Boring photos zzzzz.

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Gwion

Boring photos zzzzz.

Post by Gwion »

I'm bored, bored, bored of my own photos. I always do the same thing. Squeeze myself into the corner of a room, wide angle lens, lighting, get my verticals right and click! God it's boring.

So a question to the Lay My Hat Nation. What can I do to change things up a bit? Any ideas, anybody got any cool photos? Links would be great.

I need some inspiration, quick!
Self Catering Accommodation
http://dioni.co.uk
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Personally I like the 'close up' type of photo, usually of something that highlights something you want to sell...so cosy atmosphere; blazing fire with a bottle of wine & a couple of glasses.

I like this site which gave me inspiration with some of it's photos: https://www.10georgestreet.com/

I'm trying to do more like that on my new web site...but it needs a good photographer.
Talking of which hopefully Jimbo will pop along and give his much valued tips...or search the site, it's something we've talked endlessly about :lol:

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I had much the same thought after cramming self and tripod into a corner following some re-design of a bedroom, then thought I'd have a bit of fun and something caught my eye in a bathroom. I haven't got around to putting it on our website yet, but I think I might give it a whirl. I definitely need some more ideas though!

Mouse

Post by Mouse »

That's the type of thing GB. I'd go a bit closer in....I think the modern style is to forget about the usual boundaries and not feel you have to have everything in shot.

Love the duck...been meaning for years to get some for the villa as a gift-away but what put me off was I'd probably have to put one in each bathroom...so it adds up. Might get a few for the pool though and stick a curtain ring in their head...remember 'hook-a-duck?'
Sorry...thread creep (I'll get me coat :oops: )

Mousie
x
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Mouse wrote:I like this site which gave me inspiration with some of it's photos: https://www.10georgestreet.com/
https://www.10georgestreet.com/interior ... er_bedroom
Maybe not this (you can see the photographer in the doorknob) :D
(sorry I don't know yet how to place pictures on the posts)[/img]
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Nice shot GB. Just straighten up the bottles please so I can read the labels properly. Cute bathing partner you have. :lol:
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Tizfata wrote:
Mouse wrote:I like this site which gave me inspiration with some of it's photos: https://www.10georgestreet.com/
https://www.10georgestreet.com/interior ... er_bedroom
Maybe not this (you can see the photographer in the doorknob) :D
(sorry I don't know yet how to place pictures on the posts)[/img]
And in the window in lounge shot!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Thinking the same myself, but with a small apartment I am quite limited in what I do. I'm there now, but managed to leave my good camera and tripod behind :oops:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Think about what people will want Helen....so maybe coming home to a lovely warming casserole? Take a good food shot and mention the kitchen.

I've just attempted prawns in a cazuela

Mousie
x
paolo

Post by paolo »

There are two schools of thought on this - do you show impressionistic images that sell the dream, or do you show as clearly as you can what a house is like?

Personally I would rather see what the bathroom looks like than a plastic duck. I would prefer to see the whole bedroom than a sprig of lavender on a pillow.

But I know others who completely disagree. You could of course blend the two.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

paolo wrote:
Personally I would rather see what the bathroom looks like than a plastic duck.
I'm with you on that one - in fact I couldn't even prove that the photo of the plastic duck was taken in a bathroom, let alone how big the bathroom is, or whether I'd bang my head on the ceiling while trying to use the toilet.

I want to see photos that show me the rooms; I accept they're likely to be distorted by w/a lenses, but that's unavoidable. In many cases I probably want a couple of shots from different points in the room to give me a fuller perspective. That's what I try and provide as priority, after all, I'm selling rooms not plastic ducks.

But - in addition to the room layout shots, the details stuff conveys a different message and is targeting the heart more than the head - and maybe providing the sort of image that a potential guest will remember as a bit different: "Let's book the one with the picture of the slippers in front of the fire" or something.

So my questions are - can you have too many "clever" photos in addition to a portfolio covering all the rooms? Do you mix the two types of shot together, and which type of shot is more useful as an attention grabbing headline?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

You could of course blend the two
that is always the case IME.

I agree GB...the 'close up' shots should grab people emotionally and that's what they'll remember after the practicalities.
It's no different in text...you highlight the features or ambience you want to sell the dream.
I did a close up of the soap I provide because it's handmade, organic soap, beautifully packaged and a bit different from standard stuff others supply...this, I hope, says I'm trying to provide quality and style. A large shot of the bathroom wouldn't have the same impact.

To answer your questions; I would say a blend of the two styles is good...but I would feature with an 'emotional' photo. e.g. the glass of wine, bath tub and candlelight if I thought my place was cozy or romantic. It's a direct hit IMO...after that potential guests then look for the practicalities (or maybe not!)

Mouse
x
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

The close up shots don't have to be the same size as room shots. They can be small filler images within a website, or you could create a mixture of shots ( I don't know what the actual term is) where you have one large shot of a room with smaller ones featuring details within the room, around the edges for example?
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I cut my photographic teeth on the concept of assembling the ‘3-picture story’ – long-range, middle distance and close-up images from each shoot. Such an approach tests your ability to react to your subject matter and adds pace and excitement to the mix. Those are your building blocks. After that, much is down to personal vision – how you react to and use colour, lighting, space, objects, people, props and the like. But, in the search for ‘something different’, don’t automatically reject the seemingly mundane (but highly useful) descriptive shots – those trusty stalwarts can do an excellent job within the context of your site.

If you’re really feeling bored with your output, I can suggest no better website to study and gain inspiration from than that of the owner who responded most quickly to your post. Since I’ve been on this forum, I’ve long admired her elegant photographic compositions, intriguing close-ups and instinctive use of colour and space. Pictures that leave a little room for the viewer’s imagination to join the party.

Mouse. Nobody does it better.
Jim
Gwion

Post by Gwion »

Great conversation. Thanks for all the tips.
Love the duck
Love Mousie's images (and the captions)
Love the '3-picture story' approach (new to me)
Love that other people forget their tripod at home.

I agree with Paolo that a mix of images is probably the way to go. I think there are 3 types of image which need to follow the customers though process.
1. Impact shot. Your main image which appears on listing sites etc. You only get one chance at this. V. important.
2. 'Sell the dream' Arty shots that persuades the customer to read on a little more.
3. Information. Room shots that persuades the customer he hasn't made the wrong choice.

Here's another one for the mix. Instagram? I love it and hate it at the same time. I love it as the images are cool and I'm not a photographic snob. I hate it because my eight year old daughter often takes better images than me. Anybody brave enough to put them on their website?
Self Catering Accommodation
http://dioni.co.uk