Travel cot disclaimer?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
LeanneA

Travel cot disclaimer?

Post by LeanneA »

My agents have suggested I get a travel cot for my property, which accomodates 2 adults, but obviously this will allow a baby up to 18 months or so aswell, and hopefully add to booking potential.

I have picked up an "as new" one from friend of friend, complete with instructions and checked it over to make sure everything working and it erects safely, catches all lock etc. However, I am not comfortable with putting it up myself, if a booking requests it, and would rather leave it folded with the instructions available and put a disclaimer in my Property Manual, stating that "adults are responsible for the erection and use of the cot in accordance with manufacturer's instructions, and I am not liable for any injury caused by misuse of the cot". Am I being too paranoid here? Would this statement hold any weight should an infant be injured due to the cot failing in some way? I am obviously getting insurance cover, but wonder what views others have on the legalities of this situation?

Thanks
Essar

Post by Essar »

I provide a travel cot too, however, I think it's important that it is erected ready for use. That way there can be no mistakes and a possible claim -leaving it to the guest is to risky.

I don't believe a disclaimer makes any difference as you could prohibit all responsibility for all items in your property. As along as all your furniture, electrical goods and all other fixtures & fittings are well maintained, in good working order and comply with legislation then you can do no more.

However, I do not provide bedding for the travel cot I insist that the adults bring their own - a baby/tot needs it's own bedding, it has it's own smells and textures. You should also ensure that the travel cot is cleaned with a anti-bacterial cleaner before each use.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I agree with Essar, not only for the reasons stated but also because it is quite easy to break the assembly mechanism if someone is not familiar with them :roll:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

That's pretty much all the reasons why we don't provide a cot or travel cot - although the key one is hygiene. Guests bring their own, which works fine for guests coming by car from within the UK. If it was a major part of our market, we might have a rethink, but my feeling is that parents will have a travel cot and prefer to use their own anyway.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Greenbarn wrote:my feeling is that parents will have a travel cot and prefer to use their own anyway.
I am sure that's true GB and if everyone arrived by car we would probably not offer them but as all our UK guests and a number of the northern continental ones arrive courtesy of EasyJet and Ryanair (and as families are our biggest group of guests) we don't have much choice.

It's pretty easy to clean them well as there is no fabric involved other than plasticy stuff
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Marks

Post by Marks »

I no longer supply a travel cot for those very reasons. If guests need one I hire one for them (at their cost) from a local legal and insured company who deliver, construct and collect on departure.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

This year we purchased a travel cot & high chair, i put a clause in the T&Cs that both had to be left in a clean, hygienic condition(ever hopeful!) or an extra cleaning charge would be deducted from the security deposit.

However, not one booking this year wants to use them!!
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

We use a small local company to do our changeovers and from the outset they said they were not allowed to erect travel cots. They look after a lot of the holiday homes in our area and it has something to do with their insurance in case it is erected incorrectly by them. Therefore, we leave the travel cot unassembled with instructions and never had a problem
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
LeanneA

Post by LeanneA »

Thanks for replies, a variety of opinions there!

I too thought the provision of a cot was actually a waste, as being a parent I would always have preferred to use my own, but as my property is lacking in a few other things that agent assured me are "desirable" these days, I went along with the cot suggestion as it was a quick and relatively cheap addition. TBH, the property does not have enough room in the bedroom for the cot to be erected alongside the bed, so it would have to go in the main living room next door, and leaving it folded means they don't walk in to a cot "in their faces" as soon as they enter the property. They can decide where to put it once they arrive - it has wheels and also serves as a playpen without the mattress and a changing mat goes on top, so it might save guests changing baby on the bed and risking "accidents" on the bedding!

I will check with our agents whether their policy is to erect it or leave folded, but I still feel it is best for the parents to put it up themselves, as onus is them on them to check it and not just assume its OK to use straight away. I appreciate I cannot totally absolve my responsibility with a short one line clause in the information book.

Thanks for all advice.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

We provide a basic travel cot and assemble it as it can be tricky to get the sides to "click" into place.
We did stay somewhere where the management said they were not allowed to erect and it being a heavy cot and difficult to put up, and having a bad back, I was not best pleased to say the least.
If you put up the cot yourself lots of times and know how to do it, it seems absurd to insist that the customer who has no experience at all, should have to erect it for "insurance reasons". Besides which, what are you going to do if they phone to say they are having difficulty putting it up, and little Samuel is desperate to go down?
Happylady

Post by Happylady »

For this reason we don't provide one and guests have to,bring their own. No one has asked for one for bookings which we have this year. Last year we had a couple of queries but parents were happy to bring their own.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

If you want to advertise "Family's welcome" as part of VisitEngland's scheme, you have to provide high chair & cot. People coming by plane cannot be expected to bring a cot with them.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Agree with all the positives responses for having them.

We have one highchair and one travel cot for both properties, so far we haven't had a clash of requirements - we provide them free of charge and have 4 bookings this year for them.

We also have a picture of each on our photo gallery and HA/HL so holidaymakers know the type and size they are going to get.

We have had them from the start when our agent advised us to get them, we are now VisitEngland accredited and it is requirement that we have them - at the last inspection they were asked for and checked to be in good working order.

Parents with cars are also grateful not to have to bring their own - if you see the packing in some of the cars with families even for short breaks you'd understand how this saving can make a difference to them. Never had them left in a mess either.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Essar wrote:we are now VisitEngland accredited and it is requirement that we have them - at the last inspection they were asked for and checked to be in good working order.
Presumably that only applies if you decide to cough up even more dosh and join VE's Families Welcome scheme. A cot isn't a requirement for a star rating.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

The same argument about injury to self could be applied to sun loungers, umbrella's, BBQs, swimming in the pool, having a shower or bath .... Where do you stop?

I provide both a high chair and travel cot. People with a baby who have arrived by plane have greatly appreciated it.