Comparing results from listings in HL, TA, FK & HA

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Brockles

Comparing results from listings in HL, TA, FK & HA

Post by Brockles »

The following is a detailed analysis based on the 15 months period to Jan 2013 inclusive. It should be noted that certain properties will appeal to different markets, and an owner with a winter rental chalet may experience entirely different results. However, the following is an accurate analysis for a large villa on the French Riviera.

Percentage of all initial enquiries received originated from:
HL 22% : TA 23% : HA 43% : FK 7% : Other 5% : Total 100%

After eliminating 13% suspect enquiries (neither phone nor credible email address) mainly from HA, the percentages change as follows:
HL 22% : TA 23% : HA 30% : FK 7% : Other 5% : Total 87%

Remaining percentage where enquirer responded by email after receiving info pack:
HL 11% : TA 18% : HA 9% : FK 5% : Other 3% : Total 46%

Remaining percentage of weeks actually booked originated from:
HL 9% : TA 7% : HA 0% : FK 0% : Other 7% : Total 23%

Significantly, note how HA’s enquiries start at 43% of all received, but dwindle away into zero bookings, whilst HL & TA enquiries were less but of higher quality, producing most of the bookings. FlipKey accounted for very little. ‘Other’ includes returning guests from previous year.

I have just gone ahead with Owners Direct, and will be fascinated to see how they compare.

I hope others will post their numbers here, so we can get a comprehensive survey for everyone!
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

Since january, HL 10 enquiries and 5 bookings, HA 13 enquiries and 0 bookings with 3-4 enquiries that could be fake.
Brockles

Post by Brockles »

Alvaro - you results are really quite close to mine. Interesting. I think about 25% of HA enquiries have been phishing or potential scams, as there was no SMS message with them, and my anti-virus (Kaspersky) blocked most of them as unsafe. I don't blame HA though, they are probably targeted more because of their global profile.

More feedback from others needed - please!
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Over the last 15 months, out of 67 enquiries I have had 23 bookings

HA group 44 enquiries and 10 bookings

HL & TA 10 enquiries and 3 bookings

My website, phone and repeat 13 enquiries and 10 bookings
Brockles

Post by Brockles »

wallypot - your results from HA are very good. You say 'HA Group'. Would you be kind and expand on your 'HA Group' content? I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be accessing HA North America only, which might explain a lot.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Homeaway UK, Fewkodirekt, Abritel, Owners Direct, VRBO, Homeaway Netherlands. I have the global package I believe.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

#Enqus #Bookings %Conversion Ratio
OwnersDirect. 69 15 22%
Holiday Lettings. 46 5 11%
Returning guests 13 7 54%
Website 9 3 33%
Tripadvisr 9 2 22%
HomeAway 9 1 11%
Lupain 1 1 100%
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Brockles

Post by Brockles »

Wallypott - I checked and I have the same sites included. Interesting why HA is so good for you, yet no bookings for me.

We have 4 members who have contributed to this survey so far. We need at least 10, preferably 20 to produce a chart that might be meaningful in determining where advertising money works.

It's in everybody's interest - more contributions please!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I don't record enquiries, but this year (I changed my advertisers half way through last year so not really a fair comparison) 28% bookings have come from HL group; 12% from OD; 9% internet cottages; 22% search engine. Returning customers and other small sites producing single bookings and those who don't say make it up to 100%!
No one booking admits to being referred to from myfavouriteholidaycottages :(
booboo

Post by booboo »

We have only been on the market for 13 months. Our main listing site is HA, others are free trails etc.
Our location is somewhere very few have heard about and those who do enquire then to want to book.

So even though I would like to contribute there is nothing to add!
Brockles

Post by Brockles »

newtimber - 22% bookings from search engines is excellent. I assume you mean that your own website has appeared on the search engine's pages. I must add a new column for this. You apparently have a knack here that by-passes the usual listing sites ! Thanks for your contribution.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Need to do a lot better than 22% to give up the listing sites though …
I could, of course, improve percentages by stop advertising on the listing sites and it would be 100% by search engines but then I might not have a business left :(
MoonFish

Post by MoonFish »

2012 was our 2nd full year of business, and I did have to shut for some building work (put a garage and an additional bedroom on our cottage in the low season)

bookings were as follows:
own website direct:3
VRBO:2
Homeaway (UK with US package added): 6
agent: 2 bookings (3-nights each!)
Flipkey: 4

Bookings varied in length, but total weeks 18.25

2013 to end of March (had to close for 3 weeks due to surgery):
own website direct: 5+1 repeat
VRBO:4
Homeaway (UK with US package added): 3
agent: ZERO
Flipkey: ZERO
AirBnB: 3

Bookings varied in length, but total weeks 17.5 to date - Plus one already booked for next January from Homeaway.co.uk!

Disappointed in Flipkey, considering dropping them altogether. The last booking taken for them was for a week February 2012, which means it was actually made in 2011 - NOT good enough!
A good friend will help you move house - a great friend will help you move a body...

www.moonfishvillas.com
Stewart

My Listing Site Figures

Post by Stewart »

I let a decent two bedroomed cottage north of Edinburgh. There is no big USP but is located in a nice rural spot.

BTW we booked out the equivalent of 33 weeks in 2012 which is 8 better than Scottish national average. So I guess we can draw from this is that we have a sensibly priced product that people want.

Bookings all 2012 / 2013 so far

Own website 27% / 20%
Referral word of mouth 28% / 10%
HL 16% / 33%
TA 3% / 10%
HA not used / 5%
OD not used /nothing so far
Cottageguide zip / zip
repeat business 26% / 20%

A few disability sites (the cottage has a stairlift, ramps, electric chair etc) - A big fat zero / zero. I guess that money spent on a jacuzzi would have made a better return.

HL/TA are clearly doing it for me although I worry that they will strong arm me to use their dubious payment model (complete with crap cashflow and onerous T&C's)

Cottageguide. Clearly failing to hold it with the big Pay Per Click players who do spend serious money on Google advertising. Hit rate poor, enqs virtually non-existent. I can see them selling their customer listing as they are not competitive. THe functionality of their site seems trapped in the early 1990's too alas.

My real worry is the combined basic HA/OD listing is giving me a pile of bargain hunter enquiries but no business. I had hoped they would provide a feasible alternative to the increasingly autocratic HL. No evidence of that and their customer service to date has been friendly but unable to effect prompt fixes. Shame.

Should the LMH community at large not be getting a bit more serious about the performance of paid for listing sites and sharing our info? Something prominent and sticky please Mr Moderator
Nemo

Re: My Listing Site Figures

Post by Nemo »

Stewart wrote: Should the LMH community at large not be getting a bit more serious about the performance of paid for listing sites and sharing our info? Something prominent and sticky please Mr Moderator
Yes, unfortunately Stewart, the vast majority of the LMH community do not contribute. You may have noticed, but it is a small number of us who post regularly; the rest just read and learn without contributing!