Do you provide a washing machine? (UK property)

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
anya752000

Do you provide a washing machine? (UK property)

Post by anya752000 »

We are just completing the building work on our first holiday let in Wales. It's a 2 bed cottage and we don't have enough room to put both a dishwasher and a washing machine in the cottage.

I've therefore decided to put in a dishwasher and as we live on site offer guests use of our washing machine at a small charge.

I may be able to put a washing machine in an separate building later in the year.

What do people think am I making a mistake not offering a washing machine?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I was in the same position and went with a washing machine, but it was 50/50 split vote for wm versus dw. As you have the opportunity to offer a washing facility by being on site, I think you should go with a dishwasher.

I personally wouldn't charge for doing a wash for people, unless it's effectively a service wash and you give it back dry.
onestep

Post by onestep »

We do provide a washing machine (luckily we had room for both). We are in prime walking country, & figured that walking clothes get muddy! :D

In your position I'd go with the DW above the WM, but try & get the WM in somewhere ASAP. Another thing to bear in mind is how long your guests usually stay - if you're mainly short breaks then the need for the WM goes down.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

If you want to attract people with small children, then the WM is more important than a DW. We find people have washing on the line the day after they arrive! You also won't get any longer lets if you don't provide a WM. It obviously depends on what market you want to attract.
rosebud

washing machine

Post by rosebud »

I have a washing machine because it was already in the kitchen - and no dishwasher.

I have considered a worktop dishwasher. Any opinions on these?
clairelou65

Post by clairelou65 »

Could I add, we have a washing machine, inherited when we bought the property, we are considering a new kitchen and would like to add a dishwasher.
We would also like visit England stars and expect 4 stars without too much hassle, however since January they have added that ALL 4* properties MUST have access to a freezer, not just a 3* ice box in a fridge. This has caused me a nightmare as now its a washing machine or freezer!

We have again decided not to go for stars as we will not accept 3 stars when all we are missing for five stars is a freezer and dishwasher and pay nearly £300 for the privilege!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes clairelou65, it suggests a complete lack of understanding as usual of guest needs. Unless perhaps they are staying for a fortnight, a small freezer section is adequate for most people. A packet of chips and some frozen peas seems to be the most frequent items purchased and left behind at the end of my guests stay!

For so many holidays, eating out is part of the enjoyment of discovering a new place, but if they're planning to eat at home then it's the fridge capacity that is key not the freezer!

Going back to the washing machine question, I concur that the washing machine is very useful to many guests; mine are used reasonably frequently. Some guests do appear to bring their washing with them - perhaps don't have time before leaving for their holiday!

However, I still say that if in the not too distant future you can provide a washing machine in an outbuilding, then you can have both. If it was a clear cut choice of one or the other I would go washing machine. A dishwasher just elevates your property slightly more upmarket or gives you a selling point against some of your opposition perhaps?
clairelou65

Post by clairelou65 »

Nemo I fully agree, I just wanted to point out that if star ratings are important to a new holiday home owner they ought to find room for a freezer.
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

We are lucky & have both a DW & a WM but when I go away I always look for somewhere with a WM - a DW doesnt bother me, but I must have a WM [is it just me? lol :lol: ] So, if I had to choose only one I would personally go with the WM
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

We have both in our two bigger properties - but in our smallest one we only had room for a slimline dishwasher. However, we then had comments from guests who expected a wm - so managed to make room by taking out a kitchen unit, so now less storage space but room for both.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

Thanks for all of your responses. I'll admit I'm still feeling torn about what to do, though I have purchased the unit for a dishwasher we could still change for a washing machine. I'm finding the whole process quite stressful at the moment. It's really hard to make these type of decisions when I have no knowledge to base them on. I can imagine that we will make many mistakes!
Unibond3

Post by Unibond3 »

Just a thought: A challenge facing those trying to decide between a dishwasher or a washing machine is how do you fare when competing with local competitors offering both? In this circumstance, does it matter which one might be more preferable than another if you can enjoy both just down the road?
Rick Bond
If you build it (properly) - people will come.

<a href="http://www.myfavouriteholidaycottages.co.uk">My Favourite Holiday Cottages</a>
<a href="http://www.myholidaymarketing.co.uk">My Holiday Marketing</a>
Unibond3

Post by Unibond3 »

Just a thought: A challenge facing those trying to decide between a dishwasher or a washing machine is how do you fare when competing with local competitors offering both? In this circumstance, does it matter which one might be more preferable than another if you can enjoy both just down the road?

That being said, given the property is in Wales whee walking and the 'occasional' wet weather day is likely to create demand, I'd recommend Anya goes for a washing machine first as a 2-bedroom property isn't going to generate a mountain of dishes, but with a view to transferring it to the outbuilding and installing a dishwasher in the kitchen as soon as finances permit.
Rick Bond
If you build it (properly) - people will come.

<a href="http://www.myfavouriteholidaycottages.co.uk">My Favourite Holiday Cottages</a>
<a href="http://www.myholidaymarketing.co.uk">My Holiday Marketing</a>
tchn

Post by tchn »

We are in the Lake District so went for the whole package, utility room with washing machine, dryer and drying rack. It is just another way of standing out from the competition. We don't live on site so can't offer our own machine. I now when I book a wm makes a difference. We also have a dw but in a walking area a wm would be more attractive to me.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

The problem is we definitely won't be able to fit both DW and WM in the kitchen. We are planning 3/4 cottages in our conversion so have thought about using some space for an onsite laundry room that we can use for the linens and that guests will also have access to.

I agree that a WM is a necessity in wet Wales, we are on the coastal path so hoping to attract lots of walkers.

Has anyone else got a shared laundry?

Do you think that people would be happy sharing it with 2/3 other cottages?