FDF Link won't open

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Hells Bells

FDF Link won't open

Post by Hells Bells »

I have an email with a link to an fdf file which won't open in browser. I've tried Chrome, Firefox and IE 9. I've tried adjusting setting to open Adobe reader but nothing happens, page opens in browser with a load of gobbledegook.
Using Winodws 8, but I've also tried it in Windows 7 and on Android without success.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Do you really want to open it?

I found one reference using google that the format is popular with email scammers.

Another reference stated this:
From Adobe:

An FDF file contains the filename and location of the PDF form from which the form data in that particular FDF file was exported. Adobe Acrobat (and any PDF-viewing/editing application that supports PDF forms) relies on that filename and location in order to retrieve and open the appropriate PDF form when opening an FDF file. In other words: when opening an FDF file, a PDF viewing/editing application assumes that the PDF form from which the form data was exported is available at the specified location.
so it looks like you need to already have the form the data is from?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Dotty. I do want to open it, it definitely isn't a scam, it's a genuine email. It has some important information on it that I need. I must have opened it last year, as it's a form I needed to print off and sign.
I was hoping I could do this before the weekend was over, but it looks like I will have to leave it until Monday.
pandaburgh

Post by pandaburgh »

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/18 ... 0&tstart=0

There are a few tips you could try on this link, Helen. Hope something works for you!
It's life Jim, but not as we know it
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Didn't manage to fix it, so I had to wait to get the pdf version by email.