Arguement with a previous guest

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Highams Park Harry

Arguement with a previous guest

Post by Highams Park Harry »

Hello all, our second year renting out a place in the Dordogne, my sister does the changeovers, as well as another ten odd properties she manages, my father is the handyman.

We let to a couple with a child for ten days in April, my sister and father both called me seperately to tell me the place has been left in a state, spillages, the oven caked with burnt food and the place generally left like they'd lived there without ever cleaning or tidying.

My sister reckoned on at least three hours hard slog to sort it all out and we agreed a fee of £60 from the guest's damage deposit, I emailed them to inform of that, no reply until last night.

An email saying the house was like that and worse when they arrived, human and animal hair coating the carpets, the sink had old food in it, the fridge old food in it, the bathrooms dirty, the bedsheets smelling like a takeaway had been eaten off them, and so on and on

They didn't mention anything to my sister when she called on their first day to check all was ok as they saw no point in doing so.

Conclusion being that they'd left the property as they found it

I don't believe a word of it and obviously trust my sister and father utterly, never a murmer of complaint from our previous guests

I've stuck to my guns and said I believe my folks version of events, which I do.

Anyone had this one before and is there any adviceon how to handle this one either now or in the future, I find it all a bit upsetting to be honest

Is this just a hazard of letting?

thanks
Dordogne Holiday Cottage, sleeps eight
http://www.ruedelagare.co.uk
enid

Post by enid »

I think you must stick to your guns - point out to them that they should have contacted your caretaker at once if they found the house in such a state. They're just trying it on.
Highams Park Harry

Thank-you, yes, I'm quite clear on the wrongs and right of this one, I just find it nasty when these sorts of arguements start

Still, my sister and father were both adamant that they'd really left it in a state, far beyond anything vaguely grin and bear it acceptable, 'shit order' was my dad's special army phrase

Can I call you as an expert witness when it goes to court?

They're both lawyers ...
gh

Post by gh »

Just a thought, would you consider expanding on your T&C's the link below may be helpful. Should you have that sort of guest again you could quote, blah blah on your T&C's
viewtopic.php?t=109

Agree with Enid's comments, they are chancing their arm.

Your place looks lovely :)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

If they're lawyers, they're probably trying it on.
enid

Post by enid »

You've got their £60 - tell 'em to sue you for it! Easy for me to say - I know what you mean about this kind of unpleasantness leaving a nasty taste - but Im getting stronger in my old age. Anyway - the issue here is not about how they found it but how they left it!
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

You know it was fine when they arrived and you know it was awful when they left. From the way they left it, you know what sort of people they are! I would say you should take the money from their deposit. There has to be a certain amount or trust in this type of rental agreement and they have abused that trust :evil:
Having read this, if anything like this happens to me, I'm going to take photographs of the way it was left and send those photos to shame them! I'm so cross for you!!!!
Highams Park Harry

thank-you all, I feel better about it now

my sister, the one accused in this says it's laughable, I think she's dealt with plenty of odd balls and nutters in th eother properties she's manages

I am continually tempted to make the T%C more strict but I really don't want to put people off, I think I've been just strict enough without being too heavy

it really is very nice, thank-you, barring some finishing off in the garden, slow last year, better this year, hopefully steady momentum building
enid

Post by enid »

This is our third season - we have two gites and one has an annexe to extend the bedroom space for groups up to 8. The first year we had one gite. last year 2 and this year 2 plus the annexe - well we are still finishing that and it's booked for the first time July 1st (if you hear the faint cries of a Dad's army 'don't panic, don't panic' - that's us)

But the bookings have grown steadily - 22 weeks booked this year- and we have returners too as we haven't had the time to really focus on marketing we are really pleased - I think it takes 2 or 3 years with any new venture for the word of mouth advertising to take a hold - and that's the best of all :)
Highams Park Harry

22 weeks in total for all the properties?

otherwise, I hear you, repeats seem to be the way to go, my folks have a small gite since fifteen years ago and they struggled to start with, they've got a single week left now for this year and were almost solid months ago, loads of their weeks are booked for next year by people as they leave this year

Love some of that

still only year two and we didn't start year one until late July

btw the guests in question have resigned themselves ungraciously to the deduction, thans again all
Highams Park Harry

update

deducted, guests had a good moan but accepted it

now they aren't and have given me a deadline of 5.30 Friday or face legal action (both lawyers) unless I return £30, half the deduction

tempted to avoid the ag but I very much resent the bullying nature of the deadline so have politely refused

someone in this ie telling some big lies, either the guests or my sister and father

sigh
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

What a hassle! I can't see anyone being stupid enough to take anyone to court to sue for 30 pounds :!: It would cost them a fortune in fees, surely? You must be really fed up with this.
A-two

Post by A-two »

There's also the middle road. You could send them a cheque for a smaller amount, say GBP 10, endorsed on the back "in full and final settlement" and enclose a note saying that you're not admitting liability, but offering this as a gesture of goodwill. Make a copy of the note and the cheque before mailing in case they don't cash it. That would put you in a good light if it ever gets to Court. If you don't offer them anything, they could drag it out for years, even though they may have no intention to take it to Court. We had a similar situation one time and took the middle road just for a quiet life. They cashed it and we all moved on.

My 2 cents.
Highams Park Harry

I'd be happy to settle in some way if they weren't being so objectionable, I've done everythigthing right and as per agreements.

And their attitude has been horrid, wild accusations etc etc

the deadline thing was the final straw

see what happens at 5.30 I guess

thanks though
Badger

Post by Badger »

I'm sure they are just trying to frighten you, probably because they must know deep down they haven't a leg to stand on, don't think I could even bring myself to offer them anything, although its easy me saying that, I'm not in your position. Fortunately never had that problem (yet) but after reading your post I would make damned sure photos were taken immediately, showing how it was left.