Long Winter let

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Hells Bells

Long Winter let

Post by Hells Bells »

I've had an email today from a guy who posts on another forum, wanting to book my ski apartment for a season. I replied saying no, as we would want to be using it ourselves, but he's come back with the reply that he wants to use it for himself and his American business partner to come and go as they please throughout the Winter, taking advanatge of cheap flights. He would also bring the family out for a couple of trips. Point is, I had a relatively successful 1st season, and would hate to lose any returning clients, although it would help the cash flow, as he's offered rent up front. Also what do I charge? I know what rent i would lose if it were fully booked, but I can't be sure it will be. He'll be gone by the next winter, probably never to return again, and I may have lost the customers I got last season. Your opinions please.

Helen
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I would take it. Decide what rent you could have realistically have expected and take the money. Hopefully your other guests will realise what a popular place it is and get in very quickly for the following year. They don't need to know that it's a single booking, just that they have missed out. Send them very regretful emails and suggest that next year they book by such and such a date in order not to miss out again. You could even send them a postcard reminder, showing views of your place.
You clearly don't need the booking, so don't sell yourselves short financially.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I'm considering it as a serious proposition, but I obviously need to alter my terms and conditions for the stay. Any suggestions as to what I should include?
I have already thought of an increased damage deposit, insisted on cleaning and linen change being included, and phone (if installed) and electric extra.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Nice position to be in!

1) Play for time, keep the discussion going, and get hold of a similar place to offer either him or your potential booking-again punters. Everyone would be happy then.

or

2) Pass them on to us.

Goat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Goat, wish I could afford another place. My friend out there has a studio, but it's not really the same. I'll consider the second option if I decide to go for it though. I just have to get the price right, although checking out some of the season lets the prices made my eyes water, so maybe I shouldn't worry. E.g. Studio with mezzanine £5500 Dec-April, Tignes.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Helen
Surely there's a chance of renting another apartment in your complex (or whatever) similar to yours? Or getting first option to rent while you negotiate with your long-term guy? Even if it means upgrading the second place with furniture or a coat of paint.

Use the upfront season's rental as deposit to buy another. What are mortgage costs like there? (Just gone up from 2.45% here)

Goat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

MOuntain Goat,it's a brand new complex, and not really anything up for rental as yet. Two of the chalets aren't even finished , but will b for the winter, and many of the others have been bought by French families. We've met some of them but the other smaller apartments are all closed up and I don't know who owns them. I could leave a note in their postbox I suppose. The English guys upstairs are buying another one to rent out though. Theirs will be much bigger than mine though.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Helen
Well, notes under doors, postboxes, via concierge, via management company - try everything, and something should emerge. I don't think renting an unfinished place is a good idea - potential nightmare on the horizon.

It depends on whether you've got time as well. I should wait for advice from more experienced forum members - I'm new, and have only been doing it for 3 months. Countries and nationalities are so different in this sector of the market.

Legal input from someone you trust would be useful, especially if things get interesting with cancellations, no-shows etc. Insurance could be fun as well.

I dump the internet enquiries we get which we can't or don't want to handle (family of 10 in one bedroom, 4 night rentals, 'we have 3 very well-behaved Dobermans...' etc. but spare them the West-African-originating chancers) on other owners and b & b places here; one day they may do the same thing for us.

Good luck!
Goat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Goat, our place is finished though, and we have rented it out all season, without complaint. I wasn' too clear though that work has currently restarted to build the second phase (at the other end of the grounds), hence my inability to find another apartment (i have already tried to contact someone as our friends want to come out with us for new Year. Not being out there doesn't help, as I can't do it quickly, and being May there's no-one there at the moment. Having slept on it, I'm going off the idea, but it would still appeal providing my conditions are met.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Helen,
Presumably you must know reasonably in advance which weeks you will want to be using the apartment yourselves?
Could you not come to some arrangement with him that he can rent the flat for the whole season, apart from weeks x, y, and z?
Would that solve your dilemma?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Catherine, yes it would, and that is what I've proposed. We would keep it for Christmas, New Year and Easter. He has even said I can keep my two most lucrative mid-February weeks if I want. My friend/apartment manager was concerned at the loss of the customers we got this season and I think thought she may not be looking after the place for us. That didn't cross my mind, I would refuse the booking if it meant that I lost her services. It would actually help the immediate cashflow problem too, as he'd give me a deposit in advance, and the bills would probably be covered in total for about 6-7 months. The property is quite unique in the village, most of the other apartments are either in old village houses, or are rather tired looking , so I can get quite a premium rental when the pool is finished. Still to decide, but he;s agreed to the conditions I stated, just need to give him a price now. I think i'll go high, and be willing to negotiate of he thinks it's too much.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Well, I've emailed the price and conditions of rental, so we'll see. I have left myself a little room for negotiation, but I'm not too bothered if he says no, as it will give me a chance to see what a full season of bookings will look like. Despite not been completed until Christmas eve, we were full from 12th Feb until early April. we had a week long booking in January too so managed more than 50% of our winter season booked, and we were there ourselves for almost another 5.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Well, he's finally picked up the email, so I suppose I need to wait with baited breath!!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

He though it was too expensive, but will be booking some long weekends. I think he thought he'd get it really cheap.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yes, well, perhaps it was a bit over the top suggesting getting another apartment on the strength of one booking.....it's strange how things look different the next morning.
Goat