Websites stats analysis

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
mpprh

Websites stats analysis

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I've just loaded the Google analytics package and started to look into the reports.

They are far more detailled than those I've come across before both via the host and via html coded products.

It will make a huge difference to the way I run my website.

At present, it is only available by invitation from google.

You can apply for an invitation, and read about it here : http://www.google.com/analytics

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks for the tip Peter, I've signed up so fingers crossed!
marcus

Post by marcus »

I've been using Google Analytics for a while. I love it. And there are still about 100 functions I haven't got to grips with yet.
Try 'site overlay' to see which pages people go to from any other page, or 'bounce rate' to see which pages they leave your site from.
Awesome.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

marcus wrote:I've been using Google Analytics for a while. I love it. And there are still about 100 functions I haven't got to grips with yet.
Try 'site overlay' to see which pages people go to from any other page, or 'bounce rate' to see which pages they leave your site from.
Awesome.
Yes, I've delayed any posts about it because I haven't found all the options, and can't think how to summarise what I have found.

A very few features I've found :

Most reports can be selected hourly, daily, monthly, annually

Review countries, select highest pages per visit, drill down to city, check what keywords these people used to enter the site (or up to 15 other criteria)

In reverse, select pages, check those with highest views for source of visit, keyword, city, etc.

Using funnel, see how people got to any page, then where they went next

Check what % are using ADSL, dial up, corporate, cable etc.

Referral analysis, then drill down for more info

Still lots to learn.

However, 1 flaw I may have found : the visitor numbers are less than my host reports. Could be it misses some, or filters out certain categories. I've noticed the same thing with other HTML based stats products.

Once it has enough data, I will change my advertising rates from No of pages to number of views.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
david a

Post by david a »

Susan wrote:Thanks for the tip Peter, I've signed up so fingers crossed!
Hi Susan

I'm not sure if this is still the case but if you have google ads it comes with analytics (this is pay per click to your site) so you might not need to apply

David
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've added google analytics to my homepage and gone on my website a few times in the last half hour but nothing is being recorded. Does it work in real time, like statcounter does?
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Thanks from me too Peter, I've just signed on for Analytics too.

However, although I have added the tracking code as instructed, whenever I check the tracking status, it keeps saying that the tracking has not been added, even though I believe I have added it correctly! Did you have any problems adding the tracking code?

Susan, from the little I have managed to glean so far, I thought it only updated the stats once per day? So maybe that is why it isn't recording your visits? I could be wrong though - as you can see from my question to Peter above, I am a novice in this area!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

CatherineS,
I've now read some of the help (which was quite helpful!). It can take up to 24 hrs for the stats to be read and I don't think it is until this time that the tracking shows as having been added. I'll get worried if I have nothing tomorrow morning!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

We use Statcounter and the stats are instant.
marcus

Post by marcus »

Hi

Yes, once a day they update Analytics.

I expect you'll be up early on the morning with the excitement...
Susan, I imagine you have AwStats as well (through your cpanel) - they at least should be telling you roughly how many visitors you are getting each day etc
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I hope Paolo is happy with this.

I'm posting details of available stats as they develop (and as I find them) here.

I have lots more to learn about google analytics.

The total visitors are still less than the server stats. And this is the same result that I've experienced with all HTML stats programs I've tried.

The big benefit of google analytics is that it is anonymous. No ads !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've got my data today - but it doesn't seemto give me as much detail as Statcounter (which updates in real time). I haven't had enough time to compare it to my Awstats yet, but will see how the figures tally up. It's difficult as the time snapshots are presumably different!