Help needed dwith photos

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Marion

Help needed dwith photos

Post by Marion »

I have new digital camera that appears to do everything but fly. It generally takes excellent photos but I don't seem to be able to get good shots of my apartments. The problem is that there is a window at one end of a longish room and the light from that seems to make one area really washed out and the rest really dark. I've tried various settings but with no luck so far. Help much appreciated.
Marion
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Not an expert either, Marion, but have you tried editing them in a photo editing program. That usually works better than altering your camera settings.
Marion

Post by Marion »

Hi Helen,
Yes but they tend to look all hazy and washed out.
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Marion,

With a digital camera the answer is usually to point the camera at one of the darker areas and press the shutter button half-way down. That sets your exposure levels and while still holding the shutter button half-way down move the camera to incorporate the picture you want to take and press the shutter button all the way. You then get the picture you want with the exposure level you need.

Alan
Marion

Post by Marion »

Thanks Alan, I'll try that.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Although that won't get you both the interior and view equally exposed. If it is a sunny day you will usually find the interior is nicely exposed and the window is a blaze of light.

You can take two pictures from exactly the same position, one exposed to the inside, one to the window, and then marry the two on your computer.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
A-two

Post by A-two »

paolo wrote:You can take two pictures from exactly the same position, one exposed to the inside, one to the window, and then marry the two on your computer.
This sounds like something I can really use, thank you! Questions: If the camera is fixed to a tripod to ensure no movement between the two shots, then how do you set the exposure manually and which exposures do you use? I currently use Alan's method but it requires movement between the two shots, and they would never line up. (I would read the manual if I could find it for my Nikon Coolpix 995!) Also, which computer software do you use to marry the pictures? (Please don't say Photoshop!) Do you have an example of a before and after the marriage?
janskov

Post by janskov »

How about forcing the flash to go off.
That has worked for me.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

You can take two pictures from exactly the same position, one exposed to the inside, one to the window, and then marry the two on your computer.
I don't know about Paolo, I have done it myself many times in the past, but sorry to have to tell you Joanna, I've used photoshop :?

But the good news is that you don't really need a tripod. In fact, you don't even need to be standing in the same place!

Take a look at the following examples:

1. This is a photo of the main bedroom. I have exposed for the interior, so the view from the window is completely washed out...

2. This is another image, looking out through the window (and exposed for the exterior):

3. Finally, Ta-dum! - The view from the window has been cut and pasted, in photoshop, from the second into the first image:

Is this "cheating"? Possibly. I think it depends upon how far you go. In the above example, I don't think I am doing anything dishonest, because that is the view from the window, and it is far more breathtaking when you are actually there, so no-one is going to feel cheated or disappointed.

Other "cheats" I have done include completely cloning out cars, copying and pasting flowers and shrubs from one photo to another, and removing a load of weeds that were spoiling an otherwise lovely photo. In all cases, I have never put in things that were not already in a photo that I myself have taken of the house but maybe on a different occasion. (For example, the flowers were not in flower on the day that I took an otherwise better photo, and the garden was weeded a few days after I had taken the photo).
Marion

Post by Marion »

Thanks everyone for your help, especially Catherine for taking the time to post the photos. This looks really effective, and I wouldn't call it cheating. I'm now off to play with my camera. I will let you know the results.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I won't say Photoshop (although it was Photoshop)
AAAAAArgh! I see Photoshop in my future
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

paolo wrote:Although I do think you should be standing in the same spot. Catherine's pictures are from different parts of the room, and as a result the angle of the road looks a tiny bit unnatural in the finished picture. Probably only because I know it's a composite. :)
Paolo, I take your point, but I don't think most people will notice the angle of the drive (particularly when the photo is smaller as it is on the website), and in fact the view is not that dissimilar from both spots!

But what worries me more is that you said "road". In fact it is the gravel drive up to the house! Does it look like a road? If this is true, then I think I had better change the image, because I don't want people to think we are next to a road - nothing could be further from the truth, as in fact we are tucked away at the end of a lane a good 5 minutes walk from a very quiet B road!

Edit:
I've just had a look at my website and have only just realised that I never used the updated pic on my website!!! I only used it for this smaller version on the Sawday's site http://www.specialplacestostay.com/sear ... ID=fsc4538. Do you think I ought to change it if it really does look like a road? (Although it's too late now as it is already printed in the book :( )

Advice Please!!!!
Marion

Post by Marion »

Hi Catherine,
I don't think it looks like a road, at most it looks like a lane. I think it looks nice with the trees, it has a country feel to it.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Catherine,

I was using 'road' lazily. I can't really say if it looks like a road to fresh eyes, because I know the property enough to know it isn't a road, if you see what I mean.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
TravelPixel

Post by TravelPixel »

CatherineS wrote:
I don't know about Paolo, I have done it myself many times in the past, but sorry to have to tell you Joanna, I've used photoshop :?

But the good news is that you don't really need a tripod. In fact, you don't even need to be standing in the same place!

Take a look at the following examples:

1. This is a photo of the main bedroom. I have exposed for the interior, so the view from the window is completely washed out...

2. This is another image, looking out through the window (and exposed for the exterior):

3. Finally, Ta-dum! - The view from the window has been cut and pasted, in photoshop, from the second into the first image:

Is this "cheating"? Possibly. I think it depends upon how far you go. In the above example, I don't think I am doing anything dishonest, because that is the view from the window, and it is far more breathtaking when you are actually there, so no-one is going to feel cheated or disappointed.

Other "cheats" I have done include completely cloning out cars, copying and pasting flowers and shrubs from one photo to another, and removing a load of weeds that were spoiling an otherwise lovely photo. In all cases, I have never put in things that were not already in a photo that I myself have taken of the house but maybe on a different occasion. (For example, the flowers were not in flower on the day that I took an otherwise better photo, and the garden was weeded a few days after I had taken the photo).
The dark arts of photoshop, and ones i use all the time. Good skills there my friend!! :D