Paypal problems

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Acceptable forms of ID in the US also include a drivers license, credit cards, store cards and private medical insurance card, property tax bill, so you could offer to fax photocopies of some of those instead. They generally require 3 things with your name on it, one of which has to be a photo ID. For students, it can be their school photo ID or even a copy of a school/college report. They don't ask for birth certificate because US versions aren't legible by fax. I'm not referring to Paypal specifically, rather US companies generally. It's very common here for properties to be owned in company names and for utility accounts to be in the company name or a spouse's name, so I'm sure they will work with you on whatever alternatives you can provide.

It's ironic that the documents they insist you provide to them would be enough to enable someone to steal your identity, which is their reason for asking you to provide them in the first place. I would really hate to do this, because I don't know who works at Paypal or who has access to the information. What I do know is that mismanagement of these kinds of records by banks, financial institutions and credit card companies, is the primary source of ID theft in the first place. Records are hacked in the hundreds of thousands and it's a massive problem here in the US.

I pick up the phone and fight them on these kinds of issues and usually win, but in your situation, I guess they will have frozen your account until you comply. If there's anything deposited in the account that you would like to see this side of Christmas, then you probably don't have a choice, but I would not accept any more Paypal payments until this is settled.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

It gave me a valuable insight in the mechanisms that has made a mess out of bureaucracy in the former British colonies in Africa.

Janskov, that's a bit unfair: I completely agree that British colonial behaviour wasn't exactly to be admired, but what's the connection with PayPal and eBay?

Every single procedure PayPal and eBay insist on appears to be U.S.-flavoured in the extreme.

Maybe you mean the relationship between PP/eBay US and PP/ebay Europe is colonial - I would go for that.

Goat
God save our.........etc.
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Helen, we had to do something similar last year.

We switched to a PayPal.fr account, and once we had made over a certain amount of money through PayPal, we had to conform with some new EU rules (related to money laundering, I believe) requring all kinds of documentation. I triple-checked to make sure that I hadn't fallen prey to some spoofing scam or that the site itself had been hacked to try and collect this data from everyone. I think we did have to show a bill with our name and the address PayPal had on file. I also seem to remember that it wasn't completely straightforward, but they accepted what we sent them in the end.

The thing that sticks out in my mind, actually, is that it took me days to figure out that the fax number they sent me was some strange toll-free number to call the US from Europe, and since I was actually calling from the US, it didn't work at all. I felt kind of silly when I realized I was dialing about 20 digits to try and call the US from the US!

They didn't freeze our accounts, though, so if that's what they've done to you, maybe this is different.

We haven't had any problems with PayPal since then, though I do agree that if they are ever hacked or robbed, we could be in trouble if they haven't been careful.
Brooke
enid

Post by enid »

They froze my account earlier this year - I think it was because I tried to access my account from K's computer and made some mistakes with the password. I had to fax a utility bill and a couple of other things - the tel number never worked for me and they unblocked it pretty promptly. I was actually reassured by it.
janskov

Post by janskov »

Sorry. Maybe I was not clear in stating that I have no problem with Paypal.

About two years ago the administration of Paypal and eBay was transferred to the UK.
My Paypal account still works fine and I have never experienced any problem with them.

It was eBay who made silly demands after it was taken over by UK administration.

I like Paypal and think it is as safe as any other online payment system.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My problrm is that I have already sent the info, and they are requesting more. Still, I haven't had any problems before, and i have looked around, and despite it appearing expensive, it is still cheaper than a merchant account. I'll try and send some more documents today I think.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Actually, my account isn't frozen but I do have a limited time to send the information. I too was having trouble with the phone no they asked me to fax them too, but they have now given me an alternative. The guy who has responded to my emails has been very helpful. brooke, I think my problem is exactly the same as the one you had, EU money laundering rules. FIngers crossed guys,I'm just about to fax away all my ID.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi all,

I've been very happy with PayPal until about a month ago (ie after the eBay takeover...). Now if I email potential guests with a Request for funds, they're asked to open a PayPal account, which most don't want to do.

I also find it's become much more restrictive on how much money I can have in it at any time. (I'm a premium user rather than a business.)

Once guests are asked to open an account and they don't want to, I find myself embroiled in a lengthy e-mail exchange over what to do. I found it's easier for people to pay when using a paypal link on a site than if I request by email.

My last guest had a series of problems (there seems to be a particular issue with Canadian bank account holders). First, the email didn't work. Then when she used the link, it refused to let her pay me. So I suggested perhaps it would accept a smaller amount (she was coming for two weeks so was trying to pay nearly 1,000 euros). So she paid the damage deposit and it was accepted. Feeling lucky, she then managed to pay half the rental balance due. But when she tried a third payment for the final amount, it simply refused. So she had to get a bank draft to take to Paris.

It made me feel very unprofessional that she had to go through all that just to rent my place. And she's not the first to have problems.

Does anyone else have this kind of experience and - more importantly - does anyone have any advice on how to handle these problems?

Thanks,
Elaine
Lounging on the lily pad...
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

This seems to be similar to the problems I have experienced over the past few weeks too. The first problem was a guest trying to pay in full for her accommodation, then my account was limited until I sent them ID. I think, (but can't check), the guest was trying to pay using my online calendar. We eventually sorted it as she opened an account, but there normally is no need to do this, and it was below the limit anyway. Beleive it or not, the documetns I have now sent three times have been lost, and I have sent them again this morning. There must be another option. I believe Google may be doing something similar soon.
janskov

Post by janskov »

I have never had any problems with Paypal, but are also worried about having them as the only way to take credit cards.
How about Moneybookers?
I have just signed up for a privat account with them and that part was quite easy.
Anybody with experience in receiving bank transfers and credit card payments cross borders?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Wait, did I read that Google is setting up a way to accept credit cards?

Everyone that rents from us and pays everything through PayPal ends up having to open an account when they make their final payment. That's part of the reason that we take the final payment so early: the process takes a few days. We're used to it and most clients don't seem to mind. It makes returning the deposit very easy using the PayPal refund option.

I always suggest a bank transfer, though, as an alternative. We don't pay fees for that, and the client doesn't have to give out massive amounts of personal information. Some prefer it.

I know there's a discussion about Moneybookers somewhere on the forum...
Brooke
janskov

Post by janskov »

So far Google is US only
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The ability to refund the damage deposit via Paypal is so useful. I don't need to even transfer it out of my Paypal account. If only they'd get their act together and be consistent.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I logged into our paypal account for the villa and found we were -45.05USD as from 5 July. Both the USD and Euro account was closed because of the deficit. They do not give any further details on the account as to why this has happened only the date of the debit and the reason as 'Currency Conversion'. There is also a message saying that if we do not pay it the matter will be taken further to their collection department to recover the funds. The last time we had a payment via Paypal was October 2005 when guests from the USA paid by Paypal, so this debit on our account in July 2006 is a bit of a mystery to me!

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have emailed them for further details, but whether they reply is another matter!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Finally. after much to-ing and fro-ing, my account has been returned to 'regular standing' and I am upgraded to a business account.