Paypal problems

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
roxytoo

paypal

Post by roxytoo »

I though you didn't have to open an account with paypal now to send money?

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/websc ... nt-outside
sunny by nature

Post by sunny by nature »

I thought you didn't need to be registered with them to send money but my last 3 sets of guests have all encountered problems. First they had to set up an account, then had to verify it and still were not able to send the money as it was too high an amount. We gave up on all three occasions and they sent the money by bank transfer.

I am still none the wiser as to how to get payment for amounts over £500 via Paypal and would be really grateful if someone could advise how to do this as most people would like to pay by credit card for insurance purposes.
it's life Jim but not as we know it
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have had a few similar problems too. First, have you selected the 'Paypal optional' function in the 'website payment preferences' section in your profile? They may have registered for Paypal at some stage and forgotten about it, this happened to one of my guests.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

For my French account, one can only make a PayPal payment without an account if the payment is less than E750.

So, most of our initial payments come from PayPal and don't require the client to have an account, but all our final payments do.

But I do seem to remember having to tick a box somewhere in the beginning stating that I didn't require that everyone who pays me have an account.
Brooke
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I did a test on this in June when my current guests were having trouble paying their money. It was only the deposit though, so I couldn't understand why. My hubby doesn't have a Paypal account, so we sent some money (a larger sum) to my account using our online booking system. It worked perfectly, so I was still none the wiser. My account is French too. I had to transfer some money to our French bank anyway. It just saved me a trip to town. I could , of course, have used the refund facility.
sunny by nature

This is the cry for help I received from a japanese guest recently who had opened and verified his account but still wasn't able to send the amount requested (around £1,000). The other 2 guests encountered similar problems for similar amounts, and were also told to wait for a code number on their invoice.

Has anyone had guests with the same problems, and if so have you found a way round it?

"I already verify my Paypal account.
But it needs time to open my account.
They will give my number on next invoice.
May be it will come in next 1 month.
How can I do?"

Hoping you can help,
Susan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

When I verified mine, I had to wait for a small deposit to be made to my bank account, and a similar debit to my credit card. The amounts then had to be entered into the website to verify the account. Not sure about codes on invoices though. Could it have been a translation problem? It is possible they have a sending limit on their account?
sunny by nature

It seems (from another guest) they are being asked to wait for an "expanded user number". I don't know what this is and have not had one for my account.
The accounts have already been verified by inputting the little payments to bank accounts.
Does anyone have any idea?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The expanded use number is on their credit card statement, and will appear as a four-figure number next to the Expanded use fee . See
paypal help for detaild. I think they have to start off the expanded use process by accessing their account, and selecting a credit card.
sunny by nature

Aaaah! Now I understand.
You have to forgive me, hubby is the money man - anything with brown paper envelopes or figures just gives me a glazed expression!!
Thanks Helen :D , I'll be able to help them now instead of looking thick.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

No problem at all. I had just been sorting out my account, and happened to come across the info when looking for something else.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Just a thought on refunding the damage deposit via Paypal. It is only possible to refund up to 60 days after payment, so it may be necessary to ask them to pay this at a later date to the balance. This has happened with my last guests who sent the balance 2 weeks before it was due. It didn't register that it was too late to refund until I went onto the site this evening. I have sent the money,but they won't get it returned to their card because of the 60 day rule.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Hmm... so if it's not a refund, you can't put the money back on your credit card?

I didn't know that. I will keep that in mind, now that I've just extended the time the final payment is due from 4 weeks before to 8 weeks before.
Brooke
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Brooke, I don't think so, as a refund is no longer an option you can choose, you have to actually pay them the amount of the refund, so I assume it will go directly to their account. They will therefore have fees to pay , si I have offered to send these by sterling cheque. I am still on 6 weeks, although I did consider 8, but these guys paid 2 weeks early, and then extended their stay due to the terrorist problems, taking them over the 60 days.