SMTP error from remote connection when replying to guest

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
CarolineH

SMTP error from remote connection when replying to guest

Post by CarolineH »

I have started using gmail to filter all my business emails into one location and I have just come across a potential stumbling block, which I think I have solved and would like to share it here - to prevent others having the same problem.

I received an enquiry from Homeaway from an email address Xxxxx7@aol.com. I replied to it normally and received a bounced email with the following error :

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

xxxxxx7@aol.com
SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
host mailin-01.mx.aol.com [205.188.59.194]: 554 mtain-db05.r1000.mx.aol.com ESMTP not accepting connections

I then used HomeAways replying service and the message went through and a second email reply from me got the same error.

The problem is that gmail automatically puts the reply address into lower case so instead of the address being Xxxxxx7@aol.com, gmail has translated it as xxxxxx7@aol.com which bounces.

I didn't think that case mattered in mail, but clearly it does. All solved now by manually entering the email address rather than just replying to the sender.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I don't it think it has anything to do with the upper/lower case of the email address.
The error message says that the mail server is not accepting connections - i.e. it has not got as far as looking at who the email is addressed to.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

newtimber wrote:I don't it think it has anything to do with the upper/lower case of the email address.
The error message says that the mail server is not accepting connections - i.e. it has not got as far as looking at who the email is addressed to.
Oh - then must it be just coincidence that each time I've tried to reply it's bounced like this and when I manually type the address in with the uppercase - it's gone through? Or is there anything else to do with replying and creating a new message that might affect it?

Thanks, newtimber
CSE

Post by CSE »

If you think it is a gmail problem maybe post a question here:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/gmail
They should know the answer.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

The case should not make a difference but AOL has always been "different". If you Google this problem you find it is indeed a real problem with AOL, who seem to have some servers where the case of the username or sometimes just the domain is important.