Aluminium & mesh sunloungers

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Mouse

Aluminium & mesh sunloungers

Post by Mouse »

I'm thinking of replacing my wooden loungers + mattresses with aluminium ones. My whole reason for doing this is that I understand they're maintenance free and easy to clean (I want grey or a dark colour)

Can anyone reassure me that's the case...and also if they put up with the usual wear and tear from guests.

They're quite a lot of money so I want to be sure it's worthwhile. If anyone in Spain-world has bought them at a good price could they let me know...here they cost a fortune!

gracias!
Mousie (who never wants to scrub another lounger mattress in 40 degree heat again!)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I'm afraid the news is not good, Mousie!

We have them at home. They are three years old and the paint on the aluminium is already faded and looks tired. Worse, they are not sunscreen-friendly and the fabric gets STAINED. On top of that you still need cushions because they are not comfortable and if you don't put cushions they get even more stained. Plus the sun is merciless with the fabric and the stitching which means that it starts to split at the seams and there is no remedy.

We were glad that we tried them out first at home/B&B as we were thinking of them for rental. Now I wouldn't dream of it. Our plastic ones last about three to four years as we put them away religiously when not in use and they always have cushions when they are being used. They cost about €40 - half the price of the aluminium ones. The metal ones which are not aluminium last no time before they rust although they are cheaper. But the stitching and fabric have exactly the same problem.

I have washable removable covers for the cushions - a complete spare set - and they can all go in the wash between lets if required.

Sorry to be negative but wanted to spare you the expense :roll: :roll:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Sorry to be negative but wanted to spare you the expense
Not at all Peps...I need honesty. :lol: They're on average about €140+ here and so it would cost a small fortune and be a BIG mistake if they had to be replaced again. I also wanted them to be mattressless. :(

I can't lie...I have a sad little face. I hate scrubbing the mattresses every changeover, but they and the wooden loungers are practically indistructable.

weeping mousie
x
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Can't you make removable covers for the mattresses?
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

Mouse

Post by Mouse »

They have them Peps. They're made from plasticised material (if you know what I mean) and quite thick.
It's a nightmare to get them off, so I only do that at season end when storing away.
I got that style a) to encourage people to use the pool towel (as they're sweaty to lie on without) and b) they were easily wipeable.
However they get filthy with dirty feet marks, sun lotion stains, crayon (!), felt pen (!) etc etc. So each changeover they need bleaching.

What material are your covers? I did once think about getting some elasticated ones made but it would have to be dark material to cope with the stains...and then it would probably bleach in the sun :roll:

Mouse
x
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

My present ones are made from curtains which I had had enough of!!! They were from a room with yards and yards of window and I couldn't bring myself to throw them away!ç
However they have a print on them and are fading. Next year I will replace them with durable plain cream fabric from the market - about €8 per metre (280cm wide). It does fade but that doesn't matter as they all fade equally and they wash brilliantly. I have them on some of my cushions at home and I use the same stuff for curtain lining for heavy curtains.

Marks

Post by Marks »

I use this type, 90 Euros each 4 years ago and still going strong:

www.swimming-pool-online.com/sun-loungers.html

The colour has faded slightly otherwise no problem. Occasionally they need power washing and if the white plastic starts to mottle or get black mold type spots I spray lightly with neat bleach and then wash off.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I like the look of this type too Marks but don't you find you still need cushions? We have friends who have them and I find them uncomfortable.

Marks

Post by Marks »

Don't have cushions and have had no complaints, a couple of positive comments about them being comfortable. There are cheaper ones from the Chinese shops around 65/75 Euros but worth spending more from Leroy Merlin etc.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I would never have anything but alu mesh now. I don't need cushions, they don't need treating, just a power wash at the start of the season. I would always go for a dark colour.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

LV...are they the cream ones on your photos?

Mousie
x
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

la vache! wrote:I would never have anything but alu mesh now. I don't need cushions, they don't need treating, just a power wash at the start of the season. I would always go for a dark colour.
I think that the sun in the south would do more damage than up your way LV.

The ones that Marks uses are less likely to suffer from the deterioration of the alu paintwork and I think the actual mesh is hardier too.