why does google not like me

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
sazzleevans

why does google not like me

Post by sazzleevans »

Just a quick question. I seem to do quite well on yahoo and askjeeves but on google theres a big NO show for all my site.

Any help would be appreciated!!

SARAH
WWW.EYEONISLACANELA.COM
WWW.ISLACANELAHOLIDAYS.COM
WWW.ISLACANELAGOLF.COM
Last edited by sazzleevans on Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

What are your keywords ?

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Isla Canela is my main word.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

A bit of a puzzle ?

"Isla Canela" has 1.2m references on google.com (all languages). Google has you indexed and has picked up some of your text http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search

The keywords seem to be included in the text, and meta tags OK.

They all appear OK on MSN search.

It could be the site has been recently revamped (google is quite slow) or the lack of inward links.

To help the robot, "Isla Canela is the perfect location to unwind and relax" could be a header and you could add alt text behind the images.

To gain inward links, it would be worth adding the url to some of the travel directories, etc.

You can see what google knows about you here : http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search

Just as an observation, I'd never heard of Isla Canela - is that the top keyword your potential customers would use ?

I'm sure others will have ideas on this.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Thanks....it is strange.

My key word is Isla Canela can I do anything?? I havent changed the site recently!

Thanks
Sarah
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

PS Got quite a few links too :oops:
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

sazzleevans wrote:PS Got quite a few links too :oops:
Google doesn't think so : http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... idays.com/

They always show very few links. They seem to measure relevance and page rank. For my site, the numbers are :

Google = 221
MSN = 2242
Yahoo = 1520

Not sure if google bundle age of site into the algorhythm but, in any event, time helps by building links from smaller search engines, directories and other websites.

You can check links inward here : http://www.linkpopularity.com

Peter
The Languedoc Page
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Thanks just checked that out.

Why do you think google doesnt like the links i have got then?

Sorry to be so dim!
SARAH
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

The whole thing mystifies me. I have about 9 links that google recognizes, a miserly Page rank of 1 (much lower than yours) and yet i'm in the top 3 on page 1 for a google on my village.

One thing I notice is that you don't seem to have much "content". Maybe if you increased the amount of relevant text describing various elements of your location google would pick you up.

Also, if you look at the top 2 sites they both have a more relevant website name than yours. As i understand it when google sees "EYEONISLACANELA" it does not see "EYE ON ISLA CANELA" but simply the string of letters. You would be better with a site called Isla-Canela.com, or Isla-Canela-apartments.com, etc. At least i think so. Study the high ranking websites of your competitors and try and see how they differ from yours.
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

I am completly boggled. I have been buzzy getting links and now it seems google doesnt recognise them??

Any thoughts before i go mad :roll:

Thank you

SARAH
PaulHigham

Post by PaulHigham »

Hi Sarah

With Google it depends on the links involved. Its quite a complex alogrithm that it uses, but the easiest way to check the quality of a link is if the link is from a page that has similar content to yours and most importantly what pagerank the page is. At the moment it looks like google doesn't count a link on a page that has a pagerank of less than 3, which a lot of link pages off websites are.

I can appreciate your dilemma as its happening to everyone.

cheers
Paul
The Worldwide Vacation Rentals Directory - www.selfrentals.com
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

sazzleevans wrote: Why do you think google doesnt like the links i have got then?
What makes you think Google doesn;t like your links? Just because they don;t show them doesn;t mean they aren't helping your cause!
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

Nevertheless it's strange that the first website as a google PR of 3 yet does not appear in the first 100 pages when you search on the location keyword.
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

ashtondav wrote:Nevertheless it's strange that the first website as a google PR of 3 yet does not appear in the first 100 pages when you search on the location keyword.
What makes you think it is strange that a PR3 page doesn;t show up for a particular search??
PR is just one of probably "hundreds" of different criteria that Google uses to determine whether a page is relavant for a particular search.
Does the page have title and description tags, headings, good and relavant on page content etc. Are the links from link farms, which could cause a penalty? Is the site new, it could be in the sandbox. How much competition is there?

Basically, just because a page is PR3 doesn;t mean it will come high in the searches - life isn;t that easy.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi

I am a bit stumped and have spent the last few days trying to get some more links that might help but i just cant undertstand it. I am self taught mainly from this site but i dont think i am smart enough to work this one out.

www.islacanelaholidays.com is about 2 years old and www.eyeonislacanela.com is about a year on. They are doing well everwhere else but not google...
SARAH