Doesn't want to pay security deposit unitil date of arrival

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Sam V wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote:Unfortunately it's the French way and you will lose bookings if you trying to fight it. I have had a few like that but as I'm also not on site I've always found a compromise. Either they pay to be met and hand over cash (no one ever said yes to this luckily) or they pay, say 1 week before arrival but still after I have sent the keys.

If they don't cough up during their stay, then you have to send someone round to get the money.

My original enquiry was from the Uk.
Oops, sorry. I was reading the last few replies mentioning the French.
For the Brits, I've only had a few ask if they could pay the damage deposit closer to the time. I allowed this, as it seems totally fair to me. 3 payments though makes more work.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

All very reasoned thinking so far. I would be inclined to accept the need for three payments. Deposit, final balance and security deposit.

As you're posting keys, then I would expect the payment of the security deposit to be the point that would release the keys and for that to be clearly pointed out to them more than once. That should satisfy your needs, but allow the guest to keep their funds until much nearer the date of the holiday.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

So anyway, they agreed to pay the security deposit by 11 March, but now I've still not received the holiday payment. We're talking a total booking of £643 including the security deposit between 6 people arriving 22 March, if they can't afford to pay up £50 each this month and next .........?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Who says it's necessarily about being able to afford it? It sounds like a group of friends where one person has got to physically see them and gather the cash? People not involved in the booking process don't have the sense of urgency that the person booking may. The person booking is also not prepared to pay for the others until cash is in hand it appears, which is fair enough. I have to regularly organise a group collection/payment and it's always about the time effort involved, not the money.

You simply need to send a reminder that payment is due; the dates are not held until payment is received and keep the dates open for other enquiries. Then you've lost nothing but your time, which is what we all lose on failed enquiries.
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Sent a reminder, received a reply apologising for delay, they are students and have communication issues, now only 5 going, not 6, can they have a further discount/reduction.

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

Sam V

Post by Sam V »

She sent me another email this weekend now asking again how much it would be if 1 or 2 additional guests join them, which I requoted the price to her.

Now this morning I have had a reply saying she still needs to confirm if 1 more will be joining them.

AND

She also wants me to send her a 'booking confirmation letter' with the villa address and my contact details for her visa application which she needs by tomorrow as her appointment is on friday. Ive never had a request like this before. The group is all aged 19-21 all with African names.

I'm going to start this in a new post too... 'Now wants letter for Visa'