Mid-stay clean?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Bellywobble

Mid-stay clean?

Post by Bellywobble »

Apart from one long term rental and one couple who came for a week and stayed on for two, our guests so far have all been "one weekers".
We now have some two week bookings coming up, so I am wondering what to do about the "mid stay" clean? If this is as thorough as the "change over" clean, the cleaner will be in the apartment for quite some time, which could be intrusive. I would be interested to know what everyone else does for this? Towels, bedding and toilet are obvious but what else should or shouldn't be included? How do you work around their belongings?
Thanks.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had guests stay for about 10 or 11 days over the winter, my cleaner changed the linen mid-stay, cleaned the bathroom and hoovered. I don't think you can really intrude for too long mid-stay.
roxytoo

mid clean

Post by roxytoo »

I don't do a mid clean for bookings of two weeks (I do offer it as an extra but no-one has ever taken it up).
Ju

Post by Ju »

I do a mid stay clean.

I clean the bathrooms as per a changeover, dust and vacuum the bedrooms, change the beds, general clean in the living and kitchen areas. The differences between this and a changeover clean are, I don't do the fridge or the oven (though I do clean the hob) I don't mop anywhere except the kitchen and bathroom floors, and I an generally not quite so meticulous.

I try not to move belongings, but if there are things on the bed I fold them and put them to one side. I will tidy things like toys up, and straighten the living room but if there are too many things around I just leave them. The time taken tend to depend on whether the guests are in or out. If they are out I spend about three hours, but if they are in I just whip round quickly. People usually say - "don't bother doing the kitchen", or "just the beds will be fine".

One thing I like about the mid stay cleans is that I get to see how people actually use the properties, which people are in which bedrooms, which furniture they have moved. This often gives me ideas on how to make improvements.

By the way I don't change towels on the mid-week stay. I have washing machines in all the properties so guests can wash them themselves. As I provide both bath and pool towels changing them mid stay becomes a mamouth task.

Ju
enid

Post by enid »

I change beds and towels mid stay - I don't clean although i flick around the wash basins and loo - I did ask some returners advice about this last year and they said what I do was more than enough in their opinion - if I did a mid-stay clean they'd feel obliged to tidy away all their things!! - I remember that feeling when I had a cleaner in the UK.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ju,

Joan does the reverse.

For holiday lettings she supplies fresh bedding, towels, etc. at the end of each week but no cleaning is done.

For longer lettings she supplies two complete sets of everything but the tenants do their own laundry - a washing machine, a tumble dryer, a washing line and clothes horses are provided.

Alan
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

For a 'linen change day' we change all the beds, change bath mats and hand towels, clean all the bathrooms and if there are not too many personal belongings on the floor (in the bedrooms) sweep up. All our guests have been happy with this, apart from one family that booked in 2004 that expected a full clean on a linen change day..which normally takes us 4 hours!

I don't intrude on the living/dining room area, as our linen change time is 2pm which most often coincides with the guests having lunch downstairs.
Highams Park Harry

Post by Highams Park Harry »

I work on the basis that it's a home and not a hotel, so they get it all set up for them and it's their business after that, we leave a change of towels and bedding if it's a two week booking

They've got a washing machine and all the usual mops and hoovers and ironing board
Dordogne Holiday Cottage, sleeps eight
http://www.ruedelagare.co.uk
Ju

Post by Ju »

I work on the basis that it's a home and not a hotel,
The trouble with this is that most of our guests chose whether to go self catering or go to a hotel. I want them to come back, so I do everything I can to make their stay easier. I don't just rent out houses, I sell holidays!

Ju
Highams Park Harry

Post by Highams Park Harry »

Ju wrote:
I work on the basis that it's a home and not a hotel,
The trouble with this is that most of our guests chose whether to go self catering or go to a hotel. I want them to come back, so I do everything I can to make their stay easier. I don't just rent out houses, I sell holidays!

Ju
fair point, you can tell I'm a newboy
Dordogne Holiday Cottage, sleeps eight
http://www.ruedelagare.co.uk
enid

Post by enid »

I don't just rent out houses, I sell holidays!
I feel like that too - but that being said we each translate that into the extra services that we feel will enhanxc eour guests' stay and that may differ from guest to guest even.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

We offer the choice of
- linen left out for them to make a change, picked up by our cleaner and laundered for the next guests
- linen changed by our cleaner
- mid-clean

And make a deduction if they don't want a clean

John
debk

Post by debk »

For two-weekers, we leave an extra set of sheets for each bed and offer a mid-week clean.

The only guests to accept are some people currently in one of our apartments... but then they emailed and said there was no need: "Having a great time. Please don't bother with the clean on Saturday!"

So we're back to 100% decline which makes sense to me: I, too, get settled into a place and don't want someone coming in and fussing with my things. We once stayed at a place in northern Portugal that sent two maids in every morning for a week and it drove me batty. Felt like I had no privacy whatsoever but I assume it makes some people feel pampered.

Back to the point at hand: I think it's a good idea to offer the mid-stay clean, even if guests decide not to use it. Selling holidays and all that. :)
debk
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Many thanks for all the replies. Lots of useful information and ideas.
mindadowling

Post by mindadowling »

I for one insist on the cottage having a mid stay clean. This way my cleaner can keep an eye on how the house is being treated, report on any breakage and most of all decrease the amount of wear and tear the cottage gets by making sure everything is in perfect condition. So far none of my two week bookings have complained and I think they like the idea that when they return to the cottage on Saturday the place will be spotless. This also benefits my cleaner who is guaranteed an entire season of work.