Travel cot disclaimer?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

We are just starting out, not yet open for business but I am planning to provide a proper cot rather than a travel cot. Suppose it's a personal thing but when my son was little he never slept well in a travel cot, and if they don't sleep well then neither do you!

Haven't yet decided whether to buy an inexpensive cot that would need to be assembled if required or spend a bit more on a foldable one that can be left in the apartment.

As a renter I would prefer any cot to be already put up, as other people have mentioned the cots are all different and having to figure out how to put it up after a long drive and with a tired baby is not necessarily the best start to the holiday.
onestep

Post by onestep »

anya752000 wrote:We are just starting out, not yet open for business but I am planning to provide a proper cot rather than a travel cot. <snip>
As a renter I would prefer any cot to be already put up, as other people have mentioned the cots are all different and having to figure out how to put it up after a long drive and with a tired baby is not necessarily the best start to the holiday.
What about the advice to parents to never use a second hand mattress in a cot? All a bit of a minefield..
However I do think a travel cot is a good idea - although we do not provide one, & have never been asked to - and for what it's worth I'd assemble it prior to the guests' arrival.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

onestep wrote:
What about the advice to parents to never use a second hand mattress in a cot? All a bit of a minefield..
However I do think a travel cot is a good idea - although we do not provide one, & have never been asked to - and for what it's worth I'd assemble it prior to the guests' arrival.
I've had a quick internet search but apart from an online Daily Mail article (which we all know must be true!) I can't see a recommendation not to reuse cot mattresses in fact the article I read also includes the following:

"The Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths advises that it does not matter what kind of cot mattress is used, or whether it is new, as long as it is clean, firm, does not sag and shows no signs of deterioration."

Basic cot mattresses are not expensive and I would replace yearly or before if needed. I've got another 4 weeks or so before I'll be furnishing my apartment so will have to do a bit more research.

Jen
onestep

Post by onestep »

http://www.nct.org.uk/parenting/sleeping-safely-cot

^ is the link I was looking at. FWIW, I think a clean second hand one would suit most parents. Good luck with whatever you decide!