A pedant's guide to apostrophes

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
sleekitbeastie

Post by sleekitbeastie »

Don't worry, there will be no typos - I am a copywriter and very pedantic!
OK, but just to underline my point and offer let me say gently that as this is a forum for "holiday rental owners" in the plural shouldn't laymyhat.com be " The Rental Owners' Guide" - we are plural there as well? Now that is pedantry! Being Irish makes me curiously sensitive to English grammar - my father claimed "an Irishman's regard for the English language".
paolo

Post by paolo »

as this is a forum for "holiday rental owners" in the plural shouldn't laymyhat.com be "The Rental Owners' Guide"
No - it can be either. I used to edit a Buyer's Guide and spent longer than is healthy deciding whether it should be a Buyers' Guide instead. In the end I decided I wanted to be talking to the individual, as is the case here.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
sleekitbeastie

Post by sleekitbeastie »

paolo wrote:
as this is a forum for "holiday rental owners" in the plural shouldn't laymyhat.com be "The Rental Owners' Guide"
No - it can be either. I used to edit a Buyer's Guide and spent longer than is healthy deciding whether it should be a Buyers' Guide instead. In the end I decided I wanted to be talking to the individual, as is the case here.
No it can't. The rule is actually quite simple. If there is a single buyer or owner then it is 's; if there is more than one owner then it's s'. That is the standard rule of English. Check Fowler's (There was just the one Fowler) or any other authority. If you are addressing a single owner than you had better tell us which one so that the rest of us don't read it!
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

ah ... that old chestnut!

I was deciding on the subtitle for one of my sites and came up with ....

"a traveller's and settler's guide" Much discussion ensued about the apostrophes between my friends and colleagues, to the point where we actually made a post at the 'Apostrophe Protection Society' website.

What resulted was on of the longest threads that they had running at the time! With some excellent 'expert' advice and opinions.

Armed with that advice, i'd say you are both right .... either / or is acceptable depending on 'viewpoint'.

From the viewpoint of the 'reader' my site was a "traveller's and settler's guide" because that traveller and / or settler used it.

From the viewpoint of the 'majority' my site was a "travellers' and settlers' guide" because it could be used by many travellers and / or settlers.

From the viewpoint of the 'author', my site was a "travellers and settlers guide" because it was aimed at people who travel and / or settle.

In my own case, i eventually 'settled' on "a guide for travellers and settlers"

Hope that helps (though i know it wont) :)
paolo

Post by paolo »

If there is a single buyer or owner then it is 's; if there is more than one owner then it's s'.
Nobody would dispute that. However, 'Rental Owners' Guide' is an abbreviated form of 'Guide for Rental Owners'. I prefer 'Guide for the Rental Owner' - hence 'Rental Owner's Guide'.

Let's not lose sleep over it!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
sleekitbeastie

Post by sleekitbeastie »

livinginitaly wrote:ah ... that old chestnut!

I was deciding on the subtitle for one of my sites and came up with ....

"a traveller's and settler's guide" Much discussion ensued about the apostrophes between my friends and colleagues, to the point where we actually made a post at the 'Apostrophe Protection Society' website.

What resulted was on of the longest threads that they had running at the time! With some excellent 'expert' advice and opinions.

Armed with that advice, i'd say you are both right .... either / or is acceptable depending on 'viewpoint'.

From the viewpoint of the 'reader' my site was a "traveller's and settler's guide" because that traveller and / or settler used it.

From the viewpoint of the 'author', my site was a "travellers and settlers guide" because it was aimed at people who travel and / or settle.

In my own case, i eventually 'settled' on "a guide for travellers and settlers"

Hope that helps (though i know it wont) :)
I love the Apostrophe Protection Society and this is an interesting response - however the enthusiasts aren't always right. How many times do you hear such enthusiast claim that the correct plural of referendum is referenda? My point was the site headed Owner's makes reference to plural owners no fewer than 6 times on the first page. One or the other Paulo, not both.

We use editors who have held positions as copy or chief copy editor on weighty reference works as Grove, OED, DNB .... I invariably defer to their judgement - I value my life too much. The verdict was unanimous. If there were 6 sets of owners in the body of the text then the heading should also refer to owners in the plural.

That is my final posting on the subject - it isn't worth it.
paolo

Post by paolo »

One or the other Paulo, not both.
It's Paolo, actually!

I don't agree with your editors, but that's the beauty of the language, there isn't always a right and a wrong.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
sleekitbeastie

Post by sleekitbeastie »

paolo wrote:It's Paolo, actually!

If you listen carefully you can hear the sound of petards being hoist all over the North Cotentin. When up on a pedantic hobby horse you shoot yourself in the foot with a mistake like that. Abject apologies. Now, about mixing metaphors...
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

At last i have found a group as pedantic as myself. I was already wondering if I should have registered (first post today) as I have already spotted a couple of references to FORUMS.
Am I the only person who shouts stadia, referenda and FORA at the radio-or indeed finds my wrath rising when I hear an otherwise educated oerson on the radio say that TV is the correct media (medium please) to use for whatever the subject is.
Sorry I feel better now-perhaps its bedtime!!!
:lol:
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome Fiona,

I think you will find at least two of us here are like-minded, but I draw the line at fora, because who will know what it means? It looks like a mis-spelling of flora.

A couple of years ago I heard a radio interview with the spokesperson for the Wembley Stadium bid (when the location of the new stadium was in doubt), and she said over and over again 'this stadia...' She clearly thought she was being very clever. Needless to say they won the bid.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Since you're all having such fun, let me join in.
Fiona ("Am I the only person who shouts stadia, referenda and FORA at the radio-or indeed finds my wrath rising ") - why didn't you write i)"or indeed finds her wrath rising"?
or ii)or indeed finds his/her wrath rising?
or iii)or indeed finds her/his wrath rising?
(Anybody out there who thinks another possibility would be "finds his wrath rising" - go back to 1900 and forfeit your rental property.......)
Best,
Alexia.
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

I did realise that entering this topic would be a minefield. Please let me point out that I am no English scholar and I make plenty of mistakes!!! I guess mt previous enrty has already made that clear and you are absolutely right her wrath does read so much better and is of course correct.
sleekitbeastie

Post by sleekitbeastie »

Fiona wrote:Am I the only person who shouts stadia, referenda and FORA
Stadia OK, fora OK but referenda NO! Stadium and forum can reasonably be said to have Latin form plurals as they are Latin nouns. Referendum is not a Latin noun so there is no basis to claim a Latin form plural. Just for the super-pedantic referendum in Latin is a gerund and therefore has no plural form. One might just as well invent a normal English plural as a false Latin one. I know this because when I shouted ‘referenda’ at the radio I quickly realised that the voice which answered was the editor of the OED and I’m sure he got a higher mark that the 8% I got in Latin.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

sleekitbeastie,

Chambers Dictionary gives either -da or -dums as the plural of referendum, it's optional.

The word's root in Latin is a neuter gerundive of referre, to refer.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

We're really hitting the depths now... :)
Paolo
Lay My Hat