Please tell me what you think

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Jo Tomkinson

Please tell me what you think

Post by Jo Tomkinson »

I constantly make changes, updating photos etc but have reached the stage where I can't be objective about it anymore. Please tell me what you think and if you think there are areas I can improve on. To me it is logical and all makes sense, but then I know it inside out. I would love to know your thoughts and any suggestions you have to make any improvements.

Jo
enid

Post by enid »

To me it is logical and all makes sense,
It did to me too - I like ot a lot - lovely photos. Only one comment and it's a personal thing - bigger text would make it perfect for me. Well done!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I like your pictures! It looks like you've generally followed the rules of photo-taking for a holiday property, which is great.

Is it just me, or is the background bright? Upon switching over from LMH to your site, the adjustment actually hurt my eyes a bit. It could be that my monitor is very bright, but I don't know. My eyes seem to have adjusted now.

On your home page, I would remove the hit counter and perhaps install a web stats program that works in the background. Hit counters are pretty old school, and their presence on a page isn't seen as that professional.

I found the site easy to navigate, but I'm wondering why you're using Flash to do a menu that you could easily do with text links? There's a noticeable pause for me as each page loads the flash menu, and this could be eliminated completely with a simple link table.

I like your "East Meets West" theme. Overall, nice site!
Brooke
Jo Tomkinson

Post by Jo Tomkinson »

Hi Vrooje
Thanks for your comments. However, it is villas-apart.net I wanted reviews on, I didn't realise my information still showed the co.uk one - however I am glad that has been highlighted as I have now changed to over.

Would you be so kind as to do a review on the villas-apart.net website as this is the one I have done myself and the one I direct people to when they make enquires etc.

Cheers

Jo
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

I like it. It's clean, clear and easy to follow. I also like the fact you have the t's and c's there, and they don't come across as being 'big brother'. Oh, and of course the YHM logo!
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Jo,

Sorry - I didn't check to be sure the URLs matched! :)

This one is much better, in my opinion. Nice layout, text readable to my eyes, but I agree it could be a little bigger.

So, on to the smaller details:

I like that little box you have at the top left that summarizes your site; that's a great idea. Have you considered having that link back to your homepage from all the other pages?

Something a little odd is happening when I mouseover the pictures on the home page -- their position, or the text's position, I can't tell, changes just slightly. It's enough to rearrange the words on the paragraphs next to the pictures. Was this intentional? I tend to think it's an artifact of my using Firefox in Linux.

Some of the images are a little big in file size -- Villas-at-Kadikoy.gif is probably 5-10 times the size it needs to be. Consider re-optimising that one and any others that are over 50k in size. This is particularly important for you, since on some of your pages you have 20 or more pictures!

Also, consider alt tags for the images -- they will help with accessibility and also with search engines.

The pool picture on the Villa Katife - Calis Beach page looks like it was taken just before it started to rain. When you get a chance, you should replace it with a sunnier picture. Your other pool pics are quite nice, so I'm sure this is just because of a lack of opportunity to get a great pic of that pool.

I think that even though the other site which I reviewed would have served fine, this is a great improvement.
Brooke
Jo Tomkinson

Post by Jo Tomkinson »

Thanks for taking the time to review the website.

I have tried the mouse-over on the photos on the home page, and nothing is happening, so not sure how I can change this so it suits all browsers etc.

You are write about the pool photo at Villa Katife. So frustrating, weather had been fantastic all week with bright blue skies. The only reason we didn't take the photo earlier was because we were waiting for new covers for the pump-house as the original ones were ugly. By the time they were fitted, we were leaving and, of course, it was dull.

I understand what you are saying about the photos being too big - I'll sort them.

And now to the technical comment "alt tags" for the pictures - I am such a novice at this, not sure how to go about this - can you advise?
florence99

Be carefull about your loading time

Post by florence99 »

Your site is far to slow to open.
Pleasse check this link:
http://www.1-hit.com/all-in-one/tool.lo ... hecker.htm