Interesting Site...Opinions??

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

If, from the first moment, they are honest and open about whom they are, why they are here and if what they have to say is of some relevance I am prepared to listen to them.
Alan, I'm totally of the same mind. If I was going to Street Team for my musician friend I'd just say "Hey, my friend has a new CD you might like to listen to" and be up front. I'm sticking to clothes hangers....
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

For anyone else wondering..

pwnd

An internet chat language variety/version of the word "owned", used in the sence of beating/defeating/outclassing someone. Usually used in games such as Counter-strike or on messageboards when a user posts arguments or insults that can't possibly be counter-argued.

Arguably considered so-called "l33t-speak - (? Sue)
TravelPixel

Post by TravelPixel »

ah thanks sue, thats kept the RSI away for a few months more.

:D :D
petehols

Post by petehols »

uote:
So obviously I emailed my customers to let them know about this offer that is probably why you will see some villas on their site that is on mine aswell.

Not "some" villas but them all. The 2 Bulgarian villas just happen to be on your other site http://www.holidaystobulgaria.co m/(space left to prevent live link)
5 out of 5! Uncanny!

Quote:
As far as I gathered they are getting some serious traffic as everytime I am on the site there is always visitors there.

And yet, the only villas on the site are on yours!

Quote:
Secondly you have just proved that thetonman is not me as I am not in Australia.

But you will admit to using an Australian IP address in the past? And do you not have a link on your site to www.australia.world-guides.co m? (space left again) Uncanny!

Come on, Pete, we´re not daft. The evidence is there for all to see. All 5 villas on this new site are advertised on your own sites. You´ve posted on another forum from an Australian IP address and you have a link on your website to an Australian site. On that same forum, the owner of this new auction site posted from an Australian IP address.

You´ve been rumbled. Own up!
Okay so let me get this right. If i have a link on my site to another site I must be affiliated with them?? If you actually look at world-guides.co m then you will see that i don't own that site. Also if my customers choose to advertise on other new sites then I must own them too?? I can see the thinking on this???? I think Oskar you have been watching too many consiracy movies. At the end of the day if you look up www.whois.cc ( oops maybe I shouldn't have posted that as people might think i own the whois databse ) you will see that i do not own this site!!!! that is fact and that is all there is too it.

I am disappointed that you think i would try to deceive this board as I have been a contributing member for a long time and have given advice freely and helped on a project through this site as well.

Oskar if there is something you have against me then please let me know as I don't think there can be anything else other than a vendetta going on here.

Pete
for worldwide holidays try www.lastminutevillaholiday.co.uk
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I don’t see why somebody who doesn’t own a property at all can’t have something valuable to say.

I don’t see why somebody who owns more than one property can’t have something valuable to say.

I don’t see why somebody who runs properties for other people can’t have something valuable to say.

I don’t see why somebody who runs a Rental Site can’t have something valuable to say.

If people are honest about who they are and what they are I welcome them and I listen to what they have to say, so long as it is relevant to the discussion.

I don’t understand what’s difficult about any of this. I am capable of making a choice and if a posting or a person is not relevant I ignore it or them.

Alan
petehols

Post by petehols »

Hi Alan

Thank you a bit of non paranoid normal discussion. All I was doing was asking peoples opinions nothing more. I have always been honest and upfront on this board and I don't see why one person should change this.

In the future I am not going to post any websites n this board whether I think it would be beneficial to anyone I think I would rather keep it to myself I will make use of it and not share anything at all.

That should keep the paranoid androids from trying to flame anyone on this board but a word of warning for other posters....
If you see a website you think could be useful do not post it on any forums keep it to yourself and tell people you know that way you will be spared any public humiliation or defamatin of character.

This will be my last word on this matter.

Thanks

Pete
for worldwide holidays try www.lastminutevillaholiday.co.uk
oskar

Post by oskar »

Oskar if there is something you have against me then please let me know as I don't think there can be anything else other than a vendetta going on here.
There is no vendetta going on here. As a Moderator for one of the largest holiday forums on the internet, I simply do my job of trying to weed out the fake posters like yourself from those seeking genuine help and advice. Such people whose only aim is to promote their business, take up a considerable amount of my time to investigate, which I freely give, so you can maybe understand why they cause me annoyance. As another member has said on this thread...........

"I have the strongest possible objections to people who think this is simply a place sell their product."

The facts are that you came onto the other forum where you were registered as Petehols and which I moderate, under the guise of "expatinbulgar" to promote your website design business. You were banned from the forum by the Administrator, and you have admitted this above. However, far from ........

"I made the mistake once and yes I did get banned but from then I have never advertised on a forum again."

you have since registered again at that forum as "thetonman" promoting your new auction site. This new user has also been banned from the forum yesterday by the Administrator, and all their posts removed.

In case you again wish to refute the claim, having admitted yourself above that "Petehols" and "expatinbulgar" are the same person, perhaps you can explain this post............

http://www.mybulgaria.info/bulgaria/tra ... c&p=117200

I have other evidence I´ve found during my moderation duties for the other forum which I can present linking you to the auction site, but in view of the Bulgaria forum post above, I´ll rest my case.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Poor old "Pete".

I need enlightening about forum rules. As I understand things:

Self promotion is frowned on.

Promoting a business is very frowned on.

Promoting one's own rental listing site is going to result in being shot at dawn.

An innocent question:

Those signature links at the end of many posts - how are they considered? Is there just the faintest whisp of hypocrisy in the air? Especially if I knew how to spell it.

Goat
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Mon May 01, 2006 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
oskar

Post by oskar »

On internet forums, there´s a clear distinction between posing as another user or puting on a bogus post, both with the intention of deception, to promote your own business, and openly displaying a link to your website in a signature, which is allowed on most forums.

To put on a post which says........

"I got approached by this company to advertise on their site and thought it could be a bit beneficial for all owners and holidaymakers. Have a look at them holidaysauction.com
It is a completely different concept to the standard form of advertising. I registered on their site but haven't done anything about it yet. It is a very low set up fee and am thinking it could be quite handy. As far as I gathered they are getting some serious traffic as everytime I am on the site there is always visitors there. I thought I would let the group decide what they thought of the idea just now I am swaying in their favour as I think it has potential."

when the poster is associated with that website, is deception.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oskar
Certainly the bogus posters are not playing cricket, I can see that, but there seems to be a bit of a grey area with how Paolo's forum rules, carved in stone (14sept04 Forum sticky) are interpreted:

2. No advertising please. Any posts that advertise a product or service with which you are associated may be removed. You may post clickable links if you are a known, active forum member, where appropriate to the topic, but not for self-promotion. If I think you are only posting to get some traffic to your site, I will delete your posts at my discretion.

and

5. Signatures. If you are linking to a commercial site (i.e. not a personal website for your property), you may not add explanatory text relating to that website in your signature.

Personally, I think I've got a nerve coming up with this, having only been on the forum for such a short time, and although I can see "Pete" should be blasted away with pixels (no doubt to return under another disguise), I do feel that Moderators tread a difficult path, to say the least, even with established forum members, and themselves.

Couldn't we have a Forum Section (enter at your own risk, wealth warning etc.):

Blatant Commercial Plugs and Dodgy Links ?

We would then know where we were with this lot rather than have to root around their WHOIS entries to see if their latest domain has been registered in their granny's name and use other exotic skills? And it could be quite entertaining to dip into it occasionally.

To be honest the more upfront pluggers on this forum have had some seriously useful sites and ideas, and add to the whole cut and thrust of information exchange.

Goat
paolo

Post by paolo »

I find the forum rules pretty straightforward, but that is probably because I wrote them. I don't see a contradiction in the two quoted above, please explain if you do.

There are plenty of people who are here to drive traffic to their sites, but as long as they provide input that may be useful to owners here, I will allow them to post. Think of their signatures as being the ad that pays for their content.

What petehols has done here is totally unacceptable and will probably result in him being banned.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Goat,

For me it’s the contribution that counts.

I think we all benefit from a wide range of people being here so long as they are open about who they are and make positive contributions to the discussions.

I don’t want people who are only here to sell their products, openly or not.

Alan