Welcome/Information Folder

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
funkymonkey

Welcome/Information Folder

Post by funkymonkey »

What type of folder have you used for your Welcome/Info folder?

Last year I when I did our info folder, I just put the printed sheets into a plastic folder with integral plastic wallets and it looks pretty naff :oops:

What type of folder/wallet have you used?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I did the same at first, but was always replacing the file and the contents so I've bought a presentation binder, a laminator and a 4 ring hole punch. Still looks very new, but recent comments suggest it isn't read.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

The issue with Welcome books is that the contents change frequently, so plastic folders work very well, but yes, they can feel a bit naff. I like Helen's idea of laminated pages.

If you want to add a bit of class you can put the plastic pages into a hardbacked folder.
You can go one further and customize the folder. This is but one example of a customization process.

If your content does not change too frequently, I can strongly recommend Blurb for publishing your own glossy hardback book. This is a fantastic solution if you have a lot of images to include. I have only used it for photo books (holidays, weddings, babies) and the software that you download is super simple to use and very powerful and flexible. But its expensive if you change the contents frequently and have to republish each time. Expect somewhere around £18-£30 depending on how big/how swish/ you want to be.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You can slip a photo into the front cover too.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

I use a 3 ring binder, then put the pages into plastic page protectors. Right now is the time of year I go through it and print off the new info if anything has changed, such as opening hours, prices, etc.. for the theme park that is a big draw nearby. Farmers Market, times/places, etc.. Local restaurant info.

Not sure how much it is read... but it's there!

Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
elena

Post by elena »

With 7 gites & information folders both in English & French I too have the loose plastic inserts - couldn't afford to do anything more permanent.

I'm working on an online information folder which I'll send out to guests with their final payment receipt and was toying with the idea of just leaving one full info pack in the games room and in the gites just having laminated main guidelines for pool, golf & septic tanks.

My thinking is that people are more likely to read through it in anticipation of their holiday rather than when they arrive & are only interested in fun things.

I am hesitant a bit to change things though as even although I'm sure not many people actually read the stuff- and we're on site to help with everything- it is handy to have a reference on tap for the few that do ask a barrage of questions when they arrive.

May end up doing both - the jury is still out!

Elena
Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
keep in touch with Les Crouquets on Facebook
follow us on pinterest
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

I was intending to do an online information 'folder'. This would include instructional video for lighting fires etc as well as maps, attractions, restaurants etc. It is also simple to include the manuals for all equipment. We will have a computer in the house and possibly an ipad for environmental controls. I was even thinking of rigging it up with the security system so that a message would automatically play the first time a guest arrived at the house. This would get over the 'not reading it' group. It could be a simple "welcome, hope you had a nice journey, here is where the fire extinguishers etc are, more info is on this computer"

It also allows updating free and access from anywhere.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

If you're going to do an on-line information folder, make sure that the first chapter contains instructions on how to reboot the WiFi router :shock:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Martha

Post by Martha »

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me :) What happens when there's a power cut, or the internet goes down?

Someone here recommended these to use as binders which I keep meaning to do - the wooden ones.
http://www.impactmenus.com/

The main thing I have found with info folders is use pictures!

No-one reads them until you put nice photos in. Then everyone does, because they are fun to leaf through, and people will stop and read the relevant bits.

Lay them out nicely with not too much text, clear headings, and large, attractive, relevant pics.

Send it out as a PDF before the holiday so they can look through it - many people will print it out to look at on the journey as well, which is great.

Doing these 2 things has massively reduced the amount of questions we get and nearly everyone comments on how useful they are.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
pambon

Post by pambon »

Wendy@NarrowsCottage wrote:I use a 3 ring binder, then put the pages into plastic page protectors. Right now is the time of year I go through it and print off the new info if anything has changed, such as opening hours, prices, etc.. for the theme park that is a big draw nearby. Farmers Market, times/places, etc.. Local restaurant info.

Not sure how much it is read... but it's there!

Wendy
Me too, with a four ring binder, and a design on the front cover that I did with Publisher
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

powercut etc wouldn't bother an ipad for quite a while and you would certainly have a hard copy of important numbers etc. You can store the info on the computers harddrive so wifi would not be an issue either. I was thinking of making some laminated sheets to put in fireplaces etc saying something like "there are instructions for lighting fire at xyz"
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

We have three properties and although a lot of information is common they do have to be specific in some areas. We use a ring binder with plastic wallets and I can update/change whenever I like but it's usually about now I start looking at it and changing.

I have couple of pages of detailed text and then all the really important stuff (pool use, washing machine instructions, TV etc.) on separate pages with minimum text in an attractive 'font' with relevant pictures. These are Publisher documents I make myself and it seems to work.

We still get asked questions but that's life!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

The wooden person was me, though it's these that I use: http://www.menushop.co.uk/menu-covers-holders.asp.

We also send out our info file as a pdf with driving directions etc, a couple of weeks before the arrival date. There's a hard copy in each accommodation though, and I specifically say to people that there's no need to print it all out to bring with them (such an unnecessary waste of paper!).

This year I plan to put the file onto a password protected bit of our site as well - if I have time - but I'd never rely just on an online folder. Not just because of power or internet outages but because lots of people - me included - actually enjoy sitting down on their first evening with a glass of wine reading the folder from cover to cover.

I have to say Paddy that arriving to find a message playing at me remotely would seriously wind me up! It would feel like being in a lift.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Interesting to see that quite a few people send out information before the holiday. I'll have to give that some thought.

I agree about the automated message and having to look up everything on the computer. My idea of a holiday is to get away from all that - for me, 'im indoors and the kids!

Also, even in this day and age not everyone is comfortable with a computer!

Gillian
Unibond3

Post by Unibond3 »

We create an online version that contains everything from places to go to instructions. It includes pictures and how to reboot the Wi-Fi. Itis worth doing this properly, as it givers guests a clear impression as to what they can expect from your property - a hastily cobbled together document with no images suggests they can expect the same from your furnishings. United Airlines used to say, "Coffee stains on our seatback trays suggests we don't service our engines", and it's very true.

As elena says, people do read it more often in anticipation of their holiday. Housekeepers have said to us that they get called out far less often to attend to problems such as re-programming the DVD or working the dishwasher etc.

We also like to include discount vouchers we have set up with local attractions and restaurants, to enable guests to arrive with a plan in mind.

That being said, we do keep a copy of the directory in the property as well - although it does tend to be a little out of date by the end of the season as the online one tends to get updated.
Rick Bond
If you build it (properly) - people will come.

<a href="http://www.myfavouriteholidaycottages.co.uk">My Favourite Holiday Cottages</a>
<a href="http://www.myholidaymarketing.co.uk">My Holiday Marketing</a>