Noise!

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Well, once again this thread has shown how different we all are!

One of the very reasons we moved from Norfolk was the frequent disruption and noise from low flying aircraft over the coast, yet Nemo loves it! And don't get me started on the military bases there :roll: (yes, I'm a died in the wool peace camp veteran; partner is also pacifist and son of WW2 conscientious objector who lived ... near Salisbury Plain!).

So there you are, JoeH - it looks as though there's a guest for every season, so to speak! For each of us who wouldn't book because of your particular variables there's another who'd seek you out ...

Funny business, this, eh? :lol:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

:lol: :lol:

Yes FC as you say it takes all sorts! Mind you I'm sure I would feel differently if I lived there full time; but a holiday soon passes!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

French Cricket wrote: And don't get me started on the military bases there :roll: (yes, I'm a died in the wool peace camp veteran; partner is also pacifist and son of WW2 conscientious objector who lived ... near Salisbury Plain!).

Funny business, this, eh? :lol:
FC, you're far too valuable to this forum to be "died". I sincerely hope you are actually " dyed"!

I bet you were at Greenham Common too, with all the other peaceniks who made f*ck all difference to anything.

Molsie
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Moliere wrote: FC, you're far too valuable to this forum to be "died". I sincerely hope you are actually " dyed"!

:oops: :oops: :lol:
I bet you were at Greenham Common too, with all the other peaceniks who made f*ck all difference to anything.
Well there, dear Molsie, I must disagree with you (as you knew I would :lol:). One day, when you make it out here and we sit down with a glass of wine, I'll tell you why!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Dear FC, I'm so pleased to hear you are not in fact deceased, just tinted with a slightly red/green/pink hue.

As to why you think Greenham made the slightest bit of difference to anything, I look forward to hearing your rationale. I'm no warmonger - Iraq for instance was, IMHO, a blatantly criminal act by Blair and Bush and I fully supported the Demo. (Actually, I also supported the Countryside Alliance march against the hunting ban - but as a horsey person with hunting friends and a deep dislike of city-dwellers, I would, wouldn't I?)

Anyway, we will be there soon, in May, so start marshalling your arguments. Handbags at dawn, is it? :lol:

Mols
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

French Cricket wrote:...(yes, I'm a died in the wool peace camp veteran; partner is also pacifist and son of WW2 conscientious objector who lived ... near Salisbury Plain!).
Okaaaay, FC... so you don't like the landlord!

So much of England is inaccessible because it's in private ownership that I couldn't see what the problem was with Salisbury Plain as opposed to anywhere else. Now what you say makes sense and actually I do somewhat sympathise... but the very inaccessibility of parts of Salisbury Plain is exactly what has turned chunks of it into an excellent wildlife reserve - for both fauna and flora. It would be an ecological disaster if all of Salisbury Plain ever is made accessible to all.

I felt I had to defend that part of Wiltshire (on Joe's behalf!) because I know it well, I volunteered on several wildlife projects there and some of the walks - including in and around parts of Salisbury Plain - are gorgeous. Damning the area with a broadbrush "restricted access to much of the countryside" comment really didn't seem accurate or fair.

Hope all this is helping you, Joe. And don't forget the Bustards... :wink:
http://greatbustard.org/visit-the-release-site/
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I think we should be watching out for mutating wildlife. Before we know it, we'll have rampaging bomb-dodging rabbits, ferocious ferrets who can duck a tank-shell, and battle-hardened butterflies who can survive a gas attack before emerging to kill us all in our sleep.

Mols :lol: :lol: :lol:
CSE

Post by CSE »

Getting this back on track I hope.
I would assume the increase in activity is due to the concentration of military services. I think many years ago it was decided to use Middle Wallop as a base for all helicopter training. As I understand it basic fixed winged and flying the smaller ‘copters. Training to fly the larger ‘copters is based elsewhere.
Hopefully your guests will not notice a thing. Notice is always relative Just look at these sitting on the beach, with a jet flying over and kicking sand in their face.

Back in the 80s I lived within a few miles of Middle Wallop airfield. It is a lovely part of the UK
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Wow, that young man looks like he's just dropped right out of the hold onto a reserved place on the beach...a le oop!
Hmmmmm wonder if he booked with Thomson's? 8)
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
CSE

Post by CSE »

It looks as if there is even more troops heading towards 'The Plain'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-21667433
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
tchn

Post by tchn »

The answer phone number given in the article below will always be up to date with where training is taking place. Anyone wishing to walk on the plain will need this.

From: https://www.gov.uk/public-access-to-mil ... bury-plain

Salisbury Plain

Location details and access opportunities and restrictions for Salibsury Plain in Wiltshire.

In Wiltshire, 12 miles (19.2km) north of the city of Salisbury.

Site Description

The Army started land purchase on Salisbury Plain in 1897 and the total area of the current estate is just over 38,000 hectares. The Training Area measures 25 miles by 10 miles (40 km by 16 km) and occupies about one ninth of the county of Wiltshire.

Defence Training Estate Salisbury Plain (DTE SP) provides walkers with the opportunity to see an archaeological landscape, which is of unparalleled importance in Northern Europe. There are some 2,300 archaeological sites including features dating back to 4000 BC, along with more recent Roman settlements. Salisbury Plain has one of the most dense concentrations of ancient long and round barrows anywhere in Britain.

Salisbury Plain is the largest area of chalk grassland in north-west Europe and contains 40% of the remaining area of this habitat in the UK. In recognition of its importance about 20,000 hectares of grassland have been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and Special Area Conservation (SAC).

Species supported within the grassland include butterflies now uncommon in Britain such as marsh fritillary, adonis blue and brown hairstreak. All have healthy populations in the area. ATE SP is also designated as a Special Protection Area (SPA) for birds, such as the stone curlew where 10% of the UK population are found. Roe deer are numerous and are often seen by day.

Access Opportunities

A variety of access is available on DTE SP including the Imber Range Perimeter Path (IRPP), a waymarked route (see link under “Related pages”). The eastern third of DTE SP, the area shown as managed access on the OS Explorer map, is where the majority of access is available. The numerous rights of way remain open during military training, even when tanks are manoeuvring.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/63EFCE20 ... yPlain.pdf

The Bulford Ranges are adjacent to the managed access area and are closed to the public during Live Firing. They are used extensively, normally five days per week, Tuesday and Thursday evenings and at least one weekend per month. Red flags are flown or lamps lit at night around the danger areas, at which time public access is prohibited. When the flags are down or lamps unlit at night you may enter this Danger Area.

Further Information from…

For further information, call 01980 674763. An answer phone recording gives up to date information on areas open for public access.

OS Map References

OS Landranger Sheets 183 and 184 (1:50,000) OS Explorer Sheets 130 and 143 (1:25,000)
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Found this quite interesting reading - we are in Portsmouth which as some of you may know is home to a present day military as well as historic dockyard. We regularly get chinooks, harrier jets, helicopters and sometimes red arrows. Tbh I never really thought that this might cause noise disruption to guests and no one has ever mentioned it -but then again we re not in the countryside