I've made a bit of a booboo!!

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Foxandsot

I've made a bit of a booboo!!

Post by Foxandsot »

Hello All

I've been happily playing with my DIY website and I have put it out there on the internet by mistake. It is far from finished!!

Can I stop if being viewed by people or is it too late?

Michelle
paolo

Post by paolo »

If it is not being linked to by any other site, it should not get picked up by any search engines.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

How would I know if it is linked to another site? :oops:

You are most probably thinking, if I need to ask a question like that, I shouldn't be allowed to do my own website :lol:

Thanks

Michelle
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Michelle, simply enter

link:www.yourwebsiteaddress

Into Google

Never feel like you're asking a stupid question. If I don't learn something new each week, I feel as if I am dead.
pinkeyemedia

Post by pinkeyemedia »

If no-one knows about your website, then dont worry!! But if people do, and youve deleted your old site. Why not create a new index.html page and pop a picture of your villa and a little note saying, website under re-construction (with date) and a number for more information. If you want, i can whip one up for you in no time, for nothing of course...no problem :wink:
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Thanks

I think I am okay at the moment as I can't find it anywhere on the internet, only when I type in the website address. I did the link thing in google and nothing came up. How do you get linked and what is it? For my website I had to type in key words (meta tags possibly) would these be links?

You really can tell I am a novice when it comes to websites!

Michelle
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

This is probably a daft question, but if you loaded your website onto a server, can you not just delete it now?

Phil
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

I have no idea if it has been loaded onto a server?? I bought a website in a box and basically you go to a website enter your password and start choosing layout and adding text and photos. There is a button saying view your website and publish. I pressed said button thinking I could view it and then would be directed elsewhere to unleash it onto the internet but when I type my web address in my unfinished messy website is there??? Therefore I assume that means I have published it?

What is concerning me now is that I can only find it when I type the website in directly, if I do a general search on google they have never heard of it?? Not a problem now but will be in the future.

As I have said before I have absolutely no idea what I am doing?? :oops:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Michelle,

It sounds like you have done all the right things, and so far there's no harm done, and its extremely unlikely that Google or anyone else will find you yet.

The service that you have subscribed to (Website in a box) has made everything very easy for you - perhaps even too easy. From what you describe, your website is already "on a server". It has already been "published", but unless you tell us the address so that we can type it in, we won't be able to see your "work in progress".

To answer your other question about "links". These are usually that bit of blue underlined text that you see here and on many other websites, such that when you put your mouse over that bit of text, it changes from a pointer thingy to a hand and then you can click it, and you are then taken to the next web page. It is a way of linking this page to the next page - hence the term "links". As an example, and to show that it is not always blue underlined text... If you click on this you will go to the home page for Lay My Hat. Other "links could be like the button with WWW underneath my message right here that "links" to my website. Sometimes even pictures can be "links", but the clue is when the mouse pointer changes to a hand. You will eventually want to get your website named (linked from) somebody else's website (e.g. right here on LMH, or maybe a commercial lettings site)

My suggestion is that you continue the work you have started on your own website, and then when you're happy, come back here for more advice on the next step. I am a strong believer in one step at a time, while acknowledging that there are perhaps another 400 steps to learn (I only know about the next 20, so even I have a long way to go !)
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

I've just bought myself website for dummies, hopefully it might help a bit, even if it's just understanding the jargon! I'll plod along with it for now and when I get to the difficult bits, I'll be back!!
Thanks everyone!!
david a

Post by david a »

VillaTatiana wrote:Thanks

I think I am okay at the moment as I can't find it anywhere on the internet, only when I type in the website address. I did the link thing in google and nothing came up. How do you get linked and what is it? For my website I had to type in key words (meta tags possibly) would these be links?

You really can tell I am a novice when it comes to websites!

Michelle
Hello Michelle

You seem to be where i was about seven months ago. I also started from scratch with no knowledge of web design, Servers meta tags, the list go's on and at first it all seemed unachievable, I stumble on a hosting company that offer free softwear when you buy a hosting package plus a £50 google voucher (for pay per click). I did have to play around with it for a while but for a first attempt was quite pleased with the results.

If you would like to see the results then click on the link.
www.cyprusseaviews.co.uk
There is a link on the site with more info (just click the lycos advert).

Regards

David