Doesn't want to pay security deposit unitil date of arrival

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Doesn't want to pay security deposit unitil date of arrival

Post by Sam V »

Had an enquiry yesterday for dates commencing 22 March. It's only 4 nights, full occupancy but also slightly discounted as its a late booking (less than 8 weeks departure) so full payment including the security deposit is required now.

I received they reply this morning.

"Thank you for responding so quickly. My group is really interested in booking your villa as it is the best we have come across with everything we want. We can pay the total rental price (with additional pool heating supplement) as soon as possible. I will be able to gather all contributions from each of them by the beginning of next week and make payment.
However, because this holiday was planned on such short notice, is it possible to push the payment of security deposit to the date of arrival? This is because it will be easier that way."

I have to post them a gate key a before departure, which I don't do until all payments are made and I don't pay beck the security deposit until a couple of days after departure to allow notice from my manager in case of damages, etc.

I often wonder if people don't have the money to make the payments when required, how are they affording to go on holiday?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Because the security deposit is an extra on top of the holiday cost, that they expect to get back.

The guests won't see it from your perspective Sam, it just seems like they're giving you a load of extra cash.

On the occasions I take a deposit, I leave it as near to the date as possible, ask for a bank transfer and email final details immediately upon receipt. Can you not find a compromise that's nearer the time but explain why it can't be on the day?
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Looking at this from the point of view of a guest, a security deposit is something which covers damage AFTER they arrive.

They have already paid for their stay I gather so the key is a given.

Again, as a guest, I would not expect to pay for my possible damage before I had a chance to do damage! I know that a lot of you ask for the security deposit weeks in advance so I can expect that there will be disagreement on that one.

I have just come back from renting an apartment in France and I was just asked for my credit card on arrival as security against damage (I had booked through Expedia so they didn't have details) and we are are planning another rental in Austria and we will pay the security deposit when we arrive (which is what they have asked for, not before).

It is slightly different of course if you are not there to see them in, in which case I would ask for it to be transferred just before the date of arrival. If they have already paid for their holiday then you shouldn't really worry about whether they can afford it or not as long as they pay you the security at or just before arrival!
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

For all bookings, I always ask for the security deposit with the final balance payment, purely to reduce the admin of three separate payments to chase.

I don't have the facility to take a credit card against payment, and I'm not on site.

I have always taken a security deposit, and on a few occasions I've had to make deductions, and they've usually been by guests who either queried paying a reduced security deposit, or I had had to chase them for their payments. I think that as well as covering expenses it also makes people appreciate that if they don't respect our property and T&Cs and then cause damage, etc, then they may not get a full deposit refunded.

I don't think it unreasonable to suggest they pay the security by 11 March and on receipt I'll then post the gate key first class post. If this is too difficult for them then I'd be worried who I'm renting to.

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

It is a bit awkward as you are not on site, but is your property manager nearby? Is it not possible for him/her to give the key on payment of the security deposit? We have had a similar request for our apartment from French families but as we go over to the apartment for each changeover, it is not a problem and we accepted the request, although normally we also take it with the final balance. The agency on site who handles many of the apartments on behalf of other owners only takes the deposit when the guests arrive and gives it back when they leave after a cursory check.

http://www.naturistholidays.fr
pambon

Post by pambon »

oasiscouple wrote:It is a bit awkward as you are not on site, but is your property manager nearby? Is it not possible for him/her to give the key on payment of the security deposit? We have had a similar request for our apartment from French families but as we go over to the apartment for each changeover, it is not a problem and we accepted the request, although normally we also take it with the final balance. The agency on site who handles many of the apartments on behalf of other owners only takes the deposit when the guests arrive and gives it back when they leave after a cursory check.

http://www.naturistholidays.fr
I also take the Deposit on arrival and return it after a quick check on their departure. In six years never, thankfully, had to retain it or part of it. (Always a first time though:cry: )
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

If you have a paypal account, do it by paypal.

they don't need one.

You can invoice them and they (or one of them) can put it on a credit card (that way, no one actually pays it until next month, by which time you will have refunded it).
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

Sam V wrote:For all bookings, I always ask for the security deposit with the final balance payment, purely to reduce the admin of three separate payments to chase.

...[]...

I don't think it unreasonable to suggest they pay the security by 11 March and on receipt I'll then post the gate key first class post. If this is too difficult for them then I'd be worried who I'm renting to.
You normally have two payments - deposit and balance (inc. security deposit). This time you'll still have two - deposit and final balance combined and separate security deposit. So that's fair.

If you give them another month to pay the security deposit they'll have received another month's salary to pay it with, which should ease their pressures.

Just make sure they realise that you're not sending the keys until you've got the security deposit and that if they're late you may not have time to send the keys at all.
juliew

Post by juliew »

In our experience ......

The French in general do not like to pay the security deposit before their arrival. They do like to meet on their arrival and check the property with you. They prefer to give you a cheque to hold until the end of their stay.

Security deposit when retained at the end of the stay leads to bad feeling and can lead to damaging reviews which may lose you bookings, way beyond the value of the breakage. The security deposit is only useful to emphasize that the guest needs to look after the house.

All in all it is debatable if the security deposit protects you financially and so should it really be a deal breaker?

Julie
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

I post guests the key to the security gate, there are 5 other private villas on the development, guests then have access to the front door key via a coded box. My manager usually then visits the following day, having left them a note of her visit. The guests can then arrive any time after 3.30 check in and have to leave by 10.30 on day of departure. I don't know what time the cleaner arrives after. I don't refund the deposit until the guests have posted the gate key back to me, by which time my manager will have emailed me if there were any damages. If they were to pay my manager they'd have to pay her in cash euros, but then I still would not refund them until I get the key back.

I'm not sure how invoicing via PayPal works if there is damage and they haven't paid the invoice?

Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sam, they would obviously have had to pay the invoice in advance.
pambon

Post by pambon »

juliew wrote:In our experience ......

The French in general do not like to pay the security deposit before their arrival. They do like to meet on their arrival and check the property with you. They prefer to give you a cheque to hold until the end of their stay.

Security deposit when retained at the end of the stay leads to bad feeling and can lead to damaging reviews which may lose you bookings, way beyond the value of the breakage. The security deposit is only useful to emphasize that the guest needs to look after the house.

All in all it is debatable if the security deposit protects you financially and so should it really be a deal breaker?

Julie
I would agree with that and I also do not make it a deal breaker; in fact I have a couple arriving next week for 7 nights and since they are on a fairly tight budget but are paying what I requested, after a period of haggling (!,) I have told them that I will waive the Deposit.
juliew

Post by juliew »

my point exactly pambon - it's not a deal breaker for you but it could be for them.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Unfortunately it's the French way and you will lose bookings if you trying to fight it. I have had a few like that but as I'm also not on site I've always found a compromise. Either they pay to be met and hand over cash (no one ever said yes to this luckily) or they pay, say 1 week before arrival but still after I have sent the keys.

If they don't cough up during their stay, then you have to send someone round to get the money.
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

kevsboredagain wrote:Unfortunately it's the French way and you will lose bookings if you trying to fight it. I have had a few like that but as I'm also not on site I've always found a compromise. Either they pay to be met and hand over cash (no one ever said yes to this luckily) or they pay, say 1 week before arrival but still after I have sent the keys.

If they don't cough up during their stay, then you have to send someone round to get the money.

My original enquiry was from the Uk.