A delicate subject - those sheets again.....

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Joanna wrote:(off-topic)

If you think I'm crazy, ask a doctor.

(/off-topic)
In UK, there has been concern from the medical profession that the increasing number of allergies nowadays are caused by obsessive cleanliness. The theory goes that your defence systems need to be given something to work at when you are young, otherwise they never develop fully.

My mother worked on the theory that "you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die". I was never quite sure how much a peck was, but many pounds. I tread the middle way these days - if Jane gets to the fruit first, it gets washed. Otherwise, I don't worry when the picker last washed their hands and, so far, it doesn't seem to be doing me any harm.

Still, I commute into London on a motorbike, so what do I know about risk-taking!

The glorious thing about life is that we are all different.

John
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

[/quote]
In UK, there has been concern from the medical profession that the increasing number of allergies nowadays are caused by obsessive cleanliness. The theory goes that your defence systems need to be given something to work at when you are young, otherwise they never develop fully.
John[/quote]

No wonder my family are so healthy then :!:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

While reading Joanna's posting about "I wash everything" I felt an outburst coming on. I suppressed my natural inclination and decided to ask some questions instead.

How is it I have lived for 70 years (it is my birthday on Thursday) without one single life threatening food related problem?

How is that my “hermetically sealed� friends have constant diet related health problems and I am relatively free from them?

I think I know the answer. There are good bacteria and there are bad bacteria but if you are bacteria free you are in real trouble. Your immune system has to be introduced to the things it is supposed to fight against. If it hasn’t met any of the nasties it doesn’t know what to do when it does meet them. That’s the way that immunisation and inoculation works.

Alan
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Maybe your guest has some kind of embarrassing problem which causes stains and he'd rather wash them himself? The mind boggles, but it's a possibility.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Alan Knighting wrote:Your immune system has to be introduced to the things it is supposed to fight against. If it hasn’t met any of the nasties it doesn’t know what to do when it does meet them. That’s the way that immunisation and inoculation works.
I agree with you and as a child was sent to play with whoever had mumps and measles, resulting in an excellent immune system. I did the same with my daughter and resisted most immunizations for her except when forced. I believe there is a direct connection between temerasol (sp?) that is a mercury like poison in vaccinations and the growing incidence of autism. In America unfortunately, immunization is not a choice if you want your child to got to school, both private and state run schools. Otherwise the child must be home schooled.

Having said that, I'll pass on catching TB or dysentry thank you.

Allergies...hmmm.. now there's a huge off-topic topic. Nowadays many allergies are food orientated and genetically modified foods are a major factor. Food is not the same as it was when we were growing up Alan, it's nutritionally different, genetically different.

Back on topic, the only thing I think you get from not washing your bedsheets is a smelly bedroom isn't it?

Anyway Alan, please don't have an outburst on my behalf, I would hate to raise your blood pressure just before your 70th on Thursday. Congratulations and I hope you're doing going to treat yourself to something nice!!!!
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

To get back to the original thread and at the risk of upsetting someone, I feel the need to get this off my chest:

Here's a guest who is "paying a good rate" is also one of those sort after, long term rentals, isn't he entitled to his privacy?

He could be doing alot worse than not washing his bedlinen!

Throw the sheets away after his departure if you must but let's not forget that we need Guests at least as much as they need us and we're here to offer a service not to question their lifestyle!!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna,

You and I have had our differences and I am sure we will continue to do so. What we’re not going to do is get excited about it.

For me birthdays are just numbers. I’ll order my motorised Zimmer frame at a later date. In the meantime I’ll enjoy Thursday, not for the occasion but for what happens on the day.

I might consume lots of food that’s banned in the USA. I might survive it but I will enjoy it.

Alan
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I'd have thought that as he's not been identified in any way, he still retains his privacy.
I think that what we are doing could be considered as "gossip" more than an invasion of privacy. I can quite see why you are unhappy about it and my Granny always told me it's unkind to gossip, but it is good fun. I don't think anyone intends to be malicious.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

LaLuz,

Do we judge our guests by how frequently they change their bed linen? I suspect you don’t and I know I don’t.

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

No time to post tonight, I've got a load of fruit and veg. in the dishwasher.

Goat
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

LaLuz wrote:To get back to the original thread and at the risk of upsetting someone, I feel the need to get this off my chest:

Here's a guest who is "paying a good rate" is also one of those sort after, long term rentals, isn't he entitled to his privacy?
I think you're absolutely right. I have perhaps learned why it's happening, and Mrs Goat is giving me strange looks as I scrub the strawberries with Fairy Liquid yet again (dishwasher didn't work by the way). Fairy's far better.

Actually I would prefer to get rid of this thread. How do I delete the post? If I cancel the original post, do the rest of you all disappear or do you hang in limbo?

Goat
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

We all disappear into cyber-land. Mind you that might be much better than a wet Bank Holiday Monday in the UK :lol:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Well, OK, just before we pull the plug on this thread, isn't there a way of password-protecting part of LMH?

I've noticed that our content is spidered by Google about 4-7 days after it appears, and we're totally exposed to a few billion out there, and I feel that we could be even more frank in some of our discussions if at least one section could be protected by a simple password access. Also I'm curious about how long content stays with Google. Is it there 'forever'?

What about LMH user-groups? That might have some password access. No-one seems to use that and it's part of the forum software.

I feel a bit exposed as LMH is not exactly knee-deep in Swiss owners or owners in Switzerland.

Goat
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Mon May 01, 2006 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

LaLuz wrote:We all disappear into cyber-land. Mind you that might be much better than a wet Bank Holiday Monday in the UK :lol:
Overnight wet down South, but has now turned into sunny intervals. I celebrated by turning on the pool heating, so should be ready in a few days time. Still fighting cloudiness despite regular injections of clarifier. All the chemical levels are spot on, so I think the answer is to keep going and it will sort itself out.

John
paolo

Post by paolo »

If you delete the first post in a thread that is all you are doing, and it makes no sense of the rest of the thread.

I'm not going to add a password-protected section because I don't see the need for one - as long as you don't slander anyone you should be alright.
Paolo
Lay My Hat