Rewritten web site

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
nichthewood

Rewritten web site

Post by nichthewood »

My better half has just finished our new web site. Any comments would be great fully received.
Many thanks
www.howittgites.com
Circé

Post by Circé »

Clear site but to my mind lacks one vital piece of information: a plan of the property showing the juxtaposition of the 2 letting units, and yours too if you live there, with shared and private areas clearly defined. I wouldn't book part of a shared place without one.
Your Ts & Cs say "We can not accept pets". My dictionary says 'Both the one-word form cannot and the two-word form can not are acceptable, but cannot is far more common in all contexts. Indeed, can not has come to be so unusual that it may be read as an error.'
Either way, I suggest the simple 'we do not accept pets'. Straightforward, no arguments.
Roz

Post by Roz »

Well done to your better half! This is a really nice site - very clear and informative and the properties look very nice.

Just a few minor thoughts on a first look -

Do you have a sunnier photo for the main photo on the homepage? I got a lovely bright sunflower image in the header and then the property looked a little dull.

The urls (permalinks) are the default wordpress ones which don't mean anything. I would suggest from a clarity and SEO perspective that you change them to the page name. You can go into "Settings" "Permalinks" and change it there.

Under "Location" I'd like a map, so I can see where you are. Could you maybe embed google maps?

Under "Contact Us" I'd like to see your names.

These are fairly minor points though. Overall I think it is very nicely done, and can see a lot of work has gone into it.

Roz
www.pendletoncottage.co.uk
Roz

Post by Roz »

Sorry, just to clarify on the urls, going into Settings - Permalinks will change the default for new ones. To change the urls for existing pages, you need to edit the actual page. I'm sure your other half will work it out!

I've also noticed something which I struggled with on my website. Where you have a drop-down list of sub-pages (for yours I think it is only relevant for "holiday extras") people seem to struggle with whether the main page is clickable or not. Wordpress defaults to it being clickable but people often assume it isn't, and miss the content of that main page. If that content is important, you might want to do it as a subpage and make the main page non-clickable. Let me know if you want more info on how to do this.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

A really small thing, but it irks me:

There is really no need to display your URL (Howittgites.com) in the banner heading.

Its just techno-clutter and its visible in the browser address bar if anyone wants it.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Crossways

Post by Crossways »

Your website is really easy to use. I could find all the information without having to look to hard. Well done.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Nice website - just a google map would be helpful for those who don't know France very well.
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Roz wrote:
I've also noticed something which I struggled with on my website. Where you have a drop-down list of sub-pages (for yours I think it is only relevant for "holiday extras") people seem to struggle with whether the main page is clickable or not. Wordpress defaults to it being clickable but people often assume it isn't, and miss the content of that main page. If that content is important, you might want to do it as a subpage and make the main page non-clickable. Let me know if you want more info on how to do this.
Hi Roz, I'd appreciate knowing how to make the main page non-clickable. At the moment on my site I have copied the content of the first sub-page to the main page, but suspect this may harm SEO as it's effectively duplicate content.
Open for business.
Roz

Post by Roz »

Hi Dave,

The way I prevented the main page being clickable was to use a PlugIn called "Page Links To" (I'm assuming you're using Wordpress?) Once you've activated that Plug-in, when you edit the page, a "Page Links To" box appears at the bottom of the page. It gives you the options to "Point this content to:

Its normal WordPress URL

An alternate URL"

If you say an alternate URL and then put a hash (#) in the url box, it makes the page unclickable. Don't ask me why but it works!

Hope this makes sense!
Roz
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Thanks Roz,
Yes, I'm a fellow Wordpress user.
I'll give that a go. My first (big?) job is to set up a local development environment on my PC to try stuff like this out, then I'll give it a go...
Open for business.
nichthewood

Post by nichthewood »

Many thanks for you comments.
Very helpful. Cheers for now.
Roz

Post by Roz »

Hi Dave, yes I tried to set up a local version but gave up! I think the problem was that my geek OH did it (thinking it was simple) and set it up with a system which turned out to be incompatible with my webhost. So that's worth looking out for.

I've ended up doing everything live which is not ideal (especially when my attempts to install OS maps broke it - now that was a nightmare job!) Also I haven't done a child theme which I know you should do...

Good luck with it anyway!
Roz
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Nice property - I second a map since it's multi-unit and a sunnier photo in the #2 position. (2nd photo from the top)
When I click on your photos to enlarge them I'd like to scroll to other photos (enlarged) but instead I have to hit the browsers back button.

to be picky -I don't love all the terms and conditions right on your website. I'd send most of that info along with the booking form when guests are ready to book - not put it on my website. (just brief deposit information and how/when they can pay on the website and the rest in the booking agreement itself).