Martin Okudo.... Scam?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
JulieR

Martin Okudo.... Scam?

Post by JulieR »

Received the email below today, seems odd so am presuming it's a scam.???? :shock:

Good day Sir/Madam,
I am MARTIN OKUDO of BlueBird Travel
Agency,SCOTLAND.I need to book a reservation for a
group of four (4) delegates coming from London.
Arrival Date:15th juLY,2006
Departure Date:29TH juLY,2006
Number Of Rooms:2 with double bed or 4 single Rooms
Length of Stay:14 Nights
Names Of
Guest.............................................Age
1.Davis
Brown..............................................32
2.Elizabeth
Mayor..........................................35
3.Garcia
Allens.............................................28
4.Clark
Bright...............................................30
Get back to me if the dates mentioned above are
free,so that we can book reservations immediately with
my CREDIT CARD.
Your prompt response will be appreciated.
Regards,
MARTIN OKUDO
Reservation Agent,
+447031906239
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

The telephone number is a giveaway, apart from the fact that a genuine travel agent would give a less general address than "SCOTLAND". :roll:
Chalky

cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

I agree, a scam - why would he need to ask for or give you the ages of adults?

John
ramon

martin okudo scam?

Post by ramon »

Just two emails received to do a reservation for my apartment: Good Day, I need to book reservation for 4 delegates coming to your country for holiday and also the dates will be on October 1st NOV to 10TH NOVE 2006. However, they will be 4 People and what they need is 2 rooms. So calculate and let me know the total amount involved for the whole servicesincluding breakfast and taxes in 10 days, which they have to stay in your house. What could be the total cost for the whole services? Get back to me if the dates mentioned above are free, so that we can book reservations immediately. Thank you and have a nice day. BELOW ARE THE NAMES OF THE GUEST. (FEMALES) MARY QUEEN ANN LISA (MALES) FRANK JAMES PETER NEWMAN Kind Regards, MR.MARTIN OKUDO

Hello
Thank you for your response.I appreciate your
assistance so far in securing accomodation for our
DELEGATES.I am glad to tell you that we have concluded
payment with the team.We are going to send you the
Credit Card that will cover the cost of our
accomodation for the selected period,and the necessary
arrangment for the team.
Moreover, we also made an arrangement with a pre paid
Transport Agency who will take care of our flight
arrangements and transport needs during our entire
stay,but because of security reasons and
confidentiality,It is not safe to share the card
information with a third party.We have decided that
only one person will have to handle the credit card
information. so once you are in receipt of it,you are
required to charge the credit card,confirm the amount
of {5140euros)in your account then deduct {1140euros ) forward (4000euros) to the Transport agent whose information
will be forwarded to you also with the list of guests
and exact arrival time once this arrangement is
confirmed.
So confirm this arrangement and provide me with your
1) YOUR FULL NAME
2) ADDRESS
3) PHONE NUMBERS
Looking forward to a warm hospitality
Regards
delikri

SO WHAT IS THE OUTCOME?

Post by delikri »

RECEIVED THE SAME E-MAIL TODAY AS WELL.

Good Day, I need to book reservation for 4 delegates coming to your country for holiday and also the dates will be on October 1st NOV to 10TH NOVE 2006. However, they will be 4 People and what they need is 2 rooms. So calculate and let me know the total amount involved for the whole servicesincluding breakfast and taxes in 10 days, which they have to stay in your house. What could be the total cost for the whole services? Get back to me if the dates mentioned above are free, so that we can book reservations immediately. Thank you and have a nice day. BELOW ARE THE NAMES OF THE GUEST. (FEMALES) MARY QUEEN ANN LISA (MALES) FRANK JAMES PETER NEWMAN
Kind Regards, MR.MARTIN OKUDO

Hello
Thank you for your response.I appreciate your
assistance so far in securing accomodation for our
DELEGATES.I am glad to tell you that we have concluded
payment with the team.We are going to send you the
Credit Card that will cover the cost of our
accomodation for the selected period,and the necessary
arrangment for the team.
Moreover, we also made an arrangement with a pre paid
Transport Agency who will take care of our flight
arrangements and transport needs during our entire
stay,but because of security reasons and
confidentiality,It is not safe to share the card
information with a third party.We have decided that
only one person will have to handle the credit card
information. so once you are in receipt of it,you are
required to charge the credit card,confirm the amount
of {5214euros)in your account then deduct {1214euros ) forward (4000euros) to the Transport agent whose information
will be forwarded to you also with the list of guests
and exact arrival time once this arrangement is
confirmed.
1) YOUR FULL NAME
2) ADDRESS
3) PHONE NUMBERS
Looking forward to a warm hospitality
Regards
delikri

Post by delikri »

And that previous one was sent to Estonia
Reme

Martin Okudo

Post by Reme »

Hi
I am new to this but I have also received a message from Mr Okudo that goes as follows:
HELLO, I WANT TO MAKE A RESERVATION FOR 4 GUEST FROM 10TH OF NOVEMBER TILL 20TH OF NOVEMBER. THE GUEST WILL REQUIRE TWO DOUBLE ROOMS OR 4 SINGLE ROOMS. KINDLY CALCULATE AND LET ME KNOW THE TOTAL COST SO THAT I WILL SEND YOU MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS FOR THE PAYMENTS, I HOPE YOU HAVE A CREDIT CARD FACILITY? HERE ARE THE NAMES OF THE GUEST; 1.MR WALETR SMITH 2.MR.DANIEL JONES 3.MS.JANE SMITH 4.MS. LILIAN JONES REGARDS, MARTIN OKUDO TEL:0044-7024-099-384

What made me suspicious was that he asked for two double rooms or 4 singles and also the interest on the credit card facilities.
We are fed up with receiving e-mails from so called agencies making reservations and then asking for us to purchase mobile phones or computers on their behalf only to get a visit from the local police wanting to know why we used a stolen card to purchase the items.
Regards
Reme
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Reme, then why do you continue to accept the bookings? Once bitten, twice shy springs to mind. A tip from all of us, ignore all emails asking for lots or rooms, breakfast, and requests for equipment.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

We are fed up with receiving e-mails from so called agencies making reservations and then asking for us to purchase mobile phones or computers on their behalf only to get a visit from the local police wanting to know why we used a stolen card to purchase the items.
Reme, sorry but I am a bit confused as to why you have made purchases for equipment for people who made reservations that you don't even know?

Again the phrase 'once bitten twice shy' comes to mind!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Also, why are you using your clients card to buy these items? You are not the cardholder.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Reme,
What makes you suspicious is anyone who is asking to pay you before they even know how much it's going to cost. The bed configuration is a minor issue by comparison.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Looking at the email Im a bit worried about the names
:shock: [alias Smith & Jones]comes to mind.
Hes trying to think of English names and this is the best he can do.

IM A BIT WORRIED THAT HE HASNT WORKED OUT WHERE THE CAPS LOCK SPACE IS EITHER oh there it is silly me. :oops:
Reme

okudo

Post by Reme »

Hi
I have never accepted one of this suspicious bookings but reading on other forums I haved realised that they are a few gulible owners who never questioned the reason why the "clients" could not order the items themselves or maybe bought them out of the expected "rewards" that they were offered (ie 500 euros comission in some cases).
In one case the owner of a rural hotel was visited by the local guardia wanting to know why she charged aroung 9000 euros onto a stolen card to pay for the accomodation and also some laptops.
Reme
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

:oops: Sorry Reme, I mis-read your email!

In the type of scam you have just mentioned alarm bells would definitely ring with me straightaway if someone wanted to give me 'commission' to buy electrical equipment for them! From what you say they are now involving gullible people to act illegally for them too!
Reme

New Scam

Post by Reme »

Hi
I have been having a bit of an interesting "chat" with a supposed client who made me suspicious from the beginning.
I don't think that he will be back to confirm the rooms.
By the way, what type of cars do you think he was renting........limos?

Reme
----- Original Message -----
To: reservas@cortijobarranco.com
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 1:31 PM
Subject: Enquiry

Hello, I am Prof.Philip Schooles of Bristol Agency Ltd.I want to book a reservation in your rooms for my clients of the Faculty of Health/Social care of the University of West England(UWE).They will be coming for a research project on Community health Care Scheme,led by Prof.Rebecca Boden of the same faculty.They are 6 persons,so we would need an accomodation for them from the 20th of November to 24th November 2006.Do let me know if the rooms are available. Awaiting your response. Regards, Prof.Philip Schooles. Phone no:+447024053201

To: of.philip_schooles@yahoo.co.uk
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: Enquiry

Dear Prof. Schooles,
Will you be needing 3 double bedded or twin bedded rooms or do they prefer single rooms?
The double and twin bedded rooms are available at 70 euros per night and the single rooms are 53 euros per night. Please note that the breakfast is 4 euros per person and day and that the prices do not include tax.
Many regards
Remedios

To: Correo Barranco
Sent: Saturday, September 09, 2006 4:03 PM
Subject: Total cost for our reservation

Hello,
Thanks for your e-mail.We request that you reserve 6 single rooms for the delegates. Please do calculate and confirm to us the total cost including all tax for the entire stay of the delegates.I also wish to inform you that payment for our reservation will be made at once by the sponsor of the delegates to the summit.
I hope you accept VISA card for payment?
Best regards,
Prof.Philip Schooles

Correo Barranco <reservas@cortijobarranco.com> wrote:
Dear Prof. Schooles
The total price of the stay for 4 nights from the 20th to the 24th of November is of 1463,76 euros and that will include 6 single rooms plus breakfast for the duration.
If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact us.
Many regards
Remedios

To: Correo Barranco
Sent: Saturday, September 09, 2006 7:13 PM
Subject: Payment arrangement/confirmation

Hello Remedios,
Thanks for your reply.We are going to send you the Credit Card Information that will cover the the cost of our accomodation,and the necessary arrangement for the delegates.

Moreover,we also made an arrangement with a pre paid car hiring firm who will supply the delegates with cars they will use during their stay,but because of security reasons and confidentiality,It is not safe to share the card information with a third party.We have decided that only one person will have to handle the credit card information.

So once you are in receipt of it,you are required to charge the credit card,confirm the amount of {6,463.76 euros},in your account then deduct the total cost for your services {1,463.76 euros}then send {5,000 euros}to the car hiring agent whose information will be forwarded to you also with the list of guests and exact arrival time once this arrangement is confirmed.

1) YOUR FULL NAME
2) ADDRESS
3) PHONE NUMBERS for office records.
Please remember that the integrity of our agency is involved, so this business requires prompt response. I also hope the stay of the delegates will be made comfortable.
Kind regards,
Prof. Philip Schooles
Phone no:+447024053201

Dear Prof. Schooles,
I regret to have to inform you that we are unable to comply with your instructions as there is a limit on how much we can charge a card.
We have been advised by the Spanish Police that there is a lot of organised crime in where someone pretends to book hotel accomodation and the staff reserving them get asked to send a certain amount of money by Western Union or other means only for the hotel to loose this money when the card turns out to be stolen.
Many regards
Remedios