was also a pain.
Oh...and only 1 plug! That was very tricky as we couldn't use the toaster at the same time as the kettle. So plenty of plugs are needed.
Mind you, if the food in the restaurants in Venice hadn't been so lousy we wouldn't have spent so many nights eating in.

Mousie
x
edit: just checked and they have photos now: http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/photod ... _id=174863
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've been in worse kitchens Mousey, a couple of older French ski apartments were appalling and inside what can best be described as a wardrobe.
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

I would second the need for multiple electric outlets. My daughter's flat in Chicago has only one outlet and the fridge is plugged into it and blocking the access - I had to boil my kettle in the living room to make a cuppa - I guess the idea is to use a kettle on the cooktop - but that just seems wrong to me! No bench (counter) space either - can't really call it a kitchen in my book!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Mozzie,they built my apartment without any bench space. I have sink, then hob (with dishwasher underneath), then tall unit with fridge/freezer. A butcher's trolley was necessary.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Not sure who your market will be (I'm American) but when I rent an apt in Europe I look for a washing machine as I only bring a carry on bag so have to wash clothes... if the place is for 2 an undercounter fridge works just fine, no need for a full sized one in my opinion, we've had a couple of those and they were great. I don't personally need an oven on vacation... a microwave is handy but not mandatory... but love an electric kettle and hot water in the kitchen (rented one without hot water...)

Counter space is needed as we like to buy breakfast/lunch stuff and make a lunch to take with us and eat breakfast in. Occasionally like to make an easy dinner in but often will eat dinner out. So for only 2 people a 2 burner would be sufficient I would think.

My 2 cents, best wishes with all the conflicting advice!
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)