Are we first?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Highams Park Harry

Post by Highams Park Harry »

crikey, new bugs like me are still gloating over our summer bookings, such as they are, just scraping past the half full mark this week

a man is coming to expect this Sat, apparently we're his first choice sight unseen of about five local places

it's for seven months from September, the magic of those words

all please keep fingers crossed for Harry at about 11am on Saturday peeps

I'm going to cry if he says no, been nursing this one in for five months
Dordogne Holiday Cottage, sleeps eight
http://www.ruedelagare.co.uk
Jo Tomkinson

Post by Jo Tomkinson »

Looks like 2007 is going to be a bumper year - we have 3 bookings for July/August at our apartment in Spain and 2 bookings for one of our villas in Turkey + an enquiry received yesterday.

Shame about 2006 - still hoping for some late bookings - according to a travel expert it's because of the World Cup that bookings for holidays are down this year. We'll see.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

My first real one for next season. Someone asking if I'm taking bookings for June for "my lovely little cottage" - yeah! I haven't got next years rates calculated yet so any early bookings I just do at this years rate for early booking.
Ju

Post by Ju »

We've now got our first two weeks for next year. We charge this year's rate for early bookings, then change the prices (if we are going to) in September.

We have also just booked our final summer week, so we are very happy bunnies!! :D :D
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Just got another (almost def) booking from my ebay ad. !!!! Family of four, so not really any worries.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Second booking for June 2007, they just vacated the cottage yesterday. :lol: :)

I pride myself on supplying lots of extras but they found something that had slipped by me :oops: - an adaptor for plugging in toothbrushes and shavers. (We don't currently have a point in the bathroom). They bought one and left it alongside the hairdryer "for their next visit". I've promised them a bottle of wine will be waiting in payment!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Got our first booking for 2007, 2 weeks last week of July and first week of August...deposit paid. I think this makes it our earliest booking for the following year (so far)!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Mid-february is already booked.
Vally

Post by Vally »

I am probably a bit odd , but I hate getting "year ahead" bookings, deposits are taken and they go into the wrong year ( in my mind) and then you think "oh is that all I am getting" when the proper payment comes"
Someone booked for the hotel a year ahead, last year to this year , I told her I would pencil it in and to come back with the depoosit nearer the time ... then promptly forgot all about it ( no I am not new to the game being in the hotel nearly 20 years!! :oops: ) however the lady came back in April to pay a deposit and has now been and gone
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

My only hesitation on very early bookings is on off chance that I win the lottery as I'd take the place off rental as soon as I could!! However, I'm resigned to the fact that is very unlikely to happen. :cry:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sue, if I win the lottery, Im keeping my little place, and buying the apartment the builder has built for himself. It's gorgeous!!!!!
A-two

Post by A-two »

Just bragging.....

> Name: ms patricia xxxxx
> E-mail: xxxxx
> Tel: + 44 xxxxx
> Arrival date: 20 Aug 2008
> Departure date: 3 Sep 2008
> Total no in party: 3 (including children)
> No of children: 0
> Further info:
> Hi, I am flexible to the week
> before the 2oth but I have to
> return by the 5th Sept,I will
> be accompanied by my son aged
> 14 and his school friend of
> the same age.We will be
> travelling from Wales in the
> U.K. Have you availability
> for this period,? we are all
> well behaved! Thank you
> Patricia,

Have just replied asking if it's a typo....if so, I'll own up.
Chandler Ranch Estate Inn

Post by Chandler Ranch Estate Inn »

kteee wrote:I have confirmed bookings for Jan-Feb, April, June and September 2007. All repeat clients who have been coming every year for 4 years now!

Can you tell me what I can do as a new comer to make things happen in the United States?

I am in the Central Coast. I'd really like to get some bookings.

Is it best to advertise on home away from home.. some other sites.. or just word of mouth.. links on other people's sites,

HELP! What makes this thing go!
The Highest in me, honors the Highest in You
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I'd recommend that you scour the forum thoroughly -- there is a treasure trove of information here, everyone's experience combined into one. Before I posted anything here, I learned a ton by just reading for several weeks. The search function was my best friend.

Then, whatever questions you still have can be posted in the relevant section, or in the "Just Starting Out" section, if you aren't sure what the relevant section is.

Have fun! :)
Brooke
A-two

Post by A-two »

Chandler Ranch Estate Inn wrote: Can you tell me what I can do as a new comer to make things happen in the United States?
That's easy, but it's a bit of a harsh response. Sorry about that, but I think you want an honest answer, which is that you have a lot of work to do on the marketing side and need to build a personal website from scratch.

Your Dragonfly village listing site is a new one on me, and it's awful. I would click on a few signature links here, and have a good look at how other people are marketing their places using personal sites or more traditional listing sites like Cyberrentals, then think really hard about what kind of impression you are creating by using dragonfly and those photos when compared to what they are doing.

I'm sure you have a lovely place, and that you really care about the quality of the accomodation and services you are providing for guests, but that is not coming across at all well.

As Brooke says, the answers are all here for you to transform yourself. Start reading and good luck!