Twitter accounts

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
Nemo

Twitter accounts

Post by Nemo »

We don't really have an appropriate area for social media stuff, so I thought I'd put it here along with facebook discussion.

Twitter - I haven't yet dived in but I'm being told from many that I should!

I haven't decided what to call myself yet - not sure that I want to use my actual name. I see others use their business name twice, so I'll think on that. Any benefits one way or another?

Any advice? How do you find who to follow and how do you best collect followers? Any of you actually get bookings via twitter or is it just another tool to keep your name out there?

If anyone wants to put their twitter account here please do, but I suspect we should have a sticky for this as we do with the facebook sticky, so account names don't get lost in amongst the posts. Unless, of course, no-one has anything much to say on the matter!
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

I do have a Twitter account but not been using it to its full advantage. With more & more ''competition'' in my area lately I have been researching the best ways to use Twitter. I am still learning, but very slowly getting there.

Apparently getting re-tweets is important for all sorts of reasons, including Google ranking!!

If you Google the best ways to use Twitter for business it gives you some ideas - I am still in the process of doing this & by no means an expert. The use of hashtags play an important part, but it is really best to have a bit of a Google to get the idea of how to get the best from it. I am still an amateur.

Only a couple of days ago I changed my Twitter name.I had been using a previous old account, but have now changed it - starting with my name, and then my cottage name/location. Someone much cleverer than me that has been on a course for using social media with holiday home marketing was advised to use her full name in her profile followed by her user name as @property/location

We have had loads of Facebook bookings now.Had one on Sunday for 2014! Until last week we hadn't had a Twitter booking, but then got Easter booked via Twitter. very pleased about that. Some of the other holiday home owners I know have had quite a few Twitter bookings.

You can also link your Facebook & Twitter accounts. When I post on Facebook it posts directly onto Twitter. I now realise you need to actually make the effort to post on Twitter too, interact with others, get new followrs, follow new people, re-tweet others and they may re-tweet you etc etc.

If anyone wants to follow me I will always follow them back.One thing I did pick up - if you are in the same line of business, you will maybe have quite a few followers who follow tourism/holiday owners etc. If you re-tweet another holiday home owner in a different area/country it may be picked up by followers who will be interested in that person and they may then follow them too. Like I say - I am still learning, but there are a lot of tourism/holiday oriented people on Twitter. I say give it a go, nothing to lose and everything to gain.

This is me on Twitter if anyone is interested - https://twitter.com/MarshViewCamber
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks marshfrog, that's some very useful advice you have given. You seem to be doing incredibly well on the social media front and it looks like you spend ages doing it. I know I'm spending far too long, even when scheduling stuff on fb! Nothing to lose you say? Except time......!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ok done it. This is me but I haven't yet composed my first tweet!

https://twitter.com/NorfolkCoastal
Lindisfarne

Post by Lindisfarne »

Hi Nemo

Just followed you !!

@LindisfarneCott https://twitter.com/LindisfarneCott

Amazingly I already followed marsh frog and Sue follows me

Agree with everything mf has to say apart from linking FB to Twitter - Personal preference only

Takes up a lot of time but can lead some bookings however I am still waiting

Use of # is good especially as there are #hours for example #northeasthour where the business community embrace each other - There is sure to be an #hour in your area

Happy Tweeting :P :P
People in Stone Houses should not throw Glass

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Lindisfarne wrote: Use of # is good especially as there are #hours for example #northeasthour where the business community embrace each other - There is sure to be an #hour in your area

Happy Tweeting :P :P
Gosh, looking greek to me! I searched #hours and got nothing useful, so not sure about that one?

I'm finding a few of us LMH'rs now, so hello to you all!

Is there a protocol in tweeting someone when you start following them? I can follow lots of people but obviously need to get followers, so should you tweet (when you start to follow) in the hope that more people see you?
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Twitter can have a negative impact as one retweet says

@conwy_marina nearly £100each person, go abroad for that? Wales must reduce the cost of holidays to get people back from Spain Etc .
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Can you reply to it? Not sure it's worth the effort though! There will always be those that are negative whatever you do, but hopefully the majority of interaction is positive?
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Would love to reply and ask what rate a 4 bedroom 3 bathroom sleeps 8 rental with sea views should be at Easter but shall rise above it.

I've liked you all also.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Lindisfarne

Post by Lindisfarne »

Nemo wrote:
Gosh, looking greek to me! I searched #hours and got nothing useful, so not sure about that one?

Is there a protocol in tweeting someone when you start following them? I can follow lots of people but obviously need to get followers, so should you tweet (when you start to follow) in the hope that more people see you?
Hi Nemo -
Sorry to have confused you. There is no #Norfolkhour but one is sure to follow at some point

IMHO the protocol when somebody follows you is to Thank them but if you follow somebody messaging can be seen as spam unless you have something specific to tell them

:P
People in Stone Houses should not throw Glass

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well my twitter followers will already know this, but I've linked my facebook page to twitter. The text status have been shared but not the photos. I have status updates, photos and links all ticked in the edit settings section, but nothing else. So why is only the text status being shared? The photos I post are all shared rather than my own, but I don't think that should make any difference. I haven't posted a link yet. Can anyone help?
arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Post by arkvilla »

I have also lonked my Facebook toTwitter as it make sit so much easier.

I'm a creature of habit so no surprise here..........my Twitter name is....... @arkvilla :lol:

Sandra
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Is it working for you arkvilla? I don't know what to do to remedy mine. I'm assuming you can tweet shared photos & the accompanying text from fb?
arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Post by arkvilla »

Nemo wrote:Is it working for you arkvilla? I don't know what to do to remedy mine. I'm assuming you can tweet shared photos & the accompanying text from fb?
Yes, it works fine.

Try the help section on FB, that's how I did it and now anything I post on FB goes straight to Twitter :D
Unibond3

Post by Unibond3 »

There's a useful article entitled 'Seven Ways to Effectively Use Twitter' on Site Pro News today: http://bit.ly/VNGgja

In addition I posted a similar type of advice article on our blog last August which might also be helpful: http://bit.ly/O0ErZy

Enjoy!
Rick Bond
If you build it (properly) - people will come.

<a href="http://www.myfavouriteholidaycottages.co.uk">My Favourite Holiday Cottages</a>
<a href="http://www.myholidaymarketing.co.uk">My Holiday Marketing</a>