Using Facebook more effectively

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
tchn

Using Facebook more effectively

Post by tchn »

There are long threads about setting up Facebook pages but little on how to make best use of it. I'll share my own observations and ideas in the hope that others may share theirs. Regular users have the evidence they need from page insights. I am no expert, even if I sound convincing.

Raising reach

Posting frequently is good, but risks just alienating people if it is the same group always receiving it (you can check who has hidden your posts and which post prompted it by exporting data in page insights). You really need to spread the word by getting new people to see your posts. That means you need to get your regular audience engaged - clicking links, liking things, or, ultimately - sharing your posts – so that you appear on their timelines - the ‘virality’ that you see in Insights.

Using photos From Facebook in general, you can see that crazy videos have the highest virality, which probably don’t suit holiday cottages, but great photos can pull in the audience. I suggest uploading an album of photos, so that the audience are inclined to click to get into the album – rather than just glance at it on the mainpage. Really stunning photographs, or funny ones, often get shared. I have a series of photographs of birds in my garden, sheep in the lane and more detail on the interior of the cottage. These have generated high levels of interaction. I need more great views.

Asking QuestionsThe other technique which seems to be effective is asking questions of the audience, however I’ve seen this done both well and with little effect, so think carefully. People are very wary of getting dragged into your marketing. I try to pay attention to what things on other sites make me decide to contribute (Nemo you got me on one recently). You can combine the two – I ran a ‘Name that Bird’ on the album mentioned above. Only a few answered, but a lot clicked through and had a look. I’m planning on more: ‘Name that Fell’, ‘Have you tried any of these beers?’ – photos of local pub bars et al.

Ganging up If you have good links in the local area then encourage people in passing to like and share your posts, and do the same. I try to share things from local pubs, the Mountain Rescue team and local attractions, which is useful for the reasons I discuss below, but is most useful if they return the favour every now and then, especially if they have established profiles and avid readers. I hung a photo taken by a local photographer (with a good Facebook following) in the cottage, photographed it and arranged for him to share it on his page for a few days. It doesn’t need more than that, most of the reach is within the first 48 hours, it seems.

Timing IMPORTANT! I think you need to get the message spread when people are active on Facebook, and when they might be considering holidays. I now Schedule multiple posts in advance (write the post as usual but click the clock in the bottom corner and set the time to be published). Friday afternoon, to hit the lazy last hour at work and commutes, Sunday mornings, when many seem to book in the afternoon. More posts in school and public holidays when people look ahead.

Building guest relations
I’m really not sure about the points above and how much initial interest they will generate, but I think it is brilliant for sealing the deal or encouraging repeat visits by getting guests excited about their holiday. To keep webpages clean, you will only have a few photos on your (or agency) webpages, but on my Facebook page I can tell stories and give people a real feel for the uniqueness of the property and the opportunities in the area. I send out the Facebook link in my first interactions with guests, and I am encouraging them to check in and leave Recommendations afterwards, or post photograpsh (I suspect most won’t). I want the agency to link to it on my cottage page, but I think they fear that I will steal the bookings back. I wouldn’t – they are key to the success we are having and most bookings come through them.

Do you agree with my points?

Caveat: We are in the early days, having only advertised since New Year and for booking from 2 weeks ago. I am only sure of one booking which came through Facebook (the parents of a Friend who liked the page). There may be others; I direct people to the agency (my first year, and it's working out well) for bookings (risking them seeing other properties, but we are coming out on top when I compare bookings to our competitors). Indeed I often link to the agency in my posts and they tend to ‘Like’ them, raising my profile.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Interesting points.

I didn't know that stuff about exporting data...must check that out!

Agree with you there's no point in boring your existing likers to death with the same old stuff. You have to keep finding new and interesting angles while also presenting the dream to potential guests.

No idea how "successful" is my page yet. No bookings so far.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Thanks tchn that's really useful. I've been stumbling along on facebook just doing what I think feels right. I've discovered that landscape photos eg of the beach seem to generate the most interest and likes for us!

Even though I've got very few likes, so far I've had two enquiries from facebook and one booking so I think it's worth the effort/work.

I must do some more work on directing guests who have booked to the website so they can get updates on their forthcoming holiday - that's something I haven't done yet.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Interesting post - thank you

Can you elaborate on "you can check who has hidden your posts and which post prompted it by exporting data in page insights"

I can't see that level of data. :cry:
tchn

Post by tchn »

Can you elaborate on "you can check who has hidden your posts and which post prompted it by exporting data in page insights"

Windy - on the insights page you should have a grey button towards the top left which says "Export Data". You can then select page or post level data. Download both, have a look at them. It's all in spreadsheet format, with multiple pages, and contains far more information than on the graphs. One is 'negative feedback' - i.e. when people seen your post and selected 'hide this post' or 'hide posts from this user'. The only example I have is of a LMHer who kindly liked my page, but didn't want all the updates. I sometimes do this to others, unless I like what they do and monitor them for ideas!
lorca

Post by lorca »

well I´ve exported the data and I can´t see any names - only which posts have had a negative click :cry: - two people didn´t like OH´s strawberry jam recipe....one of them reported it as spam :wink:
If not now, when?
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

The most successful post I have done was a video about the Granville Carnival which I found on You Tube.
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

Helpful tips :)

We have now had several bookings via Facebook :D The guest before last and our current guest plus others were as a direct result of using Hike Those Likes - where you like each others pages and they should like you back. My one big tip is to only like pages you are interested in or else it can get annoying constantly getting posts in your newsfeed you are not remotely interested in.

For me I like crafts, so like all the craft pages. They are also very good at engaging and interacting on your Facebook page. Yesterday, the current guest posted on a post I made - very complimentary and obvious she was actually in our property at the time, so was really pleased about that.

It really is worth plugging away at it as we have now had so many FB bookings it is fast becoming our main booking source!!
Last edited by marsh frog on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
tavi

Post by tavi »

Can't see how to discover who gave negative feedback. I've had three!

By the way, if I've hidden any of you lot's posts it's nothing personal - only that my newsfeed is so full! :D
tchn

Post by tchn »

lorca wrote:well I´ve exported the data and I can´t see any names - only which posts have had a negative click
Yes, sorry for confusion. I worked it out through a process of elimination (had just been friended, it followed almost immediately and LMHers are the only people I know who are aware enough to do it). AFAIK you cannot see who you have turned off!
tchn

Post by tchn »

marsh frog wrote:. My one big tip is to only like pages you are interested in or else it can get annoying constantly getting posts in your newsfeed you are not remotely interested in.
You can block the newsfeed with "Hide Posts from this Page" in the grey tab at the top right of a post. That way you still 'Like' them, but don't get the news. I don't know whether this 'negative feedback' affects SEO.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

More social media talk, goodie!

Thanks for identifying yourself tchn; always nice to know who you're talking to on your page!

I have just downloaded my insights for the first time and have gone cross eyed looking at all the numbers. I'm sure at some point I'll find some useful info in them though!

Using photos is an interesting one, but no point dwelling on past behaviour as fb is rolling out a new newsfeed as we speak. It started yesterday and will gradually appear for us all. It is splitting the feed including putting photos into their own feed I believe. Much will change as a result of this, because at present photos have a far lower reach than just a text status. Without photos you have an incredibly boring page though!

Having gone in for some serious liking sessions in the past, my newsfeed was unworkable with the sheer volume of posts, so I have changed tack completely and gone over to adding to lists. Now, when I like a page from my profile, I turn off show in news feed and put add to interest list. I have created many lists, which separate out all the types of pages, so I have holidays, hand made crafts, gifts, home décor, charities etc etc. That means I can go straight to a list in a more focused fashion. My main newsfeed is now back to my friends and little else.

From my business page, I now only like pages that are relevant to my business, that I may want to share from or that simply may inspire me - like some LMH pages for example! My page newsfeed is now more useful to me.

We definitely need a social media section now here, to group all these threads in, as it's a whole new sphere to our business. I will ask Paolo.
Last edited by Nemo on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Paolo has been very busy and look what we got folks? Our very own Social media section!

Thanks Paolo! :D
tavi

Post by tavi »

ooh cool! :D
booboo

Post by booboo »

:D Thank you Paolo!

And thank you tchn, I get so overwhelmed, I have only ever been a browser on the internet up until we started our holiday let just over a year ago. I feel like a young child trying to find my way round this big scary world of computers, programs and the World Wide Web, I haven't even looked at one of those tablet, iPhone or what ever it is they are or called!!
So every little bit of information in plain English really helps :D