Immersion and Night Storage heater settings

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
LeanneA

Immersion and Night Storage heater settings

Post by LeanneA »

My property has E7 heating and immersion heater for hot water. Electricity will be "all in" rent.

I am planning to set the NS heaters on a suitable input for the weather at the time and obviously guests can adjust to suit themselves during their stay - I have instruction manual for those unfamiliar with them.

The Immersion has a 24 hour "pin" timer with on and off settings. I am thinking of setting it to come on for a couple of hours overnight on the E7 tarriff for the morning, and again for an hour or so late afternoon to provide hot water for tea time/evening use - I do this at home for my family and it works well. There is an over-ride switch on the timer to bring the immersion on for extra hot water at any time, but I am concerned with an "all-in" rent, some guests may switch on and leave it, or just forget to switch it off.

Any suggestions on how to get around this please?
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Some timers put themselves right when the next "off" time comes so that if you forget to turn it off manually then it will switch off automatically the next time that it is scheduled to switch off.
At least it won't be on all day for weeks!
Alternatively, put a solar panel on the roof :)
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

Change the override switch to a timed boost button. This will allow a guest to press the boost button for an extra hour of heat without changing the settings on the timer. In fact it is probably better to hide the timer with convenient settings and put the boost button in plain sight. If there is no hot water, press the button and hey presto!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

My hot water controller is a Horstmann Electronic 7. I set it for timed 2/3 times a day and then it has a big boost button which turns the water on for an hour if extra water is required. Works a treat.

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/water-heating.php