how to appear in searh engines

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Alvaro

how to appear in searh engines

Post by Alvaro »

Hi. I have created this web which is not finished yet with promote my place www.holidayrentalsduquesa.com

The webpage is completely useless and frustrating as I don´t appear anywhere in google or others. (Well, it helps to get adverts listed when they ask you to reciprocate)

Promote my place indicates that for each page one should target some key words and put them in the description, title, text etc so I use three or four keywords even if it becomes very repetitious but it doesn´t make any difference.

So I think I need some help with this so that at least I appear somewhere in the internet.

Promote my place offers some kind of subscription to help you maximize visibility but I don´t know if it is any good.

Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Regards.
Last edited by Alvaro on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

There could be a very simple answer.

When I clicked on your link to www.holidayrentalsduquesa.com it says the page does not exist !

Have you paid your PMP subscription ?

:wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

It's because there is a dot at the end of com.

It works on your link Richard.
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

Dot removed :(
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Alvaro, I've set up a few PMP websites now, so know my way around. However, it does take time for a website to be found, and there a 608,000 results for 'holiday rentals duquesa' so it is going to need some work.
Looking at your home page, there are several errors on there which would make me leave without looking further. Lack of full stops in the section about the golf courses make it look crowded and confusing. Cocrodile park instead of crocodile. As for getting your website noticed some small changes would help enormously. For example instead of 'the region', call it Costa del Sol or something more specific. You've used 'the region' rather a lot on the local area page.
Get an English-speaker to proof read it for you too.
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

Hi Helen. It´s interesting that you assume that i wrote all that text. Well, I haven´t :D It is all copy/pasted from english speaking adverts. I wil correct it though but I don´t really think that will help me because they will never hit my webpage to start with.
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

Corrected now!!!

I don´t like the page called Details as I don´t know what information i´m supposed to put there.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

It is all copy/pasted from english speaking adverts.
Is that even legal? Isn't that plagiarism. I had understood that the google monster hates pages with identical content and "punishes" them, so maybe therein lies the problem.
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

wallypott wrote:
It is all copy/pasted from english speaking adverts.
Is that even legal? Isn't that plagiarism. I had understood that the google monster hates pages with identical content and "punishes" them, so maybe therein lies the problem.
Hi. omg :D

I am a lawyer and no, i don't think it is plagiarism. At least in this part of the world. I also know the people from which I took the text and believe me they won't care. Anyway, text has been taken from at least four different sources plus the bits I have added and which came from my own creative mind. I can rephrase everything, that's not a problem. Seriously, all adverts around here say about the same things and use almost identical wording (beach, sea views, sun, luxury, etcetera) plus most people don't really read anything, they just look at the pictures. There are thousands of apartments in this area.

However, do you really think that doing such a thing would help or make any difference?, rephrasing it won't take me more than 20 minutes so I will do it if it helps. Thanks.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The 'details' title can be changed to whatever you want it to be. It is meant to give lots of details about your property. The home page should draw them in and make them want to look further.
Use more photos down the left hand side to show off its best features.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I have been told that Google likes good content (and I don't just mean certain key words, but useable, interesting CONTENT) and definitely punishes those who have identical text.

I have about 10 different ads scattered around the internet for just one cottage. With this in mind, I have never copied and pasted any of my OWN words (or anyone else's for that matter!) and always sit down to write a completely newly worded listing every time and deliberately don't look at anything I have written before and which is published on the internet. Of course, inevitably, people will use the same phrases unintentionally and I am sure I must have repeated myself in one way or another. Sometimes, you just can't avoid it.

I take great exception to people who copy MY text and was really annoyed when a large tourist website did that (and my photos as well). I think though, that Google knows whose is the earlier text and puts the second and following ones down in the rankings.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Alvaro wrote: Seriously, all adverts around here say about the same things and use almost identical wording (beach, sea views, sun, luxury, etcetera) plus most people don't really read anything, they just look at the pictures. There are thousands of apartments in this area.
There in lies your problem. What's special about yours? Why do I want to come there?

You can really improve on the wording by trying to sell a dream more. You need to stage your photos; I want to see accessories, the table laid for a meal, pictures on the wall, a glass of wine in the sunshine.

This is a basic website that looks professional but gives me no reason to particularly want to book this over any other. If it's simply a site to offer information once they land there from a listing site etc then it's doing it's job. Otherwise, I would read a lot of the advice given on this site in many of the website threads, act on it, and you'll be well on your way.
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

I appreciate your comments and I agree with Nemo. Right now I´m just putting some content and wondering how to be seen. That´s my main concern and obsession right now. I´m not focusing quite yet in turning visitors into bookings (i wish i was in that phase!!!) as I have 0 visitors (all visits come from myself, friends, people enquiring through paid sites to whom i send my link via email, etc)

However, it is true that people may land on my website after seeing my paid advert. I wasn´t really having that in my mind. To keep things simple I wanted to focus on google first and then on how to attract bookings.

I think FelicityA´s advice in the same line as wallypott´s is great. I will rewrite the whole thing. I will also change the text for every important listing.

Nemo, I watch my competitors quite closely and none of them have the quality I offer, meaning most of them haven´t repainted the property since bought, have furniture that are ten years old and outfashioned etc. Properties that are not beachfront but way up in the hill may offer a quality closer to mine and cheaper prices to attract bookings-they also lie a bit about how close the beach is. Then there are some great beachfront properties in new developments that have my quality or much more but they factor that into the price while I keep it reasonably cheap. I am a bit against those pictures where you show a bottle of wine and then the sunset behind or the towels on top of the beds, flowers, etc. I find them a bit cheesy and I feel a bit embarassed with that idea. That´s obviously a feeling I may supress if needed :)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

You'd do well to supress it! After all, we all come on holiday to relax and dream. I won't book somewhere that is a lesser quality to where I live and after all I drink wine at home, have pictures on the wall, coloured cushions, a table laid (well only for guests - but you get the picture!) etc.

When it comes to appearing in searches, then it will take a while to climb in the search results. Updating your site and adding fresh content all helps. I regularly update but only the special offers etc and yet that seems to work. My site is however not to be used as a good example - it was done in a hurry and has been awaiting an upgrade for a long time. Trouble is it does actually work! I get a lot of bookings direct from my site.
dizza2560

How to appear in search engines

Post by dizza2560 »

I am not equipped at all to advise you on the best way to appear in results. I too have my own website www.yorkholidaycottagerental.com I have not put it up for review yet as I know it needs work, but I am on the second page of google if you type in my website name with gaps between the words.
I have had a look at your ad on HA and I agree that your presentation needs some attention, it looks a bit clinical to me, not very inviting.
Some artwork would be good, a few nicely positioned ornaments etc. That would make it look more welcoming.
I think the key here is that although people enjoy food by the taste, as important is the presentation.
The same applies to holiday rental, the first thing people will do after hopefully an area/ price/occupation/availability filter is look at the photos to see which appeals to them the most, they choose and book.
So it is especially important to create the best impression you can.
I would rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy