Advice on choosing an agent

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Martha

Advice on choosing an agent

Post by Martha »

Hi everyone...and thanks for all the great information I've already got from LMH!
We are looking for managing agents for our property and I wondered if anyone had any advice, tips or cautionary tales to share?

There's quite a wide choice here, which is good. We've narrowed it down to two, who've got various pros and cons - here's a selection of the things we are going to ask about in order to make the decision - is there anything that seems amiss here to any of you?

- What languages do you speak?
- What rentals are you getting for similar properties to ours?
- Can we talk to some of your owners?
- How exactly does the financial side work- percentages, other charges etc?
- Do you have your own linen or do we provide it?
- What welcoming services/local information do you give?
- Who are your typical clients, what nationalities?
- Where do you advertise, and what travel agencies are you partnered with
- How do you deal with cancellations?
- Are there restrictions on our use of the house?
- Do you provide detailed income and expenditure?
- Can you help us find good builders/plumbers/ accountants in the area?

What else do you think I should add? I haven't really gone into the website side of thing as they're quite specific to each agency - one has a dreadful site which is the main thing against them...
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Firebug, when we bought our place in Serre Chevalier, the charges were so high that we choked (35% seemed about average). WEe have gone with an English girl who lives there, speaks good French, and charges us a more reasonable sum of 15%. Although she doesn't have anything to do with marketing or booking, she does give us links from her own website, and is there for any problems we may have. She has been invaluable this Winter, as there were snagging jobs to be done, and a few complaints to the architect. We provide the linen, she sees to the laundry and cleaning. Most of the agents locally do not provide linen, it has to be rented by the client from a local laverie, and returned on departure, although I think for an extra fee the agents would leave it and return it.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Thanks Helen...

35%! wow! the ones we are looking at vary from 28 to 15 depending on circumstances...

We were originally thinking of going with someone local as you describe, but we wondered if, in out first year, we might need quite a lot of help and hand-holding, so perhaps a larger agency might be useful...

PS - Serre chevalier - how lovely! We spent a great week there two years ago, it's a wonderful place :) PMd you too...
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

PM'd you back. As you say it depends what amount of handholding you need initially. I know some folks out in Chamonix through another forum, they may be able to help.