Review My Website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
mandyjm

Review My Website

Post by mandyjm »

I've just finished creating a brand new website (well I've been helping the IT expert to develop it for me) and I would really appreciate your comments. I've a few obvious things to adjust, eg change an icon on the booking page, but what is your first impresson :?:

I'm also on facebook as miner'scottage.coniston, to help with bookings and to try and increase google searches. Any ideas :idea: or suggestions to improve the SEO other than facebook would be helpful. Eg has anyone used adwords?

Thanks in advance of your support.

www.theconistoncottage.co.uk
delilah

Post by delilah »

Hello, I think that's one of the best/"cleanest" websites i have seen. I like the logo, the white background, the easily digestible chunks of text. My only thoughts are that i was automatically looking for a gallery, and expecting a range of pictures to open up when i clicked on the different photos. Also, you may need to put something about smoking and pets. But, I really do like the design of this one....very restful to look at. Sometimes your eyes are just hit with too much text and boxes etc etc. Good IT person you have there!
whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't....you're right
www.anchoragemewsmersea.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/AnchorageMewsHo ... age?ref=hl
delilah

Post by delilah »

ps sent you a like too on FB x
whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't....you're right
www.anchoragemewsmersea.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/AnchorageMewsHo ... age?ref=hl
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have already liked you on FB via Hike those Holidays! I too was looking for a gallery, but at a quick glance it looks great. I like the idea of a calendar for events.

I personally prefer a full rate card and availability displayed on your website than being sent off elsewhere. It promotes your own site better in the long run and will also make you less dependent on the agency if you ever decide to go it alone. once you've been sent off site then your guests may look at other properties - you want to keep them on yours!

Very nice site though.
mandyjm

Post by mandyjm »

Thanks VERY much Delilah and Nemo.

It's always a boost to get good feedback when you've worked so hard on something. I've got the gallery arranged in the editors version, but now need my expert to help me post it on the website!

I know what you mean about going off site for availability. I'm going to re-think this one to make sure we don't lose any potential guests.

For anyone needing some help, my website designer can be found at http://www.jbird608.com

I'll go straight on to facebook to like you back.

Best wishes xx :D
tavi

Post by tavi »

I've also liked you from my FB profiles (personal & business).

Site is charming and simple - though I clicked a few times on "Fabulous Finish" before I realised it wouldn't take me to the interior of the cottage!

A gallery would be a great idea.
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

Yes looks very clean and professional. The only things I would criticise is the choice of words for the menu and the way you have set out the availability/tariff etc.

When I see 'Accommodation' it makes me think of multiple properties. I would say 'the cottage' or 'miners cottage' instead. I find the whole availability tariff thing confusing. I look for an availability calendar but instead I find an events calendar. I would move this to the 'Local info' page, get a proper availability calendar on site and display the tariff next to it. Remember people may be looking at lots of properties and this is a reasonably standard format for a reason.

In the maps/directions page I would not use the phrase 'Text Instructions', it is unnecessary and makes me think of SMS. And I would personally call it 'Find us' in the menu. I would also integrate the 'contact us' and 'who we are' menu items and just call it 'contact us'.

IMO, this would make a much more streamlined menu bar. I would swap 'Booking' (availability is always here so you don't need to say it) and 'local info', so that the flow of the site is, welcome, gallery, booking...other stuff. I think this directs people towards the purchase rather than leading them off into local information. I would definitely have a gallery, people like pictures and this is the one thing your website can do better than listing sites.

It sounds like I am picking a lot of holes but really I am only giving my own personal preferences with reasons. Other opinions will obviously vary and if you change nothing it will still be an excellent site.
mandyjm

Post by mandyjm »

Thanks

I don't mind picky at all, I've invested a lot of time into this and I'm keen to get it right.

I pleased to say that the calendar idea was my other half's, and you've all given me enough feedback to make the change as soon as I get a bit more time :)

Watch this space!

Kindest regards
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I agree that your site looks good although, as others stated, I did look for a gallery type option (like you have on the Sykes's page), it's always nice to see all the photos grouped together.

Given that I do not know your area at all, I would like to see more detailed info on your home page about where you are (i.e. Lake district). I found this info on your "local info" page but would have preferred to see it straight away on the home page. At one point there is a link to your Sykes' page. Is this your sole booking agent? If not why link to their site where guests will book with them and not with you directly?
casagentili

Post by casagentili »

I haven't read the previous reviews, so I may repeat some concepts...

The site is very clean and easy readable

The pictures on the bottom of the entry page a clicable but nothing happen, better remove the clic in case there is nothing behind to avoid expectations not met

The top menu and the vertical one doesn't show the same sequence (e.g. "local info") ... the same order would give more concistency to the reader

I'd give more evidence to the facebook icon it's good to let the people know they can find other infomations over there

the email address in the "booking & availability" page is readable from spiders so it's ready for spam it would benefit to be hidden under e-mail text

hope this help :)
Marco
passionate with historical gardens
casagentili.com
mandyjm

Post by mandyjm »

I want to say a big "THANK YOU" to everyone for finding the time to comment on my website. I've made most of the changes and will tackle others over time, but with your help, it's so much better than when I started. :D
elena

Post by elena »

Running short of time this morning so just first impressions for the time being!

Lovely clean and simply laid out site - very easy to read.

Love the big photo on the home page but miss it on the other pages which seem to have a lot of empty white space at the top and makes it feel a bit unfinished.

If you could introduce a similar photo to the other pages I feel it would add a lot to your site.

A wonderful website nonetheless - congratulations!

Elena
Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
keep in touch with Les Crouquets on Facebook
follow us on pinterest
pizza-salsa

Post by pizza-salsa »

very nice website, easy to navigate.
If I click on the pictures at the bottom (front page), I am not taken to a separate section, but just given a larger picture, maybe remove the ability to click on them?

About Us page, second paragraph
We bought this lovely Cottage because of its superb position and it’s stunning views.
should read "its stunning views"

lovely place you've got there, website is very nice.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Excellent website. Clean, simple and elegant.

Only 3 minor comments:

1. Under the photo gallery is a reply section. What is that for? It also allows html tags. Be careful about security there.

2. The contact form is very long and almost like a booking form. Is it all required and which parts are optional?

3. Where does it tell you the size. ie. how many beds and for how many people? I was trying to scan quickly for that but couldn't find it. No doubt it's there somewhere.

Other than that well done.
twinhope

Post by twinhope »

Hi

I really like your site. Easy on the eyes and nice clear pictures. Only thing I might change would be the Price page as it comes up as very light grey and difficult to see. Can it be made as dark as the rate table? When you click on the rate table, that page comes up much darker. Looks like a nice relaxing place. Good Luck

Sharon