What would you consider "a good year" ?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi ALL

I have just bought a property in Spain and am very pleased to have stumbled on this site...

What sites would you recommend to advertise on? There are just so many about!!! I am hoping with your feedback I can cut through to the pick of the crop.

Sarah
www.islacanelaholidays.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Sarah,

Try the "Rental Listing Sites" part of this forum. :)
Brooke
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

"For heaven's sake, stop writing about "folks,""
Nora,
This must be a line from a tv series - but if it isn't, why stop writing about "folks"? Stop addressing "chaps", ok, since most of us aren't, but has "folks" acquired a new meaning since we left London last century??

WHOOPS!!!!!!! Just saw poor Nora's other post: I think her (his?) children are being a little naughty & writing in her (his?) name. Tut, tut, children!
Best,
Alexia.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Alexia,
You're wasting your breath, sorry. Nora71 is a spammer whose purpose is to spresd a virus via their links. I have this T shirt (the one that comes with running a message board that doesn't require pre-approval to join)... :roll:
Waves from America
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Ah! yes, there's an e-mail at the bottom of its (neither "he" nor "she") post.
Best,
Alexia.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

The original question was What makes a good year?. Here's my end of year reply (and yes, I've had a glass of wine so take no responsibility for my own words :lol: ):

* Happy cottage customers; positive feedback in the visitors book; a good level of repeat bookings; the feeling you've made some new friends along the way; a reasonable level of income (sorry, economics has to come into it somewhere!).

* England winning the World Cup (fat chance, says John Borg).

* Family and friends achieving their dreams and aspirations (or at least some of them!).

* Spending more time with family and friends.

* Finding more quality time for yourself and being self-indulgent occasionally!

* Getting to know a corner of the world which you've not explored before.

* Spending time in the Lake District hills .... whatever the weather.

I could go on ..... I suspect I've forgotten world peace somewhere!

Best wishes for 2006.
gh

Post by gh »

2005 now gone alas was a very good year, bookings up on 2004 which was up on 2003 etc,,

Contentment and happiness in life is always a good year.

So Slang to a good 2006 and may all your bookings be on the up and up.

To make a happy fireside clime To weans and wife, That's the true pathos and sublime Of human life. [Robert Burns]
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I love the idea of a "what it's like in winter page". I'm going to get the camera out and take some pictures of people enjoying the beach!
martin2

Post by martin2 »

interesting thread this one as I had only aimed to fill my place for the 6 - 8 weeks high season but hoped for 10-12 total, 22 or more sounds fantastic but also would deprive me of the use of it :( but balances have to be achieved as in all things i suppose.

Interesting to see that there are a few people here who have larger properties for large famililies \ sharing families and just wondering if there are any special sites they use for marketing as its my 1st year letting it and mine is only on the owners in france site at athe moment (since 12\05) and i have already got 4 weeks booked.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Interesting to see that there are a few people here who have larger properties for large famililies \ sharing families and just wondering if there are any special sites they use for marketing
As a punter, if I need to rent a large property, my first port of call is www.thebigdomain.com
Paolo
Lay My Hat
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

Try groupaccommodation.com. Also, if you are aiming your property at families travelling with children, babygoes2.com is very useful. We've had a number of bookings through them.

We offer a per person per week tariff outside of the peak school holiday weeks. This works very well for us as a large house can be difficult to let at full rate at that time. Any pennies are better than none...! :wink:
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
gh

Post by gh »

DivineMrsM wrote: Any pennies are better than none...! :wink:
Totally agree DivineMrsM, better to have your property let than stand empty generating no income whatsoever, especially as you say the hard to fill weeks.

Regards
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

The weekly charge is £160pp but it is subject to a minimum charge of £550pw. Got to be worth getting out of bed for... :wink:

The punters love it. We had a family of four stay in June 2004 (the whole house to themselves with their own exclusive pool!). They liked it so much they came back the following year, in August at full price, for a 40th birthday celebration with friends. So that certainly paid off!!
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Paolo,
That (bigdomains) is one of the most pleasant sites I've seen. The smalldomains site isn't great but they're both interesting.
Best,
Alexia.
martin2

Post by martin2 »

some really good responses there and thanks for the advice. Babygoes2 is so obvious as we used it when our little ones were pre toddler stage and yet forgot all about it - so thank you and bigdomains is certainly impressive but im not sure if mine isnt too little at only sleeping 10 - 12.

still plenty to review there and thanks again