how to appear in searh engines

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

We are going a bit off topic here. I´m sure you are right and it works for the standard holidaymaker but it doesn´t work for me. I will explain myself: I rather book an apartment with a leather sofa that costs 3000 euros than one with an ikea sofa that costs 300 but has lots of pink cushions and ornaments. That´s just me, I now that. But there is people around just like me that know what they are buying and don´t get easily seduced by ornaments. As a matter of fact I know quite a few people that are put off by cheesy selling technics.

However, I do care about details, there are new curtains not shown in the pictures plus ornaments on the walls plus new side lamps etc. Just look at the old living room http://s14.postimage.org/6atbgfys1/living_room.jpg and compare it to how it looks now. I´ve done a bit of work as you can see. I also want to add that the old picture can very well represent standard quality around here. I have also received beautiful words from renters so that´s not an issue right now for me, I don´t want to start worrying about other things now!!! google is a big enough problem!!! My weeks are also selling as expected for my market, i don´t have a problem with that so far.
Last edited by Alvaro on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well that's put us in our place with our cheesy selling techniques! No matter, it works for us, so we'll just disagree on that one.

Funnily enough, apart from the old large TV screen I think the old lounge looks more inviting, but there you go, I'm not your target market clearly! I've just noticed that you have a typo on the dining room photo - it says dinning.

I wouldn't obsess over Google and SEO; you'll tie yourself up in knots and probably won't achieve much. The site will gradually climb in the results if it's relevant and providing the right sort of information for the area and property.

Much better to not worry about search results and concentrate on getting the right sort of site for your guests. By providing what your guests needs, the higher ranking will naturally follow. Again, I can only repeat, read some of the threads on SEO here for lots more information.
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

Nemo. I am goint to take it personal now. How on earth would you think the first living room is more inviting? It is a great dissapointment to hear such things when the old living room looked horrible. So let´s leave it here. Sell your place how you want!! I haven´t even looked at your advert so I don´t know how you sell it and if it works for you fantastic!! You probably think I have looked at your advert and think it´s cheesy, well, i haven´t. When you say the old living room is more inviting I find it a bit offensive. There is money, time and thought spent on it.

And yes, I will put ornaments, actually, there are ornaments. And yes, I know presentation is important and it gets you bookings. Anyway, I am already 11 weeks booked which is more than the old inviting apartment just to do. Also please notice this is self catering seasonal accomodation. No B&B here or other type of market.

Could I get now please some help with my problem which is google?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The key to your position on Google is to produce a site with good content. However, even if you are no 1 and don't have photos and information that appeal to the standard holidaymaker, they will head off to look at no 2 instead. The things aren't necessarily two separate problems. Your problem with Google is more likely to be solved by good original text and inviting photos. You need to make it stand out from the crowd.
Below I have rewritten your text and corrected some errors. Feel free to use it or not as you wish. I have put the alterations in italics.
Welcome to our sunny beachfront apartment in Duquesa port on the Costa del Sol. . Our self-catering accommodation is right next to Duquesa port and Marina in the middle of Costa del Sol.

Enjoy Spain's finest beaches, the sea life and lots of activities.

The apartment is in a quiet area idyllically situated on the seafront and next to the marina and port area at Puerto de la Duquesa in Manilva. It is approx 25 mins from Gibraltar and 50 mins from Malaga airport.

Within the marina there are cafes, bars, boutiques, restaurants, supermarket, butcher, and a bank.

There are also full marina services and a business centre. The Duquesa golf course is within walking distance

There are no high rise hotels or apartment blocks in the area, which has helped to maintain its charm and its character. The blue flag sandy beach stretches past Sabanillas to Estepona. On the other side it winds along the coast to the well known resort of Sotogrande.
The Duquesa waterfront is closed to traffic making it safe for families.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Alvaro, it's not personal. I'm sorry that you should take it that way. Nothing I say to someone I don't know here is about them; I'm commenting on your website and how your property is portrayed.

I am looking at the photos as a prospective guest, but also from my years as a renter and from a great deal of knowledge gained here from others who are generous enough to share their wisdom and experience. You may have spent a great deal of money on an expensive couch and redecorating but I'm afraid therefore your photos don't do it justice.

You have dismissed the tactics of staging photos as cheesy. I have agreed to disagree on that one, but I can assure you there are a great many seasoned professionals here who know that staging works.

I can't help you with your SEO any further than the suggestions I made earlier, so I have nothing further to add to this thread.
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

Ok, i have just checked Nemo´s and dizza´s adverts and I don´t find that they are cheesy. That´s not what I meant by cheesy. A bit of colour and flowers is ok. However I´m not looking for a presentation such as Dizza´s which is more the comfortable, homy feeling, fireplace, etcetera. I am focusing at luxury within budget and location. People come here to spend all day in the swimming pool and beach.

To give you an idea, this is the kind of look I want to achieve http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/duquesa/150799 but my living room is very small so I can´t quite get it like that.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I will also add that there are plenty of hints and tips on SEO, keywords and Google on the Promote my Place blog.
and with that, I am also out.
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

Thank you Helen. That´s nice. I appreciate it. However, I am not posting in the "review my site" section because I wasn´t ready to get my website reviewed. My pictures will be improved to portrait the ornaments and decoration that is not showing, that´s ok, but I don´t see why that is related to google.

Having original content and not one that is a copy/pasted and repeats itself through many websites I think it´s a very good advice.

Apart from that I was hoping for some advice on which keywords to use and where to include them. I am using keywords that are very common such as holiday rentals duquesa or holiday rentals costa del sol so I don´t know if i should look for less common search words such as self catering accomodation in costa del sol.

There are also many opinions on whether to tackle three words or if it has to be more.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

If you get the content right, the SEO should follow naturally.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Alvaro

Don't expect to get anywhere on Google or Bing (which is also very important) as new websites can take anything up to 6-months even to appear on page 8 for a very popular destination. Of course if you're the only property in the village and someone searches on that village you will be on page 1.
Google in particular puts emphasis on content and less on keywords and numbers of back links - they do like back links but they must be in context with your website, social networking links are also important, again with relevant content. Bing still rates keywords as more important so get yourself registered with Google Analytics so your can build up some statistics and find out what was used to get to your site; you can then start to add better relevant keywords.
SEO is a very complex and time consuming, don't get sucked into SEO as an end in itself, don't use SEO companies that promise to get you on page 1, they can't. Keep you site up to date, add new content regularly and you'll gradually rise up the pages.

It took me nearly a year to get on page 1, I work at the site making sure it's accurate and up to date.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

Essar wrote:Alvaro

Don't expect to get anywhere on Google or Bing (which is also very important) as new websites can take anything up to 6-months even to appear on page 8 for a very popular destination. Of course if you're the only property in the village and someone searches on that village you will be on page 1.
Google in particular puts emphasis on content and less on keywords and numbers of back links - they do like back links but they must be in context with your website, social networking links are also important, again with relevant content. Bing still rates keywords as more important so get yourself registered with Google Analytics so your can build up some statistics and find out what was used to get to your site; you can then start to add better relevant keywords.
SEO is a very complex and time consuming, don't get sucked into SEO as an end in itself, don't use SEO companies that promise to get you on page 1, they can't. Keep you site up to date, add new content regularly and you'll gradually rise up the pages.

It took me nearly a year to get on page 1, I work at the site making sure it's accurate and up to date.
Jesus, i didn´t know it would take that long.

Thank you for your advice Essar.

I´m putting Helen´s corrections into the text and introducing some new text.

I´m struggling with this:
The beach beign just 20 meters away from the resort and having no other beachfront complexes around gives the guest a feeling of privacy and exclusiveness.
Could anyone rephrase that into what i want to say? which is: even if the beach is not private, you have a feeling of privacy as it´s just in front of the complex and there are no other complexes right in front.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The beach beign just 20 meters away from the resort and having no other beachfront complexes around gives the guest a feeling of privacy and exclusiveness.
The beach is just 20 metres from the resort. As there are no other beachfront properties close by, this gives you a sense of privacy and exclusivity.
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

Thank you Helen, you are the best.

By the way. This is my text in HL which I´m correcting
This apartment has been furnished to a very high standard and enjoys sea views and a southwest orientation that brings sun all day long. It comfortably accomodates four people and a fifth guest is also possible. Its privileged position within a fantastic holiday complex (Marina de la Duquesa) brings many hours of sun to this property while allowing guests to benefit from sea views across the communal swimming pools and gardens.

There is a terraced area that is perfect to enjoy meals outside or a few drinks as the sun goes down.

The apartment has one double and one twin bedroom with an extra roll out single bed if required. Originally fitted out to a high standard it has been recently uplifted to a modern standard. It has central air conditioning and heating. Most of the furniture are new and modern and it has been tastefully decorated.

The apartment enjoys all the mod cons and has every item you would expect in your own home including CD player, DVD player, flat screen TV, satelite TV, dish washer, a utility room with washing machine, oven, microwave and a large fridgefreezer. It includes free broadband internet access.

The apartment has a private parking underground space and a storage room.

The complex is fenced and enjoys 24hs private security.

The urbanisation is very secure for children. It is fenced and there is a lifeguard service during the summer.

Marina de la Duquesa is a very desirable and attractive holiday resort for everyone due to its superior facilities and unbeatable location by Puerto de la Duquesa marina and Sabinillas town. Less than 50m away is the bustling centre and marina with plenty of bars and restaurants to suit everybody's taste.

Resort facilities include 4 swimming pools, Padel tennis courts, Sauna, Games room, Gym, 24hr security, beachfront access and underground parking.

This property is highly recommended for those looking for a beach holiday and wanting to be within easy walking distance to all amenities.

Note: Ideal for golfers and families. No pets

Please note that published prices are for weekly periods. There are short breaks available in low and medium season, minimum three days.

FREE INTERNET inside the apartment.

EXTRA BED AVAILABLE FOR 50 EUR/WEEK

LOW PRICES AND SPECIAL OFFERS FOR MARCH, APRIL AND MAY, PLEASE ASK

When booking for less than a week please ask about prices.

Please no smoking except on balcony.

Cots and high chairs are for free.
It is quite long and i repeat apartment all the time. Any ideas to improve it would be very much appreciated.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've used bullet points on my website so that I didn't repeat myself too much. Could you give your apartment a name? e.g, Apartment Alvaro (or something else unique to you). , it would make it more personal, and give you an alternative to just referring to it as 'the apartment'.
Alvaro

Post by Alvaro »

Essar wrote:Alvaro

I just checked Bing. With Bing i appear on the first page, third result, using "holiday rentals duquesa". For google I have used some programs like Free monitor google and still can´t find my web using the same search words.