Anyone renting in Cyprus??

For topics that are specific to a country not covered above, please go here.
david a

Post by david a »

Thanks Marion

I have been looking at google earth and i think it is improving all the time as you can see Paphos in more detail but it doesn't cover Peyia yet, but i'd be interested in how you get on with google earth.

Well I'm of to Cyprus tomorrow and can't wait. Hopefully i'll be able to visit some of your areas. I'll post when i get back and let you know how i got on.

Maybe if we keep posting about Cyprus here our friend Paolo will give us our own Cyprus Section.

Yassas

David
Angel

Post by Angel »

Have a wonderful time, David, as I know you will.

Hear from you on your return. If you want any info while you're there, feel free to PM me.

Bye for now
david a

Post by david a »

Hello guys

Back from a fantastic holiday and have been working on the website for next years bookings so havn't posted for a while.
Thought you might like to take a look at this website if you havn't allready seem it it's called www.showmecyprus.com, found our place on it but under the shadow of a cloud so not very clear

Dave
Angel

Post by Angel »

Hi Dave

Hope you got over to the east and had a good look around!

I've just got back from a rest in Tenerife and am over the moon that May through August is almost fully booked for our place next year. And I still haven't done a proper website.

ShowMeCyprus is still in its infancy. No detail for the east yet. I find it clunky compared to Google Earth but I guess it's more accessible for many.
david a

Post by david a »

Hi Angel

Had three days in Ayia Napa and really liked it though it was nice to get back to our place, i think we were there about twenty years late and our hellraising days are over.

Well done for getting booked out so soon, we have only had one enquiry so far and it clashed with our holiday so a no goer

hope you don't mind me asking but have most of your bookings come from villa rentals system or are they repeat bookings? i am looking for new ways of advertising and was thinking of trying them, any advise greatly received.

David
Angel

Post by Angel »

Hi David

I've had two repeat bookings this year... from people buying their own places. Next year's bookings have mostly come from holidaylettings. I've had two bookings through Villarenters - one for four weeks! - again, someone buying locally.

I'm sure the bookings are because I'm charging reasonable rates compared to the competition. Just wish I could get more in low season as Kapparis is open all year, but the lack of flights to Larnaca is off-putting. And people don't want a 2hr+ drive after a 4hr+ flight to Paphos.

Why not try VR? I like it because of the automated booking system and the credit/debit card facility. The calendar/pricing thing is good too. Now part of the Daily Mail group, as is Teletext Holidays, so their marketing should improve.

I really do think that people want to book online nowadays, and not have to email/fill in online forms. They can "book" on VR and have a couple of days to find the best flights... the booking isn't definite until they pay the deposit. (BTW, First Choice have got some excellent 2007 flight prices at thre moment.)

HTH
david a

Post by david a »

Thanks Marion

Do you divert all your bookings to villa rentals even if they come form somewhere else. I ask because if (for example) i take a booking over the phone and can't get to a computer to update the calenders is there a chance of double bookings?.

I am also trying for more out of season bookings so i am working on my website to push things which may be done out of season ie- cycling, walking, golf,photography that sort of thing and then look for forums where i can put in a little plug. I think anything is worth a try.

Thanks for the flights tip. you could also try B A we got 4 flights for £650.00 much less than we paid for this year

Cheers

David
Angel

Post by Angel »

Hi David

All my bookings are taken by VR because I prefer to trade electronically as it's automagical.

If you don't have Instant Bookings turned on (which was useful when I was on holiday), you get an email asking you to confirm or decline the booking. So no chance of double bookings.

You can also give auto discounts by setting up promo codes. So you could offer 10% for repeat bookings, for example.

HTH
david a

Post by david a »

Hi Angel

Thanks for the advice and tips.

I am going to start work on VR in the next couple of weeks.

I'll let you know how i get on

Regards

David
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Hi David and Angel

I am toying with the idea of signing up with Villarenters but am a bit put off by their 10% commission. I think I read somewhere else on this forum that they charge 3.25% to pay by credit card. Does the client pay this or you??

Did either of you start advertising before you property was finished. I want to start now but am sure that an artists impression picture will not generate many bookings!!

Michelle
Angel

Post by Angel »

The last few posts really ought to go in a Villarenters topic!

It is complicated. I suggest you read the FAQ at http://www.rentalsystems.com/faq/view_faq.asp?ref=1065

Also see http://www.rentalsystems.com/faq/view_faq.asp?ref=1235 - VR clients get charged 1.5% for CC payments.

Be careful of taking bookings close to expected completion date. My first clients were originally booked into another apartment but it wasn't ready in time!

And you could have one of the photos regularly updated and dated to show progress. I'm sure some people would like the idea of a brand new place to rent.

HTH
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Thanks Marion

Our villa should be finished by December, well it better be as we've booked our flights!! I can't envisage getting any bookings between january and April really, it would be lovely if we did though.

Do you get any bookings out of season?

Michelle
david a

Post by david a »

VillaTatiana wrote:Hi David and Angel

Did either of you start advertising before you property was finished. I want to start now but am sure that an artists impression picture will not generate many bookings!!

Michelle
Hello Michelle

We did start advertising before completion but gave ourselves a couple of months leeway in case it wasn't ready, but to be honest we didn't get much interest. However if your place is going to be ready in december the quicker you get some finished photos advertising your place the better, last year we took four bookings in January (for the summer months) and had a lot of inquiries.

With regards to winter bookings we this is our first full year so difficult to tell but i think there like blue moons.

Regards

David
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Hi David

I've just put our property on Holiday lettings!! I can't see many people being interested to be honest but you never know. At least the advert will be up and running and all we have to do in December is add the new photos.

I'm surprised that Cyprus doesn't have a better winter season, maybe if cheaper flights were introduced it might happen??

Michelle
david a

Post by david a »

Hello Michelle

Good luck with the lettings, I think your wise to get it up and running so you can upload the photos when you get them.

I have just uploaded my new look website which i tweaked to include a cycling and golf page in a bid to get more bookings out of season.

I plan to and a new page every week or two with different activities to do through the cooler months,

Regards

David