German search phrases and listing sites

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi all,

It's a pleasure when I can help you. Let me note that German is my motherlanguage ( and also of my children ).

Keywords in german:

Ferienwohnung ( Ferien= holiday,wohnung= apartment)
Ferienwohnungen ( plural )
Unterkunft ( Unterkunft = Accomodation )
Unterkuenfte ( plural)
Ferienhaus ( Ferien=holiday, Haus = House )
Ferienhaeuser ( " , Haeuser= Houses )
Ferienapartment
Fewo ( abbreviation of Ferienwohnung)
preiswert ( good value)

This are the commun german substantives for this search theme. Ask me when you need special words.

Best Regards
Martin Wunder
www.france-paris.fr
tansy

Post by tansy »

Hello Martin

May I ask - what in your oinion is the best site for Germans to look at when choosing a destination?

No doubt you have seen all teh debates we have been having with holiday-rentals.com comming out very well - is their a site similar in your opinion for Germans.

we're 2 & half hours by train to Paris..we have a lot of folk going from here to Paris or vice versa - what accommodation do you have? may be we would be able to do an add on for our American visitors in particular.

many thanks

Tansy
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi,

The best german vacation rental site with listings worldwide is
http://www.fewo-direkt.de. They have a site in english with same content http://www.vacationvillas.net. Listing costs around 220 Euro.

Another good site is http://www.super-urlaub.de or http://www.urlaubstage.de . Listing costs around 60 Euro each.

I'd be pleased to put at least a reciprocal link for each of your properties or even being your represent in Germany. Evidently renters prefer to have a contact person in their country speaking their language. To know more about my Parisian vacation Rentals please visite my site.

Please contact me directly when you're interested.

Best Regards

Martin Wunder

www.france-paris.fr

Phone (011) 33 6 65 46 62 62

tansy wrote:Hello Martin

May I ask - what in your oinion is the best site for Germans to look at when choosing a destination?

No doubt you have seen all teh debates we have been having with holiday-rentals.com comming out very well - is their a site similar in your opinion for Germans.

we're 2 & half hours by train to Paris..we have a lot of folk going from here to Paris or vice versa - what accommodation do you have? may be we would be able to do an add on for our American visitors in particular.

many thanks

Tansy
paolo

Post by paolo »

Thanks for those phrases Martin.

I was told by a rental agency in Germany once that my prices were too high for them - they said that Germans are not prepared to pay as much for accommodation as British and Americans. Is this true in your experience?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi Paolo and Luca,

What you have been told is simply nonsens. I thing your property is in Provence. Germans know very well that France is an rather expensive vacation country. We in Germany have also suffered an increase of all prices with our new currency Euro - as the French.
Almost each German has been one time n life in Paris or France - because it's so nearby - and knows how expensive the life is.

But surely you'll find everywhere people trying to lodge for " an apple and an egg" as we say in german.

Best Regards

Martin Wunder

www.france-paris.fr

Phone (011) 33 6 65 46 62 62

paolo wrote:Thanks for those phrases Martin.

I was told by a rental agency in Germany once that my prices were too high for them - they said that Germans are not prepared to pay as much for accommodation as British and Americans. Is this true in your experience?
paolo

Post by paolo »

But surely you'll find everywhere people trying to lodge for " an apple and an egg" as we say in german.
I like that expression! I prefer it to the English version which is 'for peanuts'.

I have never had a German guest, because I have never advertised in German. But as John says elsewhere, you can handle rental enquiries using free online translation software. It's not ideal, but it is better than nothing. Then you just have to find a translator for your ad or a site that translates it for you, like vacationvillas.net.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

Well guys, there you have it - as Martin said, fewo-direkt seems to be the preferred site used by Germans and German speaking persons.
I have managed somehow to communicate and I don't speak German at all.
Germans make up about 50% of my guests and all of them seem to speak English anyway.
Malta – always in the sunshine!
paultwell

Post by paultwell »

Hello Martin,

I have just joined the forum and came across your very interesting post. I have looked at the websites that you recommended and have contacted http://www.super-urlaub.de/.

My German is a limited to what i can remember from school. I have asked them for their price and if they could help with translation for an advert for our property in Orlando.

Do you think the site would be useful for holidays in the states?

kind regards
paul twell
info@orlandoqualityvillas.com
www.orlandoqualityvillas.com
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Hello Martin,
I don't have my own web site yet, so can't offer a link with yours (you asked me about this, on another forum, I think).
What I can share with other members of this forum is our experience of German visitors: they are fantastic! They love &appreciate our property & leave it spotless.
BTW, the big German site you mentioned has the same layout as holiday-rentals: they work with holiday-rentals on this (Marcelle, MD of H-R told me this when I asked if they had copied H-R).
Alexia
http://perfectplaces.com/VictorianVilla.htm
http://perfectplaces.com/BeautifulOliveMill.htm.
Martin

Super-Urlaub

Post by Martin »

Hi Paul and all,

Listing for 1 year costs 56 Euro on www.super-urlaub.de. I would recommend to advertise on www.fewo-direkt.de. But they ask around 225 Euro yearly.

They are more known and have ads in each important german newpaper. Evidently I observe which german vacation rental site has good exposure in german newspapers. I live in this country. Fewo-direkt.de is always on the top.

" My German is a limited to what i can remember from school."

Let me know when you want me to correct your german text.

Best Regards

Martin Wunder
www.france-paris.fr
debk

List of "Vacation Rental" search terms in various

Post by debk »

Martin wrote:Hi all,

It's a pleasure when I can help you. Let me note that German is my motherlanguage ( and also of my children ).

Keywords in german:

Ferienwohnung ( Ferien= holiday,wohnung= apartment)
Ferienwohnungen ( plural )
Unterkunft ( Unterkunft = Accomodation )
Unterkuenfte ( plural)
Ferienhaus ( Ferien=holiday, Haus = House )
Ferienhaeuser ( " , Haeuser= Houses )
Ferienapartment
Fewo ( abbreviation of Ferienwohnung)
preiswert ( good value)

This are the commun german substantives for this search theme. Ask me when you need special words.

Best Regards
Martin Wunder
www.france-paris.fr
THANK YOU, Martin, for sharing these search terms! I just booked a rental to a German family. :D

Shall we create a laymyhat list of the most common holiday/vacation rental search terms for various languages? French? Italian? Spanish? Other?
paolo

Post by paolo »

Shall we create a laymyhat list of the most common holiday/vacation rental search terms for various languages? French? Italian? Spanish? Other?
Yes, let's do it!

If I were fluent in any of those languages I would contribute. North Europeans are important too.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
debk

Dutch anyone?

Post by debk »

Exactly, Paolo! I, too, am hoping to hear from native speakers who could give a nice complete listing of terms for us from the mindset of someone who thinks in their language.

To start things off, I just asked a friend in Holland how she and her fellow citizens would search for a vacation rental home on the net... and she replied "In English." Ha. Then she offered the following:

Vakantiewoningen te huur
Apartement

I googled them and they appeared to work. (Though it was all Dutch to me.)

I'm still hoping to see more from native speakers of various languages. Thanks, all.
Duchess

VIelen Dank!

Post by Duchess »

Danke Schoen!

Both my husband and I speak German (husband is fluent) and I have forgotten an awful lot. We do have our site translated but have yet to upload.

Does anyone know when do Germans tend to take their holidays, I seem to remember May and June is full of alot of public holidays in Deutchland. The Germans I know tend to travel all year round, is this practice normal.

Will go an upload our site now.
paolo

Post by paolo »

The Germans I know tend to travel all year round, is this practice normal.
Duchess, I think you are talking about the German nobility, so perhaps not representative. :lol:
Paolo
Lay My Hat