sofabeds + snorers = fabulous guests ?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
debk

sofabeds + snorers = fabulous guests ?

Post by debk »

1. My husband and I were talking a few weeks ago about how shockingly many snore-ers there are in the world, a conversation based upon the number of requests we get from couples to have an extra bed made up. It's practically the norm for us. No exaggeration.

2. Yesterday a very, shall we say, 'upscale' couple (really much too upscale for us) checked out of our one-bedroom plus sofa/trundlebed apartment and as they left -- had a wonderful time, telling all their friends, lovely comment in the guestbook -- they admitted they never stay in a hotel because the husband snores.

Anyone see the connection?

Add those two conversations to my ongoing considerations of recent LHM comments about sofabeds setting the wrong tone or attracting the wrong type of guests (something we want to avoid, as much as the next person!) and you get this tentative proposal:

If you have a lovely, well-furnished home, then a sofabed* in-and-of-itself won't imply budget, low-class nor cram-them-to-the-rafters. Rather, it says "Stay here, all you who snore, and you will find rest for your souls."

Then again, maybe most people in the world DO snore and we're not really heavily skewing bookings (in our favor) with the trundles. In which case, I'm totally barking up the wrong tree. Again. :D
debk

*OK, we prefer sofa/trundlebeds which provide 2 excellent orthopeadic twin mattresses, but one of our houses has a very comfy IKEA sofabed.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Hi

I am not surprised at your findings.

My husband is a heavy snorer and for many years we have booked accomodation with either a sofa bed or twin beds. Yes - it has been pricey as this accomodation has been priced for 3-4 people but I consider a good nights sleep an essential part of life and holidays.

Recently, I travelled back to the UK on a night flight from the US with British Airways in biz class with the seats that also fold out to become beds. The number of passengers that were snoring pretty loudly was interesting. It reminded me of my early holidays with my boyfriend (now husband) staying in small cheap studios in the Greek islands with him snoring loudly and me wide awake reading a book through the night! What fond memories..

So to get back to the point - the sofabed may offer a great alternative to this common problem and also one that renters are prepared to pay for.

Best wishes. :)
debk

Post by debk »

Thanks for your comments, Ianthy. The more I thought about it, the more I believe the trundle beds are indeed attracting friendly snorers to our doors. It's good to have your input, as I don't usually delve too deeply into the reasons for making up the extra bed when couples rent from us. :wink:

Happy renting!
debk
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My in-laws will not stay in a place that does not have twin beds. We suggested they went to stay at our apartment with us for a few days and they insisted on the sofa beds in the lounge.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Mmm, I've found that too. We have the main bedroom,dble bed and en-suite, another dble bedroom and a room with one big single bed and one ordinary single ( no en-suite)- when the house has been rented out to just a couple they often use the bedroom with the single beds. The other 2 rooms are never touched and they are beautiful!!! Must have rampant snorers :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Wouldn't it be more economical to use those old-fashioned wooden clothes pegs? Mrs G. doesn't seem to mind these too much.

Goat