Links are considered serious gold dust but......

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Mountain Goat

Links are considered serious gold dust but......

Post by Mountain Goat »

Links to one's site are important. We all know that.

But how many make a difference and how dependent is it for links to come from a relevant content-rich site (and well-spidered by search engines?).

Thanks.

Goat
oskar

Post by oskar »

Hi Goat

What´s more important than the number of links is the quality of them i.e. if you can get a link with the right anchor text on the homepage of a PR9 site, then that´s serious goaldust. That´ll be worth far more than hundreds of links on much lesser value pages.

If you find anyone willing to give you that link, do let me know. I may have some goaldust for you! :wink:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oskar
You've lost me for a moment. What's PR9? Last time I climbed in one was:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/canberra.html

Goat
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

GOat

It means "Page Rank". You can see it if you install a google tool bar and is a measure of how google sees the importance of your page. For example LayMyHat.com has a PR of 5. To be honest I have seen little change in PRs recently and therefore i rather suspect their imprtance is diminishing. From what I read relevant content is becoming more and more important for high search rankings.

Cheers

Tudor
www.frigiliana-apartment.com
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oskar, Tudor, thanks for this.

There's a glimmer of understanding at this end, a lightbulb flickering faintly. So those signature links here on LMH combined with the content on LMH could be something approaching gold-dust.....?

Somewhere I'd heard that there's a downside to installing Google's toolbar - some security problem with what Google then gets to see on one's PC. Not as bad as gmail sniffing through one's personal mail, but almost as bad.

Goat
kevincohr

Post by kevincohr »

Google PR (Page Rank) is certainly diminishing in importance, although it is still one of the 100 factors that Google uses to assess your site in search engine results.

The origin of PR is in a patent that one of the founders of Google filed, which assigned a PR based upon the sum of the PR of all links pointing to your page. Interestingly, the PR you are assigned can vary depending on which Google data centre is assessing your site.

You can check the page rank of any site as per the various Google data centres here : http://www.pageranktool.net/

Kevin
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

kevincohr wrote: The origin of PR is in a patent that one of the founders of Google filed, which assigned a PR based upon the sum of the PR of all links pointing to your page.
Kevin
But don't forget the benefit you receive from a page linking to you is reduced by a factor of 10 if the linking page has 9 links other than yours on it ....
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
marcus

Post by marcus »

Not quite sure this is a 'bookings' issue, but...

Here's something interesting for you to check...run a report at
http://tools.marketleap.com/publinkpop/
to see how many links there are to your site, you can then click on the results to see who the links are from

You will see they classify the results as follows:

Limited presence 0-1000 links to your site
Average presence 1000-5000 links to your site
Above average presence 5000+ links to your site

Anyone here with 'above average presence'?
kevincohr

Post by kevincohr »

Very interesting tool ....

It might not be a fair comparison, because mine is a semi-commercial site, but I'm pleased to see that after 8 months I am up to 3275 links .... not yet above average, but well on the way !

Kevin
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Have you noticed that Google always underestimates the number of backlinks to your site compared to MSN and Yahoo? Any idea why this might be?
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
kevincohr

Post by kevincohr »

My understanding is that Google does not report all the links that it has indexed. Specifically, it does not include all newer links and it excludes some links from sites with low Google Page Rank.

Kevin
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Marcus,

When I created my DIY Wanadoo Web Site I imagined it would be totally invisible to everyone I didn't tell of its existence. Not quite, using that tool I find I have the grand total of four links. Wow! fame at last.

Alan
oskar

Post by oskar »

Anyone here with 'above average presence'?
:oops:

Regarding Google, for a better list type link:www.yourdomain.com into Google but put a space in between : and www The number of links shown will increase markedly.

link:www.yourdomain.com into MSN still gives you the more accurate figure.
kevincohr

Post by kevincohr »

That's interesting ... any idea why using the extra space shows up more links on Google ?

Kevin
oskar

Post by oskar »

None! :(